General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So the Garmin works for running and cycling? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-26 9:32 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: So the Garmin works for running and cycling?
When I go to the Garmin website it features one style for Running (the Forerunner I think) and another for cycling (305).

Is the 305 too big to wear/attach while running, is there a foot pod adapter thing that will work with it?

Please forgive the lingo - I don't know the technical names for what I'd like but I know that it would be really really REALLY cool to have one gadget to accurately capture all my training data for the cycling and runs.

And what are the chances that there is some sort of water-proof covering and it could be used to gather data while swimming?

2007-06-26 10:28 PM
in reply to: #861911

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
Subject: RE: So the Garmin works for running and cycling?

It sounds like you are looking to get a Forerunner 305.  It straps on your wrist, and you can put it on your bike as well.  Measures distance, speed, pace, maps the route, and heart rate monitor.  optional add ons: cadence device for the bike and the foot pod for indoor running.

Then there is the Edge 305 which is bigger for the bike only.

There is also the 205 models which do everything except heart rate, cadence, or foot pod.

2007-06-26 11:12 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
Thanks so much.

I looked it up and it says that the watch is waterproof so I know I can use it in the water. However I've never had much success with my polar accurately calcualting HR durring swims.

Will the Garmin be able to calculate OWS distances? It states that it is good for triathletes, but wondering about the swimming value. I don't see where it has a lap counter, etc.
2007-06-27 5:15 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

The Forerunner is "waterproof," but not recommended for constant submersion:

Most Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.

Many here do swim with their Forerunners, often in a Ziploc bag under their swimcap. Somehow, though, I doubt the warranty would cover it if it got fried.

2007-06-27 8:01 AM

User image

Bellevue, Washington

UTFan - 2007-06-26 10:32 PM When I go to the Garmin website it features one style for Running (the Forerunner I think) and another for cycling (305). Is the 305 too big to wear/attach while running, is there a foot pod adapter thing that will work with it? Please forgive the lingo - I don't know the technical names for what I'd like but I know that it would be really really REALLY cool to have one gadget to accurately capture all my training data for the cycling and runs. And what are the chances that there is some sort of water-proof covering and it could be used to gather data while swimming?

I have the Forerunner 305 with the speed and cadence sensor for the bike.  Works great.  You can also purchase a footpod if you want to used it to run indoors on a treadmill.  And yes, you can swim in it BUT I wouldn't put it on my wrist for swimming.  I put mine under my swim cap.  I've done this a couple of times with my new 305 and numerous times with my 201.  I haven't put it in a ziploc, though I probably should.  Oh, and I haven't tried to wear the heartrate monitor in the water yet, but I doubt from what I've read that you'd get a good reading there.

Map of Friday OWS
2007-06-27 9:15 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
Wow, thanks for the responses and advice.

Is that a "pic" from a swim taken when using the Forerunner 305? If so it is really cool. Does it measure the distance of the swim?

I get a bonus in July and I think I see my next gadget

Of course there are the aero bars I want to look into, the new running shorts I would like, the new....yea, yea - you all understand

2007-06-28 5:59 AM
in reply to: #863729

User image

Bellevue, Washington

Yes that's a "viewport" (picture) of the swim from MotionBased.com.  If you click on the picture and then click on the orange "Dashboard" icon you can see all the details like time, distance, pace, etc.  So yes, it does measure the distance of the swim (1.35 miles in this case). 

I'm a big gadget geek myself.  I just upgraded to the 305 from my old 201 a few weeks ago.   It was a "gift" from my wife for my birthday/father's day/anniversary.

Other things may be more useful, but to me this thing is more fun.  Besides, I had already gotten the aerobars and such.

Edited by gtbuzz 2007-06-28 5:59 AM
2007-06-28 9:13 PM
in reply to: #862173

User image

Madison, WI
Okay so I have the Garmin 305. And I recently purchased this unit.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8544

It is bike mount for the Garmin 305 plus a wrist mounted watch strap. It works excellent for transitions and you can put the Garmin in a zip lock and attach it to the wrist strap and have that under your wet suit if you have a full length wet suit.

Works better than putting it in your swim cap IMHO.

The only thing is the battery life. If you do IM distance and you are not particularly fast the battery could run out.

2007-06-29 3:05 PM

Veteran
Lutz, Florida

I have been using my Garmin for 2 years on the swim and it has not caused problems.....I do not get readings, but I do get an accurate race clock and then it starts picking up satelites for the bike and run.  I am amazed that some people will put it in their swim cap.....I would be much more worried about it getting lost from there than from on my wrist.

