United States
International City Racing, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 26s
Overall Rank = 66/81
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to the LBC with my girl. Got there in plenty of time to register and stake out a spot away from everyone else so that she could read while I did the race. This is the first race she's come to in over 2 years so it was nice that she made the trip.

There were an amazing number of MV Naddadores at the event. I wouldn't be surprised if our own Elheffe was there or at least a lot of people he knows. If his daughter was there I'm sure she was one of the age groupers that tried to drown me with their wake.
Event warmup:

Took a dip about 10 minutes before the start to get a feel for the water. Water felt cold at first (of course) but felt good after I did a little warmup.
Swim
  • 1h 30m 26s
  • 5468 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well (all things considered). The first lap felt good. The women started 5 minutes after the men so I got a front row seat for the lead women hauling by me. They were really moving! I seemed to be in a reasonable rythmn. I wasn't over taxing myself and I was swimming straight with minimal sighting.

Lap 2 I started to fade and the chop seemed a little worse. I started to feel my stroke falling apart. Nearing the end of Lap 2 the lead men went flying by me. Ordinarily I would feel bad about being lapped but the winner swam a 53:50 for a 5k so I'm not all that worried about it. If I was in shape he wouldn't have got me but I was predicting 30 min./mile.

Lap 3 I completely lost my stroke and my hip started killing me. The chop also felt worse but it is hard to tell what was due to increased chop and what was due to me dying a painful miserable death. I seemed to have trouble swimming in a straight line and noticed my pull was all jacked up but that can get fixed in the pool. Basically I got tired and everything went to hell. Not surprising but it still sucks to experience it.

What would you do differently?:

Swim more leading up to the race. This was my first non-wetsuit ocean swim of the year so a little practice without the suit would also have been helpful. Use vaseline rather than Body Glide so that I don't get raspberries in my underarms. Ouch!

This was a no wetsuit swim and I could tell that all of the sigting was really hurting my body position in the water so I need to work on getting my stroke back in good working order.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Took a picture with my girl got some food and headed back up to LA.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swimming (and exercise in general) lately. That's about it. I need to swim more.

Event comments:

Extremely well run open water race. Open water races are usually no frills but they had food and drinks for after the race that were extremely cold and tasty. They even had timing chips which I'm not at all accustom to at open water races. Great race.

Last updated: 2007-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:30:26 | 5468 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 66/81
Performance: Below average
None.
Suit: Speedo
Course: Three clockwise loops. The loops were giant rectangles with the long side of the rectangle running parrallel to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Pacific Open Water Challenge 5K

2007-07-01 10:52 PM
in reply to: #867941

User image

Subject: RE: Pacific Open Water Challenge 5K
Nice and honest race report, still a good showing but I know you expect more out of it.  Hey, hard to beat a nice day in the water, and great that your girl came down for it too
2007-07-02 10:29 AM
in reply to: #867941

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Pacific Open Water Challenge 5K
Looks pretty good for "falling apart." Didn't feel good, but you hit your prediction, which is something, yeah?

Didn't know you were swimming, otherwise, I would have tried to say hello.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Open Water Challenge 5K Rss Feed