General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-27 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Weather looks great for Sunday -- highs only in the 70s!

2007-06-27 12:56 PM
in reply to: #862235

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance

I was really stoked to see that weather report.  I hope it holds up. 

It should be a great day to race.

Peace,
Brian #485 (Ok, I am a little excited about this being my first OLY)

2011-03-10 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran

NEW TRANSITION SITE-near the amphitheater

NEW ish SWIM COURSE-no more marina start, no more beaching yourself near the bridge/exit, no more hill to transition. Start/exit off the corner of ampitheater lot

NEW RUN COURSE-opposite direction, towards marilla park

NEW FINISH LINE-from the trail past transition to an angle finish between the ampitheather and restrooms/bus station building under the overpass

And if you didnt already know--NEW DATE-June 26th

Best of luck training!

2011-05-07 5:15 AM
in reply to: #3392586

User image

WV
I'll be doing this one as well. It will be my first race of the season so I'm definitely looking forward to it
2011-06-14 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran

oops-posted this in Sprint Official Thread: still applies.

I signed up -again- pre-course changes.

I'm a little disappointed.

Laps in the Mon river-REALLY?!

Mon county not fixing the rail trail slide-Up 6th street and up Mon blvd, down mon blvd and on the way back in up mon blvd and down onto 6th street. Viewing the coliseum will be nice and hopefully the downhill will be nice but-REALLY?!

New transition area-Weather permitting this'll be nice-I hope there isnt much congestion since its all on the same day, with laps in the river and muiltiple distances within the same transition area.

New run course-ah well basically the same-likely more shaded too.

This is a home (visit) race for me so I'm excited.

Best of luck to all racers, Thanks ahead of time to the volunteers, I'll talk and meet with anyone, new friends or old at the finish line!

2011-06-14 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3547862

User image

WV
franktheguard - 2011-06-14 8:44 PM

oops-posted this in Sprint Official Thread: still applies.

I signed up -again- pre-course changes.

I'm a little disappointed.

Laps in the Mon river-REALLY?!

Mon county not fixing the rail trail slide-Up 6th street and up Mon blvd, down mon blvd and on the way back in up mon blvd and down onto 6th street. Viewing the coliseum will be nice and hopefully the downhill will be nice but-REALLY?!

New transition area-Weather permitting this'll be nice-I hope there isnt much congestion since its all on the same day, with laps in the river and muiltiple distances within the same transition area.

New run course-ah well basically the same-likely more shaded too.

This is a home (visit) race for me so I'm excited.

Best of luck to all racers, Thanks ahead of time to the volunteers, I'll talk and meet with anyone, new friends or old at the finish line!

I'm not at all familiar with Motown.  What do you make of the post-landslide course changes?

http://www.mountaineertriathlon.com/news/35-landslides-course-change

2011-06-14 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I'm doing the Half.  But it looks like it's pretty much the same course.  I read that the run was super hilly but on the website it says a new flat course.  Anyone know which it is?  And how hilly is the bike?  I checked out the map, but I can't really tell.

I'm super excited for this race.  I've never been to Morgantown.  I hear good things!

Christy

2011-06-15 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3549231

User image

WV
cbrookhart - 2011-06-15 5:36 AM

I'm doing the Half.  But it looks like it's pretty much the same course.  I read that the run was super hilly but on the website it says a new flat course.  Anyone know which it is?  And how hilly is the bike?  I checked out the map, but I can't really tell.

I'm super excited for this race.  I've never been to Morgantown.  I hear good things!

Christy

Glad to hear that you're signed up for the race -- it should be a good one.  Is this your first HIM?

As for the course, I'm only in Morgantown like once or twice a year, so I can't really say for sure how flat or hilly it is.  I do know that the entire run course is on Deckers Creek Trail, which is paved, flat, and provides some shade.  I can't say much about the bike -- the course profile they put on the website doesn't look so bad, but I feel like those things are often misleading.

Good luck!

2011-06-15 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran

Daniel

did you get the PM I sent you?

2011-06-15 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3550094

User image

WV
franktheguard - 2011-06-15 9:53 PM

Daniel

did you get the PM I sent you?

Got it and replied.  Thanks

2011-06-16 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3549965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
danielh2135 - 2011-06-15 7:58 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-06-15 5:36 AM

Christy

Glad to hear that you're signed up for the race -- it should be a good one.  Is this your first HIM?

As for the course, I'm only in Morgantown like once or twice a year, so I can't really say for sure how flat or hilly it is.  I do know that the entire run course is on Deckers Creek Trail, which is paved, flat, and provides some shade.  I can't say much about the bike -- the course profile they put on the website doesn't look so bad, but I feel like those things are often misleading.

Good luck!

Thanks!  This is my first HIM. I'm super excited.  I'm sure I'll be getting sick to my stomach nervous in the next few days.  Glad to hear the run is flat.  I'll cross my fingers the bike isn't too crazy.

Have a great race!

Christy

2011-06-20 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3550094

User image

WV

Looks like they changed the course again. 

http://www.mountaineertriathlon.com/details  (click on the course map, updated 6/20).

So what do you think, Frank?  Good change, bad change?  Is the course harder now?  Some of those hills on the elevation profile look, uh, steep.

In any event, whatever the course, I'm pumped up to race!

2011-06-20 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3558029

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
danielh2135 - 2011-06-20 12:04 PM

http://www.mountaineertriathlon.com/details  (click on the course map, updated 6/20).

So what do you think, Frank?  Good change, bad change?  Is the course harder now?  Some of those hills on the elevation profile look, uh, steep.

Those look like some big hills!  I'm questioning my gears.  Hope I have enough.

Christy

2011-06-20 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Ladies and gentlemen-make sure your taper is perfect. Do nothing extra in preperation I grew up in mgtn so I know the area well. Simply putThe swim is 2x upstream and 2x downstreamThe bike-is a brand spaking new course not a modified course due to landslideThe run is on a paved old railway pathLamens terms-Swim:easyFEAR THE BIKEThank God for the flat and shaded runSay hey at the finish-BT!Frank
2011-06-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3558145

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

franktheguard - 2011-06-20 12:41 PM Ladies and gentlemen-make sure your taper is perfect. Do nothing extra in preperation I grew up in mgtn so I know the area well. Simply putThe swim is 2x upstream and 2x downstreamThe bike-is a brand spaking new course not a modified course due to landslideThe run is on a paved old railway pathLamens terms-Swim:easyFEAR THE BIKEThank God for the flat and shaded runSay hey at the finish-BT!Frank

My bike has 12-25 gearing on the front and 50/34 on the front. Think I'll be ok?  Someone suggested I get a 11-28 cassette for this race.  Any thoughts?  You seem to be the go to guy for this race Smile.

I'm doing the half.  If you're still around at 2, I'll say hi.

Christy

2011-06-20 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Christyoh 2oclock-too late for my taste-maybe pre-race. Tough questionHow strong r u on the bike to begin with-the 2nd cass option has u losing some of ur middle gears. If your an all or nothing girl then -- YES -- change to the 28If you work the middle a lot u might b uncomfortable with the 28 and not need it but once If u even remotely consider yourself strong on the bike stay with what works ("nothing new on race day")Some would say STFU/HTFUIf your in doubt-then change-you WILL use the 28The 50/34 is PERFECTDaniel-got a strong lead on a trikit-good idea-another cyclist team in town put me in touch with some great people. I may be wearing it sunday-if not DEF for my october racePhew-best of luck people!

2011-06-22 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3558029

danielh2135 - 2011-06-20 1:04 PM

I've biked Rt 73 South of Morgantown toward Fairmont many times.  There are several hills on that road.  It will be much hillier than a typical triathlon course; more like a cycling race.  The first hill on Rt 73 that starts uphill just after you go under the Interstate (about where the "W" is if you look at the new course map) is looooong and grinding with a false peak.  You think you can see the top, but when you get there you realize it keeps going up for about another mile.  Be prepared!  The last hill before the Olympic turnaround is also a grinder.  I think bike times on this course will be several minutes slower on average than the other course.  The good news is at least the run course is flat. :-)

Good luck to everyone participating!  I'm sorry to be missing it (but happy that I'll be at the beach on vacation!).

2011-06-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3561574

User image

WV
tkeru408 - 2011-06-22 9:17 PM
danielh2135 - 2011-06-20 1:04 PM

I've biked Rt 73 South of Morgantown toward Fairmont many times.  There are several hills on that road.  It will be much hillier than a typical triathlon course; more like a cycling race.  The first hill on Rt 73 that starts uphill just after you go under the Interstate (about where the "W" is if you look at the new course map) is looooong and grinding with a false peak.  You think you can see the top, but when you get there you realize it keeps going up for about another mile.  Be prepared!  The last hill before the Olympic turnaround is also a grinder.  I think bike times on this course will be several minutes slower on average than the other course.  The good news is at least the run course is flat. :-)

Good luck to everyone participating!  I'm sorry to be missing it (but happy that I'll be at the beach on vacation!).

Thanks for the analysis.  It looks like you're describing the hill at about the 3.5 mile marker.  Not looking forward to that one -- close to 2 miles of climbing, and steep!  Mentally, I find the prospect of a flat run comforting.  I'm just not sure my legs will care at that point!

2011-06-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3558087

User image

Veteran

Christy

Youll be fine!

Spin to win right? There will be flat rollers too-I plan to drive this once I get into town to really get a feel for it. Yeah I said drive-Im not riding it twice-okok out and back once.

The weather looks PER FECT for the race!

Has anyone heard/read anything about bottle exchange-there was on last years-but with ALL these changes, Im looking out now.

Ill be at the expo on Saturday prolly midday.

We train HARD to race for fun!!!!!

2011-06-22 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3561840

User image

WV
franktheguard - 2011-06-22 11:04 PM

Christy

Youll be fine!

Spin to win right? There will be flat rollers too-I plan to drive this once I get into town to really get a feel for it. Yeah I said drive-Im not riding it twice-okok out and back once.

The weather looks PER FECT for the race!

Has anyone heard/read anything about bottle exchange-there was on last years-but with ALL these changes, Im looking out now.

Ill be at the expo on Saturday prolly midday.

We train HARD to race for fun!!!!!

Agreed, weather is looking good so far, both for Saturday and Sunday.  Should be a great weekend!

As for the bottle exchange, haven't read anything about that.  I'm not certain whether I'll need any nutrition off the course or not (for the bike at least).  I'm planning on using one bottle of HEED mixed to about 200 calories or so.  That should get me through the bike just fine.  I'll keep a gel or two on me in case I need it; in that event, I'll just grab water at an aid station.

For the run, I'll plan on grabbing water/whatever sports drink they are serving as needed.

And yes, I'm definitely driving this course pre-race as well!

2011-06-22 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Anyone from the area know of a good place for dinner?  I'm staying at the Waterfront Place Hotel.  I really have no idea where that is or what's around it.  Just looking for a low key place to get some good food and beer to help me sleep Smile.

Christy

2011-06-22 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The Wharf is pretty good, and I seem to remember the same about Oliverio's. They're both within walking distance of the hotel. I think I remember that the Wharf has outdoor seating that overlooks the rail trail and the river. If you go downtown, a little further away, Madeline's, across from Hotel Morgan is always really good.

2011-06-22 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3562266

User image

Veteran
cbrookhart - 2011-06-22 2:04 PM

Anyone from the area know of a good place for dinner?  I'm staying at the Waterfront Place Hotel.  I really have no idea where that is or what's around it.  Just looking for a low key place to get some good food and beer to help me sleep Smile.

Christy

Depends on what you normally do-and what you like. being a college town theres PLENTY of choices and the waterfront is literally 2 block walk to downtown.

Waterfront has a great menu and the "ratpack lounge" . Wings Ole -nice mexican spot is on the way downtown. DP dough is a calzone place on high street. Theres like 2-3 pizza places real close to waterfront and all deliver there within walking distance is Casa and man is that some good pizza. Subway is on high street as well. Black bear burritos is on high, good food pretty sure they serve beer there.

As for beer well like I said college town-2x #1 party school at that. Theres plenty of sports bars. Sports page on high street, theres a new good place up on pleasant I forget the name but everything on the menu has to do with WVU-PRT/football/coaches etc. good eats and drinks.

BW3--buffalo wild wings-is a great beraded chicken/chicken wing and beer place. great wall china chinese is on high street. down the street from wings ole and waterfron is THE BREW PUB-nice food and in house brewery. I think the marina has a resturant in it-never been. If yuo want some hoighty toighty night and food-CAfe bachus is at the end of high street near waterfront.

Oliverios is a FANTASTIC resturant. IT WILL be busy-its a walk down the "rail trail" behind waterfront maybe 1/4 mile. Italian food, wine/beer. Wife sould say crabcakes are to die for, I say the diablo chicken pasta dish is (not that Im eating THAT before a race)

Hmmm-thats alot, but you were kinda vague and-- low key-nah not really gonna happen (unless your at waterfront/cafe bachus/Oliverios). Small area.

Depends on your drive in theres plenty of spots off the interstate too-Cheddars/REdlobster/Olive garden

I'd love to hear where you choose too!

2011-06-22 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3562374

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
franktheguard - 2011-06-22 1:48 PM
cbrookhart - 2011-06-22 2:04 PM

Christy

Depends on what you normally do-and what you like. being a college town theres PLENTY of choices and the waterfront is literally 2 block walk to downtown.

Waterfront has a great menu and the "ratpack lounge" . Wings Ole -nice mexican spot is on the way downtown. DP dough is a calzone place on high street. Theres like 2-3 pizza places real close to waterfront and all deliver there within walking distance is Casa and man is that some good pizza. Subway is on high street as well. Black bear burritos is on high, good food pretty sure they serve beer there.

As for beer well like I said college town-2x #1 party school at that. Theres plenty of sports bars. Sports page on high street, theres a new good place up on pleasant I forget the name but everything on the menu has to do with WVU-PRT/football/coaches etc. good eats and drinks.

BW3--buffalo wild wings-is a great beraded chicken/chicken wing and beer place. great wall china chinese is on high street. down the street from wings ole and waterfron is THE BREW PUB-nice food and in house brewery. I think the marina has a resturant in it-never been. If yuo want some hoighty toighty night and food-CAfe bachus is at the end of high street near waterfront.

Oliverios is a FANTASTIC resturant. IT WILL be busy-its a walk down the "rail trail" behind waterfront maybe 1/4 mile. Italian food, wine/beer. Wife sould say crabcakes are to die for, I say the diablo chicken pasta dish is (not that Im eating THAT before a race)

Hmmm-thats alot, but you were kinda vague and-- low key-nah not really gonna happen (unless your at waterfront/cafe bachus/Oliverios). Small area.

Depends on your drive in theres plenty of spots off the interstate too-Cheddars/REdlobster/Olive garden

I'd love to hear where you choose too!

Thanks. We will be there Saturday night and Sunday night, so we'll be able to try a couple.  Not sure I can agree on the best crabcake...I'm from Baltimore. 

2011-06-22 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3562505

The Waterfront Place Hotel is just a couple of blocks from downtown (High St. area).  There are plenty of options if you just go wander around there.  I will reiterate two options already mentioned.  The Brew Pub (aka Morgantown Brewing Company, 1291 University Ave) has good food and a fine selection of beer.  Black Bear Burritos (132 Pleasant St) is a hippy joint with vegetarian options that serves good food and beer.  You can find menus for both online by googling their name.  Neither of them should be too terribly busy. 

Oliverio's is good Italian food and only a block from the hotel, but it'll be busy on a Saturday night and I don't think they take reservations.  Personally, I prefer another Italian restaurant, Puglioni's (1137 Van Voorhis Rd), but it's a short drive from the hotel--you can't just walk there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  

of 2