United States
MinneMan Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 28s
Overall Rank = 81/379
Age Group = m30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/32
Pre-race routine:

I wasn't even sure I was going to do this race. I need to get into the doc this week, but I pretty much have myself convinced that I have a stress fracture in my leg. I really don't want to get confirmation of this, because it likely means the end of the season (even once I rehab it is doubtful I will have enough time to adequately prep for my October marathon), so in the meantime I am not in constant pain and I love this race, so what the heck!

Left at 4 am to drive up. Got good rack location. Tried to find other BTers. Spread a little DEET around the body because it was a little buggy and there have been rumors of swimmers itch in the lake.
Event warmup:

Jogged and rode a bit, stretched.
Swim
  • 13m 58s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim never goes well, but this went worse than Buffalo. Could have stood up basically anywhere, but wanted to keep swimming. Maybe went out too hard, but got very worn out. Kelly (kelpeng) was in the next wave 3 minutes later and exited the water just in front of me.
What would you do differently?:

More swimming
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Realized that my bib number, that I had worn on a race belt under my wetsuit, had basically disintegrated in the water, so I took that off and left to deal with in T2.

Biggest problem was with getting into my shoes. I have been leaving my shoes clipped in lately, which generally goes well for me. Not so much today. Couldn't get my right foot to slip into the shoe, and after a minor wrestling match while riding along at about 12 mph, the shoe actually clipped out, and I found myself holding onto the unclipped shoe with the foot still not inside it. What now? Dunno what I did, but somehow managed to stuff my foot in and get clipped back up without causing a pileup.

Do better getting into shoes.
Bike
  • 36m 11s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt great. Fastest split yet. You know it is a fast course and there is a quality field of racers when over 21.5 mph barely breaks the top 50. I beat Autumn though!

naught
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Grabbed my race belt with mostly disintegrated bib number on it. Had to yell out my number at the exit because they couldn't identify me.
Run
  • 23m 32s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Calves cramped right away, as usual. Left one was the worst this time, just for different. Stopped for about 10 seconds to stretch and then gutted it out. Ran through the cramps and didn't really notice after about 1/2 mile. Slower than I have been running, but felt pretty good, anyway. If I do have a stress fracture, maybe the answer is to keep running - it seems to hurt much worse just walking around.
Post race
Warm down:

Food and drink. Chatted with a number of BT folks, most of whom I met for the first time. Stayed for the plentiful door prized (won nothing as usual). Left as the race awards were starting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dunno. I felt like everything went okay, just not great other than the bike. The field here is so fast, but I was still hoping for a little better overall finish.

Event comments:

Such a great event!

Last updated: 2007-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:58 | 528 yards | 02m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/32
Overall: 230/379
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleveless
Course: Rectangle, seemed longer than advertised to my swim-fearing little brain.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:11 | 13 miles | 21.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/32
Overall: 49/379
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Basically flat loop on mostly good roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:32 | 03 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/32
Overall: 94/379
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Subject: MinneMan Triathlon

2007-07-01 5:49 PM
in reply to: #867968

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: MinneMan Triathlon
Great seeing and talking to you again.  Nice job on the overall ranking. 
2007-07-01 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Great bike ride! 21.5 is excellent, even on an easy course.

You sure are right about the field being tough. 23.6 mph usually cracks the top ten easily, but not today.
2007-07-01 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
It was great to meet you! Sounds like you had a good race overall - work on T1 I need to also - maybe next year my foot won't get stuck!

I hope your leg is ok...better to get it checked out now than have a mess later.

Edited by norakraemer 2007-07-01 10:12 PM
2007-07-01 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
It was nice meeting you!  You had a great, solid race and a really nice bike split!  For what it's worth, it must have been the day of the clip-in/bike shoe issues...I was right there with you.  See you at Brewhouse! (and take care of that possible stress fracture!)
2007-07-02 2:08 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Great race.  What are you doing racing on a stress fracture?

Yeah, I need to practice the whole shoes in the clips thing.  I'm glad I didn't try it for this race .  Heh, you beat Autumn...if I had tried to 'beat' her, the run leg would have beat and battered me .  I hear you on the cramps.  I decided to just run through them.  They went away eventually.

Congrats on a great race (awesome bike leg, BTW). 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MinneMan Triathlon Rss Feed