Freetown, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Sport Events
Total Time = 7h 39m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Came in the day beforehand, got packet, went ot Chili's at 4:30, had fajitas, watched bad T.V. Got up at 5:00 and had peanuts, pretzels, and fruit.
Event warmup:

Popped in the water to test out goggles. Got out quickly as it was full of feathers (gross). I should mention that my only big problem with this race is that a flock of Canada geese lives at this camp and had "decorated" the entire area. Gross.
Swim
  • 1h 05m 26s
  • 2288 yards
  • 02m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started fine; I went right in the water and started swimming with the pack instantly. The woman behind me kept hitting me and popped up to apologize every time. The pack spread out pretty quickly and I had space to myself.

Partway to buoy #1, I started getting tossed around and taking in water. I can only breathe to my left, really. Switching up wasn't an option. I tried breaststroking to catch my breath, but I was barely moving at all.

When the wave behind me was about to catch up, I realized that I woudl totally lose it if I got dunked, so I swam to a rowboat and, um *hid* behind it until they were gone. After that, I took a really far line to avoid the later waves. I was hitting the chop at a better angle, so I was able to get air 9 times out of 10. After the turn, the chop wasn't in my face, so I was able to breathe fine. But I never got into a good rhythm. I really need to improve my swimming, no question.

Sighting was fine until the exit. I just couldn't find it for the longest time. Scoping it out beforehand would have fixed that.
What would you do differently?:

Improve my swimming - I was just screwed.

Transition 1
  • 06m 23s
Bike
  • 3h 52m 4s
  • 60 miles
  • 15.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I just kind of cruised this course. I probably could have gone a little faster, but I haven't ridden over 40 miles since Mooseman and wanted to pace myself. My equilibrium was way off and I was kind of twitchy (almost took out a volunteer at the bottle hand-off), but my legs felt great.

Had some entertainment as the Elites passed by. I saw a knot of three people that looked like a draft pack. Hilariously, they were actually having an argument (screaming!) about who "got" to pass who. Hee.

Pushed a little harder, but I did the right thing at the time.
Transition 2
  • 03m 41s
Run
  • 2h 32m 22s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

My first 10 miles were great - I picked off a lot of people and just cruised. My knee went out like clockwork at mile 9-10. I managed to jog most of the rest of the way by running up the shoulder, reversing the slope I had been running on. I would have loved to know my split before it happened - I would guess that I was on track for a 2:20, which is my goal.

Nothing - the knee is better, but still not all the way there.
Post race
Warm down:

Sent a bunch of cupcakes to their maker, and got a massage from my sister (trained OT).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor swimming ability.

Event comments:

I am putting the kibosh on any more tris until I can breathe comfortably to both sides. Period. I have been lucky so far, and my luck ran out.

Last updated: 2007-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:05:26 | 2288 yards | 02m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Uneven rectangle.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:23
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:52:04 | 60 miles | 15.51 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2-lap course. The course was 4 miles long (last-minute change). It's so funny, because no one seemed to care that it was long. But if it had been 0.3 miles short instead, you know people would have been raising holy hell. Anyway, I loved the course. Super scenic, never boring flat but no hills that really broke momentum either. The couple spots of crap pavement were really well marked out. And a bunch of dogs just trotting around the road. No chasing, though.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:41
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:32:22 | 13.5 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat to slight hills, mostly back roads, decently shaded for the most part. Loaded water stops every mile.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-02 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Subject: Patriot Half Iron

2007-07-02 8:22 AM
in reply to: #868445

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron

Great race.  The swim was kind of tough especially at the first 2/3 of the course when the shop/current was acting against us. 

I spectated some of the bike and run - saw packs of cyclists drafting off a truck!  Race officials were shaking their heads. 

Nice race for you. Hope to meet up some time. 

2007-07-02 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
I think that was one of the toughest swims I've done .  The curretn was defiantely not my friend.  Nice run and great job on finishing!
2007-07-02 6:27 PM

Nice work!  A time improvement over mooseman even with the long course is impressive.

Apparently I was zoned out yesterday because I didn't see you at all... maybe you saw me?  I was walking like a 90 year woman, so probably pretty conspicuous.  Anyway, if you ever want to get some OWS swim practice in, send me a PM and I'll show you the place I go to in Durham.  It's pretty sweet.

Edited by DMW 2007-07-02 6:27 PM
2007-07-02 7:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice race!!

I hope the bilateral breathing comes along as I'm a one sider breather too and know it is tough to break the habit.

Weird about the draft pack on the bike...some folks just need to cheat to gain a couple of minutes?

Nice job on the run and glad you had 10 strong miles..hope your knee continues to improve!

Congrats! 

2007-07-02 8:25 PM

User image

Master
CT
Nice job Elizabeth! Your effort, as usual, is really amazing. I only breath to the left too! For the most part it works for me

2007-07-02 8:32 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
congrats on the race! I didn't meet you (I think) but I was the crazy guy with a red shirt and USAT cap running all over the place at transition area
2007-07-03 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Great race and the swim was rough. Once you knee feels better you will be able to crush the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron Rss Feed