General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flovilla, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 44s
Overall Rank = 129/484
Age Group = Female 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00 and was in the car for the hourish drive down I-75 by 5:20. Ate a half a bagel with cream cheese and drank a Propel on the way down there. Got a pretty awesome parking spot and headed to transition. Saw a few BTers that I knew and set up transition area. Drank some more water and basically just wandered around looking for people that I knew until around 7:30 or so.
Event warmup:

Lou (LHablas) and I headed down to the lake to do a few lengths in the water. I hate, hate, hate lake bottoms, but luckily I was able to walk in where it was sandy and then get on my stomach pretty quickly. The water felt SO warm and good! I think I did about 200 meters or so warmup. Then I sat in the 'swimming area' staying warm and talking to other BTers.
Swim
  • 10m 37s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up in the front of my wave and treaded water waiting for the start (I wasn't about to put my feet down on that nasty lake bottom!). As soon as the gun went off, I took off with one other girl on my left and one moving quickly off to my right. By the first buoy, the girl on my left had tapered down and so I knew that I was the 2nd girl in the water. My stroke felt awesome and almost effortless. We caught up with the men in the wave ahead of us once we made the turn onto the back stretch. Ran into some traffic here, but I tried to stay to the left (near the buoys) and I pushed around most anyone in the way. Finished the swim feeling strong and started run up this huge hill to transition. I could hear people yelling '2nd ladies out' so I knew that there was someone right behind me. I knew that the chips weren't going to register until we hit transition so I kicked it up a notch so I'd be ahead of her on the 'swim'.
What would you do differently?:

Not much - pretty decent swim for me. I still think that I could have pushed a little harder, but I haven't been training for sprint distances so it's hard to guage a pace until after you're finished with the race.

1/19 AG
3/127 Females
19/484 Overall
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Once we got into transition, I ran to my spot. Had a little trouble getting my socks and shoes on, but nothing major. Once I was ready, I was afraid that I was going to slip all the way down the hill in transition to the mount line so I might have been a little cautious running.

Same routine - different venue. :) It was a pretty large transition so I'm not worried about the time.

3/19 AG
16/127 Females
95/484 Overall
Bike
  • 38m 53s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Don't you hate it when you build up a nice lead in the swim and you get passed by 3 girls in your age group on the bike? I thought that I was handling the course fairly well. Shifting up the hills was great and I was happy with my cadence throughout, but I just seemed to be losing ground to these power house bikers. I wish that I could remember something remarkable about the bike leg, but it just seemed to be over with before I knew it. I drank about 12 ozs of water from my aerobottle and about 6 ozs of gatorade throughout the bike.

Bike is gradually becoming a stronger event for me, but I'm still looking for that extra edge that is going to have me up there with the other gals. Maybe my legs just are in a longer distance type mode right now.

5/19 AG
29/127 Females
207/484 Overall
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

I love T2. If there was a race of just T2, I think that I might have a chance of winning it overall. :) Bike up, biking shoes off, running shoes on, visor and number in hand and I was off.

Nothing. The run through transition takes a *little* while.

1/19 AG
4/127 Females
29/484 Overall
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah, the run. I have not been having so many great runs lately. I lost some speed over the winter while I was building up my bike base (and not doing my run workouts), so I was curious to see what my run time would look like for this 5k. I left the TA feeling pretty good and knew that I was in 4th in my age group as of the moment and I also knew that *probably* no one in my AG was going to be pulled out as overall winners. I felt great up to mile 1. I was feeling my 5 mile run from the night before as I headed up hills, but as soon as there was uphill, there was a downhill or flat to keep me going. I just kept telling myself to plod through the uphills and I would get there eventually.

After coming through the last campground (around mile 2.25) or so, i ran into a girl with a 26 on the back of her leg. All I could think was 'Maybe I'll just run behind her for a little bit and then at the very end, I'll sprint ahead of her'. Only problem with this is that I was running just a bit too hard for her pace up the hills. So I passed her and then the next thing I knew she was coming up on me strong (I think that she saw the number on MY leg). She passed me, but didn't have the strength to stay there. I caught up with her again with about 1/4 of a mile to go and picked up my pace a little bit. I had no clue where she was, but I knew that once I got to the grassy area I could basically sprint the whole way in. So that's what I did. And luckily, she did play 'chase the rabbit' that day.

I'm just going to keep training intervals and getting my long runs in. I'm bound to get faster, right?

4/19 AG
35/127 Females
211/484 Overall
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to people that I knew. Cheered other BTers into the finish line. Looked at results. Put my stuff in my car. Hung around for the awards ceremony to collect hardware.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was always a 'C' race so I didn't take any time off of training beforehand. Also, I haven't been training for this distance race.

3/19 AG
18/127 Females
129/484 Overall

Event comments:

I like the Tri the Parks series. They are very welcoming and great for newcomers to the sport. I thought that this race venue was excellent though I think that the number of participants (around 550) was a little too much for this distance race and course.

Also, I had a great time hanging out with everyone from BT both before and after the race!!!

Last updated: 2007-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:37 | 656 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 19/484
Performance: Good
Suit: Sport Factory jersey and Sugoi tri shorts
Course: Parallelogram-ish shape. About 200 meters out, 300 across the top and then 200 back into shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:53 | 12.8 miles | 19.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 207/484
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Out and back on country roads around Flovilla. Rolling hills throughout.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:12 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 211/484
Performance: Average
Course: Some loopy course with out and backs all over the place. Hilly campsite loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-26 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Subject: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park

2007-06-26 3:04 PM
in reply to: #861349

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park

Great race and way to hold her off for the hardware.  It was awesome having lunch with you and I look forward to seeing you at many races in the future.

Did you notice that we submitted our RR's at the same time?  How freaky is that?

2007-06-26 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Congrats on your podium finish! You're so fast!
2007-06-26 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Sorry I got in your way on the swim...  Damn you're fast!!  If you could've seen my eyes when I turned around and saw all of the pink caps coming...

As always, great RR and great race!!  You rock, girl!!

2007-06-26 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Great race with hardware to boot.  All that and it was your "C" race.  Congrats.

2007-06-26 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats on the Hardware, outstanding race and great report.

2007-06-26 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
After reading Steamy posts all the time, it was great to finally meet you at Fresh Air.  Congrats on the hardware and see you at future races.
2007-06-27 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great race! Even if you haven't been training for sprints you can still go out and kick some serious tail! Nice work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed