General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Bike Computer?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-24 10:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
Subject: Which Bike Computer??
Hey newbie here, picking up my bike sometime next week and want to put a computer on it, is one with cadence worth it? how about wireless vs 'wired'? Some seem to get really expensive fast and just wondering if they are worth it. Thanks
jim

2004-09-25 5:21 AM
in reply to: #66390

User image

Bryan, TX
Subject: RE: Which Bike Computer??
I bought the Cateye Astrale 8 a couple of months ago. I was looking for something simple. It shows your total time, max speed, average speed, current speed, total distance, and cadence. It has a dual readout with larger digits in the top portion and small digits in the lower. In the top part of the screen, you can show cadence (rpm) or speed (mph/km) and you can scroll through all the information in the lower portion of the screen. This is a wired unit with the distance/speed sensor on the back wheel. The computer snaps off the mounting bracket so you can review your data away from the bike. I've been very happy with it!
2004-09-25 8:13 AM

User image

Santa Cruz, CA
I too bought the Cat eye 8 with cadence. It works great and have not had any problems with it. Been using it for over a month now and it helps out so much on the ride to know my cadence so i can keep a steady workout. Also i like to be able to see my max speed when im donw to see how fast i really went down that hill. It is a cheep option and if you want to go cheaper you can get it with out the cadence. Good luck and happy buying!!!!
2004-09-25 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
I too bought the Cateye Astrale, so for it is working good.
2004-09-26 11:21 AM

User image

Regular
Harrisburg, PA
Sigma 1600 with wired cadence. Great computer with all the functions you need. Easy to install, and inexpensive. Definitely get the cadence sensor, single best thing that has happened to my bike training.
2004-09-26 7:10 PM
in reply to: #66604

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA
All, thanks for the input I am leaning towards a gonkulator with cadence, if it is wired how is it normally run back to the gonkulator?? Along the down tube or across the top?? Thanks
jim

2004-09-26 8:27 PM

User image

Regular
Harrisburg, PA
Downtube.  If yours is like mine, there will only be one way to do it with the amount of  wire that they give you.  -m
2004-09-28 12:01 PM
in reply to: #66659

Master
portland, or
Why would you need wires with a gonkulator? I thought they worked off of microwave transmissions. ;-)

I like the Echo F2 bike computer. Like the Astrale it has cadence and you can get the optional rear wheel mount kit. The befefit over the Astrale is that it's waterproof. A necessity in the Pacific NW. My Astrale was always going haywire when I used it in a rainstorm. The F2 also gives you average cadence and the display shows three measurements simultaneous. Speed and cadence are always shown with a choice of elapsed time, avg. speed, or distance for the third.

scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Bike Computer?? Rss Feed