Fins Wheels Feet Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 29s
Overall Rank = 5/393
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am, got dressed, packed the car and checked out of the hotel. Ate a bowl of fruit salad an had a Snickers Marathon bar, then swung through 7-11 for coffee and a donut. Event parking was over a mile from the start/transition so everyone had to haul their gear on their bikes.
Event warmup:

Hit the lake for a bit of swimming but nothing formal.
Swim
  • 27m 25s
  • 1609 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

The first ~200m was good old fashioned combat swimming. I got knocked around a good bit but eventually everyone spread out and found their own place. I managed to find myself a set of feet to follow for a while but I'm still learning to sit in the draft. The swim is advertised as a mile but it was probably a bit on the long side...it sure felt long. By the time I made the turn to head back to the beach I was starting to feel the heat build up and was definitely overheating by the end. I still don't know how to push myself on the swim like I can do through the rest of the race. Swimming is definitely my biggest limiter and this is where I lost about 3min to the leaders, which was about the margin to the winner when all was said and done.

Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Had a hard time getting the wetsuit off over my feet and that probably cost me a good 15sec.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 17s
  • 24.2 miles
  • 23.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Boring bike course but it was kind of cool to keep an eye on the comeptition as we zipped back and forth. After the first lap things started to get a little sketchy since there was a lot of slower traffic entering the course. There were several times when I was ripping down a long hill at 35mph and people would be riding down the middle of the lane or riding 2 wide. I had to get on the brakes hard twice to avoid taking someone out or bailing over the curb. I didn't have any guidelines for pacing with my PM for shorter races like this and the hills mad it a little more tricky. I didn't really pay much attention to the PM except to make sure I didn'[t hammer too hard on the ups. Normalized Power ended up being a bit under 90% FT and I guess I ran reasonably well so maybe I could have pushed it a bit harder.
What would you do differently?:

Training in the hills would help. Running my 12-25 cassette probably would have kept me comfortably in the big ring through the entire course but the gear changes really didn't bother me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Decent transition. After dismounting the bike you had to drop down a very steep grass/dirt bank into the transition area...interesting.
Run
  • 36m 24s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 05m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Run course was definitely short. The hills were brutal for a flatlander but I just kept chugging along. It felt like I didn't have a very good run overall but apparently it wasn't so bad compared to everyone else.
Post race
Warm down:

Took off back on the run course for an easy 15min jog.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on the hills.

Event comments:

It's a nice location in general but the bike course is especially limited (4 laps) by the local community and the event parking is well over a mile from the transition area. the overall organization ws good and I think they made the best of what they had to work with.

Last updated: 2007-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:25 | 1609 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 26/393
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Elite full
Course: Out and back in a lake:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:17 | 24.2 miles | 23.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 8/393
Performance: Good
Work: 812kJ TSS: 79.1 IF: 0.875 Norm Power: 228W VI: 1.04 Avg Power: 219W Avg Cadence: 97rpm
Wind: None
Course: Moderate hilly 4 lap circuit up and down the main drag of the neighborhood: [IMG]http://www.finswheelsfeet.com/images/lakemontclairimages/lakemontclairbikecourse.gif[\IMG]
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:24 | 06.2 miles | 05m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 3/393
Performance: Good
Course: Very hilly loop through the neighborhood: [IMG]http://www.finswheelsfeet.com/images/lakemontclairimages/lakemontclairruncourse.gif[/IMG]
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-26 2:32 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Lake Montclair Triathlon

2007-06-26 3:31 PM
in reply to: #861286

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Lake Montclair Triathlon
Nice race Joel!  And just when I think you can't get any faster...you do. 
2007-06-30 7:19 PM
in reply to: #861286

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Lake Montclair Triathlon

Apparently I can't post HTML code in the report so I'll stick the course maps here.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Montclair Triathlon Rss Feed