Also, I never really loved the TC software that came with it, so I now use SportTracks which is shareware that does a great job.  Takes some getting used to, but it is great 

2007-06-29 4:47 PM
in reply to: #866477

User image

Bellevue, Washington
mbydalek, are you swimming with a 305 on your wrist?
2007-06-29 4:57 PM

Veteran
Lutz, Florida
Yep, swim with it on my wrist every race! Don't get the swim distance, but I get an accurrate swim and T1 time.

2007-06-29 8:19 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
I'm pretty well sold on the Forerunner 305. DH wants the Edge. He cycles but does not Tri, although he did go for a run for the first time today so who knows...maybe he'll join me someday. Of course he did 1.2 miles in the time it has taken me three months to work up to

I have long hair and wear it in a pony-tail under my swim cap so I'm thinking I can probably attach it to my ponytail holder and it will be safe for a swim.

I saw on the main board that there is a prety good rebate for the 305 and I can get it for under $250 w/ all the accessories I want.

2007-06-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: #866827

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
I am a big believer in my Garmin 305. Most of my triathlon entries on my blog (http://brucemorgan.blogs.com) mention my 305, use 305 based data, etc.

I use SportTracks to store and analyze my data and not MotionBased or Garmin's (fairly weak) Training Center. SportTracks is a little odd but works well.

Amazon usually has great prices on Garmin and accessories. I have 4 Garmin GPS units (a 201 I should sell since I don't use it much), an hiking handheld from 1996, the 305, and a Nuvi 660 which is incredible.
2007-07-04 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
I am a newbie and bought the 305 and the cadence sensor about two months ago. I love it. I haven't used the bike cadence sensor because I was waiting to get a road bike, but the 305 itself is great. I would second the Amazon vote - they're prices are always great, and when I bought this, I got both for under $200 - and that didn't include the $50 rebate they were offering at the time.
2007-07-04 7:45 PM

UTFan, would you mind sharing where you found that rebate on the FR 305? Mine is on the way as well.
2007-07-05 6:59 AM
in reply to: #872144

User image

Bellevue, Washington

mkali - 2007-07-04 8:45 PM UTFan, would you mind sharing where you found that rebate on the FR 305? Mine is on the way as well.

http://www8.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/

2007-07-07 11:25 AM

Regular
Austin, Texas
My Forerunner 305 is one it's way! Ordered it last night from Amazon. I added the cadence and quick release wrsit/bike mount as accessories. DH ordered the Edge 305. It wont get here 'til Wednesday so I am not sure I'll be able to use it for my Tri on Sun the 15th. If it's farily intuative, I'll give it a go, but I wonder about T times.

Do most of you wear it on your wrist the entire time during a race so that you don't waste time taking out from under swim cap, on/off bike, etc?

?? re: altimeter -

The Edges comes w/ altimeter but the Forerunner does not. I am not sure what it does, but will I be able to view elevations, inclines, grades, etc that I run or bike on?

Thanks again - next stop: which software to use Motion Base, Sports Track or the one that comes w/ the Garmin.
2007-07-07 5:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

I got my 305 from Target online about 4 months ago...it was on sale for $270ish.  Plus I got the rebate.  Not sure if they are still available at that price or not.

Never even considered taking mine in the water with me....

On another note, my display is just beginning to get blank horizontal lines across it.  It is only a couple of the lines of resolution right now, but if it gets any worse, I'll be sending it in for repair or replacement under the warrenty.  Has anyone else had this problem?

2008-06-18 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
need help with the cadence sensor. I attached it tonight and the red and green lights are blinking, i have the 305 in bike mode but there is this wheel like display on the bottom of the screen with an x across it. doesn't seem to want to sync with the 305. can anyone help?
2008-06-18 9:22 PM

User image

Regular
Living in Singapore...

Go into the menu and select options then accessories (or words to that effect), then select the cadence senor and you get the option to pair the device - instructions in the manual.

Haven't tried swimming with it yet - not particular game to either (not on my wrist anyway and definitely not under my cap - that's gota hurt).  I will give a go in a zip-lock taped to my wrist or in the back of the shorts (hope it doesn't slip Surprised)

2008-06-19 5:19 PM

Veteran
Lutz, Florida

I also have an Edge 305 and I know they make a wrist mount for it.  There are only two displays to choose form (they are customizable), but I am not seeing a way to run and see my minutes per mile.  I can look at my MPH and do the MIT Masters level calculations to convert from one to the other, but that just seems like a lot of work.....and since I am already working so hard just by running......

Oh well, does anyone know how to get the edge 305 to show minutes per mile for when you are running?

Thanks

2008-06-20 12:15 AM

User image

Regular
Living in Singapore...
There's actually 3 screens (per sport) with at least (possibly two) of the screens customisable.  That is you can select from 1-4 display items and then select what you want to display, include pace, hr, speed, lap time, etc, etc.  The method to modify the screens is outlined in the manual and quite easy to do.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So the Garmin works for running and cycling? Rss Feed