Team ATS
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 44s
Overall Rank = 4/94
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

They had multiple waves of kids racing before the adults started. We were required to be in transition prior to 7:30 for our 10:00 start time. I watched the kids, chatted with other participants and otherwise just killed time.
Event warmup:

I jogged ~1 mile along the course and swam 5 laps just prior to the start of the race.
Swim
  • 07m 46s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was NOT a good swim for me. I have simply not been putting in the pool time to swim well. My gym membership is near work, but I haven't been able to break away long enough to get in more than a couple of short workouts in the past few months. This is reflected in my swim time. Typically I'm in the top 15-20%, but was well below that in this race.

Still, this was about as fast as I expected. Note that the swim time also includes a short run to the timing mat.
What would you do differently?:

Train. Maybe I need to get a vasa trainer or something to work on my swim strength and stamina.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

This is an estimated time. The timing company had mats at the beginning and end of transition, but must have missed the end and re-entry, because they lumped T1, bike and T2 together in the splits.

This was a pretty good transition. I ran from the pool, put on the helmet and ran with the bike. I thought I'd try getting into the shoes on the bike. This was the only slow part of my T1. I had a hard time getting in and ended up riding a few pedal strokes with one shoe upside down and scraping the ground.

Practice getting into shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 29m 48s
  • 10.4 miles
  • 20.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel pretty good about this ride. I've been struggling with consistency lately, yet I feel like I was flying past people the whole time. I managed to pass three of the people in my AG that got out of the water before me, leaving only thd 1st overall athlete.

We didn't start my wave of the event until after 11:00. By the time I was on the bike, it was getting very hot, and it was particularly humid due to recent rains. This didn't bother me too much during most of the ride, but I could definitely feel it on the hills.

I wouldn't do much differently during the race. I certainly need to train more seriously. I feel like I'm not at my potential right now.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Both transitions went very well in this race, but particularly T2. My dismount was particularly good. I managed to get out of the shoes and on to my left pedal while still traveling at almost full speed. I hit the brakes right before the dismount strip and stepped off in full stride. This is the best dismount and run through transition I think I've ever had.

Nothing. This was a clean T2.
Run
  • 19m 9s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a HORRIBLE run for me. It was HOT on the course! By the time I got off the bike, it was 93 degrees outside, with a humidity that easily put the heat index to over 100. Usually my legs start to burn when I'm pushing my run limits, but I never even got close to this. My stomach was cramping, and my head was pounding. I struggled just to keep moving. This affected others too, but I do feel at a disadvantage, because I have not yet adjusted to the humidity here. Toward the end, I was getting dizzy and just trying to make sure I could maintain consciousness.

On a cool day, I should have been a solid 3 minutes faster on this course.

I don't really feel there was much I could do.
Post race
Warm down:

I immediately collapsed after the run for a few minutes. I got up and made my way to the pool, where I soaked for a few minutes to cool myself down. This helped me to recover.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat was really the only factor other than training inconsistency.

Event comments:

This was a first time event. As such, it could have been run a little better. On the plus side, the director was very safety conscious. On the other end, they didn't order enough T-shirts or goodie bags and had no post-race food. I also hear that they ran out of water on the course, which was a big oh-oh on such a hot day.

I'd do this again next year if for no other reason than it was just nice and low key, and I certainly had fun.

Last updated: 2007-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:46 | 437 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 31/94
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: They started the race in waves. I was in a wave with the other members of my AG. Swimmers stayed in a single lane for 8 laps in the 25 meter pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:29:48 | 10.4 miles | 20.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 2/94
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was four laps out and back on the main Belterra neighborhood road. It had one good hill at the end of the North stretch and a shorter at the Southern end. The one on the North was bad enough that I slowed to 8-10 mph a few times and some people walked their bikes. Because of how they staggered the waves, the course was not very crowded. I only had to slow twice for other riders, and both times only momentarily. Because of the 4 laps out and back, riders pass the transition area 8 times. This makes it exciting for spectators. My wife and kids were cheering me on every time!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:09 | 02.49 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 12/94
Performance: Bad
Course: The course followed the greenbelt path for 3/4 of a mile and back, then took a loop around the welcome center then back to the finish line. It was flat and out in the open, with only two short shady spots.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 12:19 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Belterra Sprint Triathlon

2007-07-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: #867536

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: RE: Belterra Sprint Triathlon

Nice race Dave... Nothing to feel bad about-- You placed 4th overall-1st AG!!  Even though your swim wasn't where you thought it should have been, and you say you had a "TERRIBLE" run, I'd say you did pretty dang good.   Good point though about the humidity.  I'm sure that must have sucked   Way to push through it though -  I would have been walking after 1/2 mi.  Give it a bit more time there, and get some extra time in the pool, and you'll be winning these races!  

Scary fast... you know you're getting fast when you're placing 4th overall in a field of 100 and you're not even at the top of your game on race day.  Keep up the hard work-- looks like it's paying off!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belterra Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed