of 4

2007-08-14 11:00 PM
in reply to: #926118

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Subject: RE: LA Triathlon
iwantotri - 2007-08-14 6:41 PM

I was going to do the Olympic, but with work and life I wasn't able to trian the way I wanted to. So I have opted to do just the bike ride instead.

Come on! You can be in pain along side me!!! do the oly!! "hehehehe" (in a devish giggle)

My work and life have been the same (probably). Work has been very stressful and moving out here only 2months ago is stressful too. Sleeping on the floor is worse! (waiting for house to sell back in MN)

2007-08-15 12:06 AM
in reply to: #926226

User image

Expert

hundoracer - 2007-08-14 9:00 PM
iwantotri - 2007-08-14 6:41 PM I was going to do the Olympic, but with work and life I wasn't able to trian the way I wanted to. So I have opted to do just the bike ride instead.
Come on! You can be in pain along side me!!! do the oly!! "hehehehe" (in a devish giggle) My work and life have been the same (probably). Work has been very stressful and moving out here only 2months ago is stressful too. Sleeping on the floor is worse! (waiting for house to sell back in MN)

I got so behind in my training once the summer started (work is busiest during the summer for me) that I couldn't keep up with my workouts.  I'll use the bike as a training ride.

2007-08-15 12:39 AM
in reply to: #866721

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Just a thought for you. You could request the RD to change your entry to a sprint . The bike ride is almost identical (22 miles per my bike computer) but the swim and run are much shorter.
The bike course is the best I have done in a TRi And I look forward to doing it again.
2007-08-15 12:50 AM
in reply to: #926118

Regular
iwantotri - 2007-08-14 6:41 PM

I was going to do the Olympic, but with work and life I wasn't able to trian the way I wanted to. So I have opted to do just the bike ride instead.

I hear ya! I'm the same way. I had hoped to do the Oly this year but with a late jump on training, I opted to do the sprint. How's everyone's training going?
2007-08-15 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
I just took a vacay to Canada so I barely trained there. Started my training again on Monday and my legs are already shot. This is gonna be a long week...
2007-08-15 9:33 AM

New user
training was going alright for me, but caught a bug over the weekend that is @#$%$%@ me up. Damn colds/flu/whatever it is

2007-08-15 11:36 AM

User image

Two days before this race last year I was diagnosed with compartment syndrome, downgraded to sprint and still had to walk most of the run.  This year the Oly is unfinished business for me, and so it's my A race. My goal is to finish strong with little if any walking.

I am in "Build 1 & 2" phase of my Oly plan.  This week the plan says "clearly your swim is ready for LA.  Your bike is very close too -- let's bring up speed & bring the run up to new ground!!!!  Excited!!!!!!!"  Gotta love it when the coach uses so many exclamation points. 

2007-08-17 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
it's official!!!! i just signed up for the sprint. as much as i wish i could have done the oly i just dont think i was ready for the swim. im way behind on training for that distance. the oly was my goal for the year but not getting in the pool consistently made me think again. see you guys there.
2007-08-17 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA

I wonder why the LA Triathlon web site isn't posting the confirmation list. Go to the web site http://www.latriathlon.com/ and click on Confirmation List and you'll see the message that they will begin posting it 6 weeks prior to the race. So far, with not much more than 3 weeks to go, it's still not up. Maybe registration is so low that to post it would be an embarrassment to the organizers (& the sponsors?). It's not the only part of the site that is not up to date, so maybe it's nothing more than that they have more important things to do. But, with the poor choice of the new run course, adding to a couple pre-existing negatives (the logistical problems of a point-to-point race with 2 transition areas, plus rough, poorly maintained roads along the bike route), maybe people are opting for other races instead.

Personally, I'm dismayed that the organizers are not making this a better race every year. A course change should be for the better. Who knows what caused the new run course to become a double out-and-back on a steep hill that a lot of people had to walk up last year, but it's certainly not an improvement. And yet, last year's course could have used some improvement.

If people are abandoning this race for others on the same day or within a few weeks of Sept 9th, it's a real shame because a race like this can be a real showcase for Los Angeles, and there is no reason that it shouldn't be the premier local race of year.

I did the Olympic last year and, except for injuries, would be doing it again this year regardless of the course. But it would be all the better if the LA Triathlon remained the big race of the year. I really hope it's not fading away. Especially if that is due to poor efforts on the part of the organizers, the City of LA, and/or citizen opposition (CITIZEN OPPOSITION??!! Bite your tongue!).

Well, hopefully I'm just letting my imagination get the better of me. Good luck to all those who are signed up and all those who soon will be.

2007-08-17 9:28 PM
in reply to: #930238

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
duggar1 - 2007-08-17 8:44 PM

I wonder why the LA Triathlon web site isn't posting the confirmation list. Go to the web site http://www.latriathlon.com/ and click on Confirmation List and you'll see the message that they will begin posting it 6 weeks prior to the race. So far, with not much more than 3 weeks to go, it's still not up. Maybe registration is so low that to post it would be an embarrassment to the organizers (& the sponsors?). It's not the only part of the site that is not up to date, so maybe it's nothing more than that they have more important things to do. But, with the poor choice of the new run course, adding to a couple pre-existing negatives (the logistical problems of a point-to-point race with 2 transition areas, plus rough, poorly maintained roads along the bike route), maybe people are opting for other races instead.

Personally, I'm dismayed that the organizers are not making this a better race every year. A course change should be for the better. Who knows what caused the new run course to become a double out-and-back on a steep hill that a lot of people had to walk up last year, but it's certainly not an improvement. And yet, last year's course could have used some improvement.

If people are abandoning this race for others on the same day or within a few weeks of Sept 9th, it's a real shame because a race like this can be a real showcase for Los Angeles, and there is no reason that it shouldn't be the premier local race of year.

I did the Olympic last year and, except for injuries, would be doing it again this year regardless of the course. But it would be all the better if the LA Triathlon remained the big race of the year. I really hope it's not fading away. Especially if that is due to poor efforts on the part of the organizers, the City of LA, and/or citizen opposition (CITIZEN OPPOSITION??!! Bite your tongue!).

Well, hopefully I'm just letting my imagination get the better of me. Good luck to all those who are signed up and all those who soon will be.

I agree 100% with you. If the race is as 'bad' as some people make it out to be this year I will not be back next year.
2007-08-20 10:03 PM

User image

Hey, lucky me, I get free valet parking for this race!    Of course, I already paid $20 for a shuttle ticket ... so, if anyone would like to buy it from me, let me know.   The shuttle will take you and your bike from Staples to Venice in the morning or after the race ends.  I did it last year -- very easy way to deal with the point-to-point race.

2007-08-20 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
i also have 2 shuttle tickets, if anybody is interested just pm me.
2007-08-20 11:23 PM
in reply to: #933567

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
globalchaos - 2007-08-20 8:16 PM

i also have 2 shuttle tickets, if anybody is interested just pm me.

pm sent
2007-08-21 12:10 AM

User image

I'm not sure when I'll do it again.  It's a must do at least once if you live here, but for such a "big" race they just don't do things very well. The shirts pretty much suck.  They had pros running through AG bike racks to get to their bikes.  Poor signage and bike exit noted in chalk.  Bike course poorly marked (some pros missed a turnoff).  Sucky T2.  No run mile markers. 

Still had fun, but it's too pricey to be run that poorly

just my .02

2007-08-21 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
To put a positive spin on this event and go against everyone's negative spins...

I WON A VALET PARKING PASS!!!! WHOOHOO!

That is all.
2007-08-23 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
confirmation list is up.

2007-08-23 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
yeah and they mispelled my name...

We should all complain about the course and maybe they'll do something about it. How can such a big city have a crappy triathlon???
2007-08-23 1:25 PM

User image

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think you're being a little tough on this race.  I talked to the race staff;  they had to change the course b/c the city wouldn't give them a permit to close the extra roads.  B/c they close every road and have police at every single intersection on the bike course (something like 182 intersections, I think), it is a big expense and difficult for the city to do.  They did change the course substantially after the first year, to avoid the hill at Chavez Ravine, which was even worse than Grand Ave., but this year the city didn't give them much notice that they'd need to move the run somewhere else.

Yes, it's true that last year the miles weren't well marked on the run, that the pros missed the out-and-back on the bike, that some 5k runners did the 10k by mistake, and that Wilshire Blvd needed to be repaved. But it is still exhilirating to tackle that surf, to race down Hollywood Blvd with 2500 athletes, to zoom down Grand Ave at over 40mph, to run past Disney Hall, and to cross the darn finish line with a smile.

So, if you are registered, my advice, FWIW,  is just to enjoy it.   Review the maps and/or attend the course talk at the Expo, if you're local try to ride the course the week before with the race director (see the schedule online), play in the surf or race at Playa del Run at Malibu the day before.  Enjoy the scenery, be nice to the volunteers, and be thankful we're all healthy enough to be able to go play in the SoCal sun.

2007-08-23 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
I will complain if it is unsafe. If it is more challenging due to the hilly run or rougher than usual course, then no.

Just let me know what I can do when everyone is ready and willing.

-Ryan
2007-08-23 3:26 PM
in reply to: #937874

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2007-08-23 3:29 PM
2007-08-23 3:27 PM

hmmmm, the OP asked if it was worth the high cost.  Guess I shouldn't disclose my opinion be such a hater

No complaints or negativity here, just my observations.

I truly hope everyone has a great time racing it

2007-08-23 3:28 PM

Honestly, the difference between sprint and oly bike course is only 2 miles -- two miles!!! -- so sign up regardless.  When else can you ride down the streets with no traffic?

2007-08-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #938186

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2007-08-23 3:31 PM
2007-08-23 3:44 PM
in reply to: #937874

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
gailg - 2007-08-23 11:25 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think you're being a little tough on this race.  I talked to the race staff;  they had to change the course b/c the city wouldn't give them a permit to close the extra roads.  B/c they close every road and have police at every single intersection on the bike course (something like 182 intersections, I think), it is a big expense and difficult for the city to do.  They did change the course substantially after the first year, to avoid the hill at Chavez Ravine, which was even worse than Grand Ave., but this year the city didn't give them much notice that they'd need to move the run somewhere else.

Yes, it's true that last year the miles weren't well marked on the run, that the pros missed the out-and-back on the bike, that some 5k runners did the 10k by mistake, and that Wilshire Blvd needed to be repaved. But it is still exhilirating to tackle that surf, to race down Hollywood Blvd with 2500 athletes, to zoom down Grand Ave at over 40mph, to run past Disney Hall, and to cross the darn finish line with a smile.

So, if you are registered, my advice, FWIW,  is just to enjoy it.   Review the maps and/or attend the course talk at the Expo, if you're local try to ride the course the week before with the race director (see the schedule online), play in the surf or race at Playa del Run at Malibu the day before.  Enjoy the scenery, be nice to the volunteers, and be thankful we're all healthy enough to be able to go play in the SoCal sun.

I was afraid the City of LA was behind the change in the run course, but it's surprising to see that cost may have been a factor too. Probably a bigger factor than they are admitting. Seems to me if big corporate sponsors can't step up to the plate and cover the additional cost of closing streets along the course, then this race needs to get some new sponsors. I mean, come on... Kaiser, Toyota, Arrowhead, Accenture, etc... these companies represent zillions of dollars in profits. They sponsor lots of races, so maybe they need to sponsor fewer races, but fully fund them so that they will be quality races, with safe, good quality courses and be professionally organized. Especially this race. The LA Triathlon is the A race for a lot of people's tri season, and the organizers tout it as a big time event. Getting a few more sponsors, or getting a few more bucks from the major sponsors would seem to be a better solution than a boring run course. And another question, how much more could it cost this year over last year anyway? Come on Toyota, step up.

BTW, they don't actually close all the roads on the bike course. Last year I saw a lot of cross traffic while biking up Venice Blvd. Whenever it was clear, the police at the intersections let the traffic through. Same on some of the major cross streets going up Fairfax and Highland. This event is certainly easier on traffic than the LA Marathon. And how much cross traffic is there on a Sunday morning in downtown LA anyway? So I think despite what they say, the big reason is money not citizen inconvenience.

Regarding the safety of the run course, I think there isn't anything that is actually dangerous about it. For most people it's just going to be a tougher course, but it was pretty tough last year too. In my own personal situation I'm passing on this event because I'm just coming back from running injuries going back to mid-June and I'm not in any condition to be running in any kind of race just yet. However, this race was my main training focus since January, so not getting to compete is killing me so badly that if it weren't for the likelihood of re-injuring myself running down that steep section of Bunker Hill on Grand Ave, I'd probably do the race anyway. The uphill doesn't look too fun either, but tough courses tend to be an advantage for me. I just feel for that majority of participants who do triathlons with the goal of finishing, who are now going to have to do a lot of walking.

BTW, be ready for anything, but don't expect the huge surf at Venice Beach like last year. That beach typically has the lightest surf around. Last year I swam there almost every Saturday morning for about 6 weeks before the race, and it was like swimming in a pond.

Anyway, good luck to all of you who are signed up. And for those of you who are still undecided, I say, go for it!

P.S.    If there are a couple people out there who want to do this as a relay, email me. I'm in the best swim & bike shape of my life, and like I said, it's killing me not to be in this race!

Edited by duggar1 2007-08-23 3:45 PM
2007-08-23 4:33 PM
in reply to: #938191

Master
Santa Clarita
mixie - 2007-08-23 1:30 PM

heehee! I just made an edit it to say that. I thought it was more of a normal sprint bike distance like 9 miles. You're right....riding thru LA with no traffic... expensive yes, but not something you get much of a chance to do. I think i might do the bike only.

I did the sprint twice. The bike course is advertised as 20 miles but it actually adds up close to 22 miles. There is a right turn off highland onto 3rd street ( the one the pros missed and got DQ ) that differentiates the Olympic bike from the sprint course.

Riding through all those wide boulevards with no traffic or gas fumes on a Sunday Morning is one of the Highlights of the race.

Looking forward to it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LA Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 4