General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Long Branch, New Jersey
United States
Sandy Hookers Triathlon Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 3:30 and logged on to see the live web cam of the ocean so I could be exactly sure what I was worrying about...but since the picture was the same as the night before I figured I was not getting accurate information. Showered, got dressed and realized that I couldn't get my right contact in because I thought I was coming down with the pink eye Shay had this past week (eye feels all better now, salt water did the trick I guess) so I decided to go with one contact. There was no way I could race in glasses and no way to do it totally blind. Then I figured if I didn't do well, that would be my thing to blame it on (ha ha). I woke up Pete and he helped me get out to the car (with only one arm). I tried to get the bike on the rack, had trouble and took it out on him. God Bless him, he just blew it off and went on helping me in the dark at 4:30 am with one arm. Picked up Nora and stopped at Wawa for my bagel (which was terrible), coffee, banana and gatorade.
Event warmup:

Got down to the site by about 6. Signed in and racked the bike while Nora signed up for the swim. I noticed a yellow bike at the end of my rack and realized that must be maxpixie. We finally introduced ourselves after chatting here on line for so long, nice to see a friendly face, met her friend Jen and then introduced Nora. Cell phone rings and it was Mary who I thought was calling to wish me luck but she was calling from the parking lot, a surprise cheerleader for the sidelines! SISTERS ROCK! They called 5 minutes to start so we got ready and waited on the beach.
Swim
  • 09m 45s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

since this is considered a practice tri it was so low key. we watched the people doing the long course start and then loop around again. one wave of the short course went out and the guy on the bull horn said "we'll make the next wave all women". my ears perked up and i went running, left nora on the beach (sorry). i wasn't ready but i figured i just better get in and get this over with, SO terrified of the ocean. HOLY WAVES BATMAN and SO flipping COLD! in my head i was saying "i wish i had a wetsuit, i wish i had a wetsuit". when by the third buoy one did mot magically appear i stopped saying that. i also abandoned the freestyle and went to side stroke. i didn't need it to navigate i needed to get moving forward and i thought the power from my legs would be better and it was a good choice. it was easy to track on the way out since i was being pushed in to the buoys the whole way out. on the way back it was a different story. when i rounded the buoy i started back with the freestyle and kept swimming towards the right which actually kept me straight. my goggles were so fogged up it was pathetic. i stopped swimming too soon and started walking and got knocked down by two waves, i laughed at myself and started trucking up the beach.
What would you do differently?:

get a wetsuit
Transition 1
  • 05m 57s
Comments:

i was making mental notes as i was getting myself together of all the things i did wrong like keeping the straps on my helmet clipped WHAT WAS I THINKING! there were many stupid things like that. the one thing i was happy about was buying one of the chamois(sp?) swim towels that dry you off super fast but for some reason forgot to dry my right foot (maybe because that was the side with no contact so i didn't see it, ha ha) and was squishy in my right shoe for the whole bike.

set up better
Bike
  • 37m 9s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 15.34 mile/hr
Comments:

good course and i was with a lot of people so i didn't have to rely on reading the signs which was good. lots of guys past me, they were the swim heat behind me, and i passed a few people. i tried to go aero but with the wind i was too wobbly and bagged that idea.

dry my right foot. use a bike computer, mine lost a magnet but UPS should be bringing the new one this week.
Transition 2
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

i had a fair transition in. i did stop a little early getting off the bike and the transition area police said "uh you got a few more pedals to go" but i was nervous about unclipping in time.i still need to get lace locks for the running shoes, so that will help with the time here. My time would have been 2:11 for this but i realized that i forget my i-pod and went back to my spot to get it.

get lace locks or yanks
Run
  • 35m 26s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

i felt good about a half mile into it. saw my cousin christina who came down to do the bike and run. had to run around lots of families and walkers on the boardwalk but i can't blame them for my speed! my leg did not hurt at all!

