BAMBAM66 - 2007-06-30 5:14 PM
NightOwl - 2007-06-30 3:49 PM
Brett - 2007-06-30 3:20 PM
NightOwl - 2007-06-30 11:17 AM
Brett - 2007-06-30 12:04 PM
BAMBAM66 - 2007-06-30 10:09 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2007-06-30 7:35 AM
the bear - 2007-06-30 7:24 AM

wurkit_gurl - 2007-06-30 5:45 AM Wow, am I the only one who wouldn't give her the money? I would offer to buy her some food, but I wouldn't give her money for cigarettes. I don't give money to bums on the street either. My roommate from freshman year of college had a good idea - on cold days (and in Boston, the winter is COLD), she would pass the Dunkin Donuts (of which there are many in Boston) and if there was a bum outside and he asked her for money, she would go inside and buy him a cup of coffee. At least she knew her money was being used to help keep him warm.

I'm sure the homeless and destitute appreciate your use of term "bums." Really emphasizes your humanitarian aspects.

Yes, and I also run over baby kittens with my gas-guzzling SUV when I'm not clubbing seals and cursing all homosexuals to Hell like the rest of America...please. You don't know a darned thing about my political views and stances. Sorry I offended you - but then again, I'm not really sorry. Just because I vote Democrat doesn't mean that I have to give change to homeless people.

Incase you hadn't noticed---he used the sarcastic font!!! Most of us (me included) would do what we can to help those less fortunate than us.

I think he did the right thing because when her live turns around she will remember someone being kind to her and "pay it forward." BEsides, havent you ever heard of the golden rule?! I hope you never need help, because the person behind you might be exactly like you!

Does the Golden Rule include condescending judgement of others?

As the saying around here goes:

Just sayin'...

bts

Um, I think her point is that it doesn't...treat others as you would be treated. That IS part of the Golden Rule.

Just sayin'...

Her point was obvous, as was the manner in which she communicated it. My point was that in communicating her point, she was violating the rule that she was preaching. I rather appreciated the irony of it.

bts

I should remind myself to read the entire exchange before I turn on my "b!ch" tone...my bad.

I didn't think I was being condescending! I thought I was reminding her about the sarcastic font. It was not my intent to undo the Golden Rule. Maybe I'll just go back to doing housework and leave this to more knowledgeable people.

Sorry Bear for trying to interpret what you said. I'll try to not let the door hit me as I leave.

I was actually referring to the second paragraph, I didn't think that wurkit caught the sarcasm font either.  Although I'm not even sure how bear meant the sarcasm font: did the sarcasm font mean that he didn't really think she was being heartless, or was he saying she should be more understanding in a sarcastic manner.  See that's why I'm the written medium is so annoying.  All the subtlies are lost on the uninitiated (and even the initiated sometimes it would seem Embarassed)  And for the record, I agree with you regarding whether is was right or wrong.

bts 

Looks like it's time for a:

<<<GROUP HUG>>>

2007-06-30 8:06 PM
in reply to: #866126

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: right thing/wrong thing??

What if she'd wanted the $$ for a bottle of booze?? Would that be different??

2007-06-30 8:43 PM
in reply to: #866134

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: right thing/wrong thing??
spokes - 2007-06-29 12:15 PM

Dude... don't put too much of a spin on kindness... you did the right thing. There's enough misery in this world and I'm sure that woman's life has been a cornucopia of misery - whether self-inflicted or otherwise.

Spokes speaks the truth!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » right thing/wrong thing?? Rss Feed  

of 2