Tri-Maine
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 7s
Overall Rank = 23/203
Age Group = 30-39m
Age Group Rank = 10/47
Pre-race routine:

Standard PB and toast breakfast w/coffee. Drove up with Mike and setup. Last year this was my first Tri ever so I was looking forward to see how much I improved over the year.
Event warmup:

About 100 yards of swimming
Swim
  • 26m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

This has been a weak spot for me so going into this race my goal was to push the swim and try to improve my overall rank in the swim. I went out harder than usual and kept the stroke cadence up. I also did not forward site very much and tried to use the shorline as my guide. Since is was a down river swim, I figured I couldn't get too lost. But since I tend to drift right, this strategy really took me too close to the shore and out of the main current.

One major mistake in navigation was I was just swimming along and I looked up to find myself trapped in a marina's dock slips. I couldn't get out. I had to ask a guy working on his boat who was laughing at me to help pull me out so I could run over the dock a jump back in.

Overall, I finished just about MOP so it was a very good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not get trapped like a beached whale. I need to continue to practice my swiming and really focus on balance and swmming straight.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

T1 time was include in the bike time, so it is an estimate. No real issues here. Things went as usual.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.00 mile/hr
Comments:

If I asked you to show me a harder course than this one, I'd think you would be hard pressed to do so. There aren't any huge hills but the hills are constant. I think the elevation gain is about 1500ft. There is no flat area on the course so gear selection is huge.

As usual, I went about as hard as I could. My legs were not at 100% so I really had to dig deep on this ride. After about 6 or 7 miles I was pretty much all by myself. It is a nice feeling to be back of the front of the pack. At about the 10 mile turnaround I started to see MikeJ and picked it up a little to try to real him in. I also saw the leader and counted about 20 riders ahead of me before I got to the turnaround.

About 2 miles later I caught the next rider who I thought would be Mike but it wasn't. Another mile or so I caught 2 more riders on the same team, on each others wheel no less (I love passing draft cheaters). And Mike was no where to be found. He either turned into Norman Stadler or made a wrong turn. I later found out he missed a turn.

The rest of the ride was uneventful as I had no one behind me or in front of me as far as I could see. So it was a very lonely time trial. I did catch a few more riders in the last couple of miles but by that time I was spinning and getting ready for the run.

I didn't taper for the event so the tired legs were expected and unavoidable. I didn't eat well leading up to the race and my body did not have the proper energy for the race. This is something I certainly can control and I'm not happy with my laziness with my diet.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Estimated time. Great T2 for me. This was my first attempt at taking my shoes off before the dismount and it worked great. My only mistake was putting my wetsuit on top of my running socks so they were hard to get on because they were wet.
Run
  • 48m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were toast. I passed someone early but that was it. I think I was passed by 4 or 5 runners before the finish. Oh, I also had to stop for a train and lost 30 seconds or so. Other than the few that passed me, I was pretty much alone on the run so I really had no one to pace off of. The hills hurt, the downhills hurt, there weren't any flats but I'm sure those would hurt also. Overall, I'm pleased I didn't walk at all and I'm happy I pushed it enough to keep my position.

Do the aquabike.
Post race
Warm down:

I had cold sweats during the last half of the runs and walked around until those go away. Chatted with Rob and Mike. Rob had some bike problems and had to DNF. Thanks Rob for sticking around to jockstrap, your words of encouragement really helped me get through that run!

Got a massage, cheered it a couple of later finishers and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not tapering. Prerace nutrition.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/47
Overall: 119/203
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: down river with slight current. Pretty muddy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:01 | 24.85 miles | 21.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/47
Overall: 22/203
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A challenging rollercoster. Lollipop loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:48:06 | 06.21 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/47
Overall: 45/203
Course: Much like the bike course there were constant rolling hills. There was some shade but it was fairly warm out there. The course was one big loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-02 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: Shipbuilder's Triathlon

2007-07-02 10:12 AM
in reply to: #868645

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Shipbuilder's Triathlon

Great job on the race without taper!

They actually made you stop for a train to pass?  They should have made arrangements for the train to stop for the racers.  Looks like the bike course was harder than Mooseman. 

2007-07-02 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Another great race my friend!  Congrats on making such a dramatic improvement from last year! Lets keep working on improving the OWS.

2007-07-02 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Maine
I've said it before and I'll say it again - you are a machine! Awesome to see the contrast in performance from only a year ago. Now if I can just stay on your wheel...
2007-07-02 5:51 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow...you have been doing tris just for a year and look where you are!

To funny about the swim navigation issues....awesome bike splits...and nice run even without a taper.

You need to put in your RR what your times were from last year....it is cool to see how much progress one can make in a year!

Congrats...great race~

Looked it up 2:46 last year and this year 2:28...it is amazing to improve 18 minutes when you started out fast already....great job! 

Edited by KathyG 2007-07-02 5:52 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shipbuilder's Triathlon Rss Feed