General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Naperville, Illinois
United States
US Women's Triathlon Series
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 44s
Overall Rank = 1459/1884
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3038/420
Pre-race routine:

WARNING: (Very long report).
There were actually 5 parts to MY tri, if you count the drive down and back. Approx 10 hours each way. I drove to my dad's Friday night after work (5 hour drive). Met up w/ my sister and step-mom who accompanied me on my journey to Naperville. We got up at 6am, went to breakfast with my brother and dad. Then drove to Naperville. When we got there, it was rainy and cool. Met lots of BTer's. Did the necessary evils at the expo. Then went to the Harley dealer, lunch at TGIFriday's and FINALLY to our room. Where we vegged the rest of the day. RACE DAY: Woke at FOUR am. My silly sister wanted to get up before me and make me some coffee, so she set her alarm at 5am OUR time (dork!). I couldn't get back to sleep, so I lounged until 5am. Showered, met up with BAMBAM66 and McFuzz(from across the hall) and rode to the race with them.
Event warmup:

Choked down a nutrition bar as I put my bike in transition and set up my things. Found BAMBAM66 and hunted for McFuzz (who went for coffee!...what a good man) We walked around quite a bit. Stood by the pool, shivering & sipping coffee, watching the swim waves as they started out. I wasn't real nervous, surprisingly. McFuzz calmed my nerves. He was a motivational speaker in a past life, I'm certain. Talked with other Racers as I lined up for my wave.
Swim
  • 21m 7s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt strong at swim start, I was actually passing people! (until that first buoy). Lol!
I had absolutely no endurance for the swim. I basically back stroked to rest and then flipped and swam form for a while, backstroked...repeat. I thought I was never going to make it. I VERY MUCH surprised myself with the time. My goal was: out of the water in 40 min or less. (I knew I was very weak in the swim.)
What would you do differently?:

SWIM MORE! in training.

Can't rank the swim. it was poor, but I FINISHED! so that was good!
Transition 1
  • 07m 2s
Comments:

No wet suit. Walked most of the way to transition... trying to catch my breath. As I passed the porta-potties, I decided I needed to do this. Got in there and couldn't seem to get things going. Needed some coaxing. Tried to get my WET tri-shorts back up and I felt like I was 5 again. I struggled and wiggled and jumped. I half thought about just running to my bike with them where ever they landed on my body...(McFuzz said I'd probably get DQ'd) Wasted a lot of time with those dang shorts. When I finally made it to my bike, I peeled a nutrition bar and stuffed it in my mouth, put on my things and took off...went pretty smoothly after exiting the porta.

Not use the porta. Not sure. I was told to use the pool before exiting...couldn't do it.
Bike
  • 48m 18s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

This was very good. Faster than my training paces. I was passing people like crazy. I passed BAMBAM66 (only because it was a 2 lap course.) I grabbed my water bottle and chugged to rinse down my nutrition bar. Caged it...or thought I did! dropped it in the road and it rolled to the median. I yelled "WATER BOTTLE", not sure if anyone was behind me... it was there everytime I passed that spot. dang it. I had gaterade on the bike, but the thought of it made me queesy. I cornered very fast. One corner I was caught behind someone a bit intimidated by turns, as she slowed and rounded, she cut me off. I had to break hard and swoop around her to avoid a collision. There were times that I realized I wasn't going all out, holding back for some reason or another. I could have played harder on this portion. Although, the last two miles my calves started to tighten up.

Race the bike portion harder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Took time to eat some of my orange slices (I had my sister peel them for me after she woke me at 4am). Thought about water, but it was in my bottle out on the bike course. I figured I'd get some out on the run.

Stretch the legs, REAL GOOD.
Run
  • 35m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran/walked all the way. Calves were very tight by the first quarter mile. I kept stopping to stretch them out on the curb... wish I would have taken time to stretch them out in T2. The other girls were very encouraging, calling out your name as I ran past them, or they ran past me (mostly). I felt VERY slow...much slower than my time reflected. At the half-way mark a chick (Jennifer, she introduced herself) passed me at a pace I could handle. We chatted as we ran, then made a deal that we would speed up at the stop-light and run fast the rest of the way in. We did, she was faster than me so I told her to go on, but I managed to stay on her heels right to the finish line.

Stretch in T2 and push myself harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to my family and McFuzz & BAMBAM66, walked around eating fruit and bagels and drinking lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inner demons.

Event comments:

Wish we woulda attended the awards ceremony...that was the only way you could win the cool bike raffle. Had to be present to win, didn't know this at the time.
Wish I didn't have to head home right away. We did eat lunch with McFuzz & BAMBAM66 and boys. They are awesome people, was a pleasure to hang out with them.

Last updated: 2007-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:07 | 820 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/420
Overall: 0/1884
Performance:
Suit: trishorts/sport bra
Course: 'M' lap. Out and back in the shape of an 'M'.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:18 | 13.8 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two laps. Mostly flat. Some slight incline/decline. Was fantastic!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:52 | 03.11 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Loop around the residential area near the park. Roads were, in my opinion very poor to run on. The course was marked with orange cones, and many great cheering onlookers, but the actual ground we ran on was sloped to the left.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-26 5:41 PM

Regular
Subject: Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville

2007-06-26 5:55 PM
in reply to: #861627

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: RE: Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville

WE DID IT!!!! WE POPPED OUR CHERRIES TOGETHER!!!! 

Great job on your race!!! It was a pleasure meeting you.

2007-06-26 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Yay!  Awesome Race, Steph!!!  I'm glad you had such a great time & that you did so well.

Way to go, Triathlete!

2007-06-26 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Nice race Steph!  Glad I could be part of the experience. 

2007-06-27 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Way to go Triathlete! Nice job! You totally smoked your goal in the water. It's funny how our training kicks in and we go faster than we think. Great job! You were flying on the bike and the run was great especially since a few weeks ago you couldn't run because of the injury. Awesome job! Keep it up and enjoy it!
2007-06-27 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Congrats Steph, you are a triathlete!

Great to beat your goal out of the water.

Fantastic biking.

You managed to handle the run, bricks do help some.

2007-07-15 6:18 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations, Miss Thang!  Nice race and race report, triathlete .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville Rss Feed