United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 33s
Overall Rank = 59/463
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/23
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30 drank a water right when I woke up then got some 2 small whole wheat pitas and we headed out the door.
Event warmup:

We ran about a half mile warm up. Probably could of warmed up more but ran out of time and wasn't sure where the race started so we palyed it safe by getting to the starting line early
Run
  • 20m 33s
  • 3.16 miles
  • 06m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 5k race so I wasn't exactually sure how to run the race and what time to shoot for. My goal time was to break 20 mins and start off slow and build speed. I started off a little to fast at about a 6:30 mile and then tried to maintain that for the run. During the run I felt pretty good because I was passing a lot of people but then I realized that this kid - maybe about 13-14 years old was running right with me. Around mile 2 I realized he was actually a few steps ahead of me and I though hoe can this be happening? Who is this kid? I couldn't let him beat me. So I picked up th pace and by mile 3 nearing the finish I was in head of him but dying. I tried to kick it at the end but had nothing. I saw the finish about 10 yards away and out of no where came the kid. He obvisouly had a kick and he ended up beating me and it was quite a bruise to my ego. Who was that kid? I think I will be haunted by this for a few weeks.
What would you do differently?:

Start off a little slower so I could have a kick in the end
Post race
Warm down:

no real warm down we had to go

Event comments:

Although I didn't get under 20 minutes I still feel good about the race especially because Dante did great and got under his goal for the run so overall it was a sucess.

Last updated: 2007-06-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:33 | 03.16 miles | 06m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 59/463
Performance: Good
Course: The course was flat but rocky.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-30 8:35 AM

Subject: Freedom 5k

2007-06-30 9:23 AM
in reply to: #867027

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Freedom 5k
I was there, it was hot, and Kelly is fast!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freedom 5k Rss Feed