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

high fived the sistas and the cousin and waited for maxpixie to finish. grabbed a bagel and drove home to TAKE A NAP

What limited your ability to perform faster:

TRANSITIONING!

Event comments:

the water stations on the run were self serve which wouldn't have been bad if the the cups were filled (i'm sure they were at start but no more when i got there) so i wasn't stopping to pour my water then drink it. always a good fun relaxed setting to literally get your feet wet!

Last updated: 2007-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:45 | 500 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Disoto Tri suit
Course: loop around 10 buoys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:57
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:09 | 9.5 miles | 15.34 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: through the streets of long branch. lots of cops to stop traffic.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:26 | 03 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: loop on the boardwalk
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

2007-07-02 6:40 AM
in reply to: #868198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

Nice work!  It was so good to see you, and thanks for waiting for me!   I split out of there so fast when I was done, I was so TIRED!

See you again in three weeks....

2007-07-02 7:32 AM

User image

Newberry
Way to go Carol.
2007-07-02 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great job! Ocean swims are hard! The only positive thing about swimming in the ocean is the current, it makes swimming in to shore so much faster! Great job, you're going to rock your races this season!
2007-07-02 7:55 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
You're a braver woman than me - if I only could get one contact in, I'd climb back in bed and call it a day. Congrats on a great tri - and look at that run after the swim & bike! If you hadn't been dodging people & getting your own water, think how fast you would have been!

WHOO WHOO WHOO!

Kristen

BTW - can I have one of your sisters? I need someone to surprise cheer for me - how cool is that! (I'd give her back, I promise!)

Edited by enders_shadow 2007-07-02 7:56 AM
2007-07-02 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Like I've said to you already, you were AWESOME yesterday!

High point of yesterday's race (for me, at least) is something that many of your race report readers may not know: you faced a major mental hurdle yesterday by diving in/running into/swimming in the OCEAN after so many years of staying on the shore and that makes you a WINNER in my book - NO MATTER WHAT the time was on the clock.

Considering I was there when we went through it the first time there was no way I was gonna miss the moment of triumph yesterday! 

Now we're (well, at least you are) off to conquer the NJ State in three weeks! Jorge says he's gonna staple my behind to the bike from now on. Should be interesting.

XOXOXO -M

2007-07-02 12:40 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Great job, Carol! Congrats on swimming the ocean!!!!
(I too want to borrow your sister...;-)

Edited by gorjess 2007-07-02 12:40 PM
2007-07-02 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
i can rent both mary and nora out for a nominal charge and for those of you on the west coast...i have one more there and she is just as cool! ha ha!
2007-07-02 2:23 PM
in reply to: #869173

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

mosc11 - 2007-07-02 2:50 PM i can rent both mary and nora out for a nominal charge and for those of you on the west coast...i have one more there and she is just as cool! ha ha!

i get a cut of that action, right? (gotta fund this tri obsession somehow!)

2007-07-02 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Carol, super job!  You busted trhough the fear on the swim (I can totally relate) and you did your run in 35 minutes.  I'm proud of ya girlfriend
2007-07-03 10:57 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Way to rock the tri girlfriend!!  You did a great job overcoming the fear of the OW.  It's all down hill from here! You did a great job on the runn to!!

2007-07-05 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

check the triumphant swimmer's exit from the ocean swim!

the confident cyclist!

and speedy runner!

Edited by marymosc13 2007-07-05 9:18 PM

(OWS1.jpg)

(bike1.jpg)

(run1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
OWS1.jpg (61KB - 33 downloads)
bike1.jpg (83KB - 39 downloads)
run1.jpg (80KB - 37 downloads)
2007-07-05 9:50 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Look at you, girlfriend! You look awesome - fast, strong & happy!!!!

Great pix.

Kristen
2007-07-06 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Woohooo - look at you in the first tri of the season.  With an ocean swim and all.  You rock girlie - great race!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed