United States
District of Columbia Aquatics Club
70F / 21C
Total Time = 53m 50s
Overall Rank = 7/35
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Z5 drove up to my house from the Davis International Triathlon Headquarters. We hopped on the bikes with our wetsuits in backpacks and rode up to Rolph's Wharf which was about 13 miles. The weather was perfect. We pulled into the race site (very cool little spot on the Chester River), locked the bikes and strolled over to registration. We're standing at the registration table and I begin to notice the uncharacteristically high pitched voices of all the guys running the registration table. They were certainly having a fun morning and seemed to know each other well. A guy walks up to the table that they all obviously knew and they all erupted in squealing, high pitched "hellos" and "goodmornings" and the guy (use your gayest of gay voices here) says "hi everyone - what a FABULOUS morning"! At this point, I turn and give Glenn and look and we're both wondering what we've gotten into. We got back over to the bikes and Glenn commented that he though we we might be the only two straight guys there. (jokingly of course - there were lots of other people there) Most of the athletes were swimmers, but there were probably about a dozen triathletes.
Event warmup:

Just walked around and talked. We were both doing the 2 mile option so we were the 4th wave to go off.
Swim
  • 53m 50s
  • 3520 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nothing special to report. I kept a moderately hard pace the entire way and then gave it all I had for the last half mile. It was a unique experience being able to swim hard and not worry about pacing. At the turnaround, after I went around the bouys as we were instructed, a guy in my wave swims up to a few yards short of the turn, does not go around the bouys, then turns around and starts swimming for home. That really torqued me and I made it my goal to beat him - which I did thanks only to his poor navigation. He was a fast swimmer. At about the 3/4 mile mark we had to swim over top of a pound net which was interesting. There was only about 18" of water over top of the net so you felt it as you swam over. There had to be something dangerous about that?
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. There weren't enough people to draft much so it was basically all lone swimming.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and wached Glenn come in. We hung around for a little and ate some snacks then rode back to my house.

Event comments:

This was a fantastic race. Awesome t-shirt, very well organized, and incredible food and drink. We weren't able to stay around for lunch, but they had quite a catered spread set out. I'll definitely be staying around for lunch next year. They even had live music which made for a great atmosphere. Later that evening, I was checking online for results and noticed that the DC Aquatics Club who put on the event is associated with the IGLA (International Gay and Lesbian Aquatics). Not that it would have mattered, but how did I miss that all the times I looked at the website pre-race? All I can say is it's a shame that there aren't more Gay and Lesbian run events around - they really know how to put on a FABULOUS race!

Last updated: 2007-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:50 | 3520 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 7/35
Performance: Good
Got one split at the .5 mile mark which was 14:33, then forgot to take any more splits.
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Out and back with a slight bend to the left. Markers at every half mile.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-29 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: Swim for Life

2007-06-29 8:21 AM
in reply to: #865619

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Swim for Life

Great report!!

I am starting to think that somebody.... is actually a very naturally talented swimmer! Your hard work is paying off!

2007-06-29 10:52 AM
in reply to: #865619

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: RE: Swim for Life
Fabulous race, Dave!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Swim for Life Rss Feed