United States
RYKA Iron Girl
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 29s
Overall Rank = 293/355
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 69/80
Pre-race routine:

I worked the night before, so I quickly gave report on my patients at 7 a.m., threw my running outfit on in the locker and then booked it downtown and arrived with 10 minutes to spare! I intentionally ate lunch late, around 3 a.m., and had a snack around 6 so that I was as properly fueled as I could get :)
Event warmup:

I did walk quickly from my car to the start since I was afraid I'd be late :)
Run
  • 58m 29s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

When I registered for this race, I really thought I was going to be on day shift so it wasn't my intention to work all night long THEN go race. I'm never at my best after spending 12 hours on my feet, so I just saw this as a nice supported training run as opposed to a "race." The first 15 minutes were rough, and after I finally warmed up, I fell into a nice rhythm. I was hoping to break an hour and was pleased I was able to do so.

I love doing all female events and seeing women of all ages and body types out there doing their thing. I also loved seeing so many racers in skirts!! I saw at least three other folks wearing the same one I had on which was fun. There were also quite a few kids - some sporting Girls on the Run shirts which is an excellent program for getting young girls out running - and I didn't mind at all being schooled by 10 year olds.
What would you do differently?:

This was just a fun event I did for pleasure. Obviously I try not to schedule races in mornings after I've worked, but hey - it made me get my run in today AND I had a nice catered breakfast!
Post race
Warm down:

Mmmmm, fabulous breakfast!

Event comments:

A very well organized event with excellent support along the course and a fabulous post-race meal! The breakfast buffet had everything from fresh fruit, croissant sandwiches, cereal, french toast, juice - it was awesome! Definitely geared towards the girls with white tableclothes and floral centerpieces set up for dining in the park :) The race shirt was a nice white technical tee that will get tons of use and all finishers - 5K and 5 mile - got nice medals which would be nice incentive for those just starting out to run. I'd recommend this event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:58:29 | 05 miles | 11m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 69/80
Overall: 293/355
Performance: Average
Course: Started from the State Capitol and went up a nice hill then meandered east, around Cheeseman Park and back to the Capitol. Relatively flat except for the start and a downhill towards the end heading towards the Art Museum.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 8:51 PM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Denver 5 Mile

2007-07-01 9:05 PM
in reply to: #868151

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Denver 5 Mile
Wow.  Nice run after spending 12 hours on your feet.  I love this event for all the things you mentioned and I turned into a total sap when that gal belted out the Star Spangled Banner.  Maybe I'll see you out there next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Denver 5 Mile Rss Feed