Sun Sport Events
71F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 22m 13s
Overall Rank = 460/502
Age Group = Cyldesdale
Age Group Rank = 21/22
Pre-race routine:

I did a quick run through of all three sports Saturday morning. During my short bike I realizes that my Tri-shorts have worn out between my thighs and that I can't use them for the race. That's ok because I planned on going to register on Saturday and there are always vendors at these races. After that, my friend picks me up to help him move. We get the van and get all of his big stuff packed up. Couch, lounge chair, bed, dresser, desk, dinner table, and some small boxes. We head over to his new place and he goes to get into his new apartmetn. I wait in the van and wait and wait about 40 minutes later I see him. Luckily his new roommate is there by now, so I can leave. It's about 2 pm, I'm in Boston, I haven't eaten lunch, I haven't registered and I still don't have Tri-shorts for tomorrow.

Heather picks me up, we eat a quick lunch and head to the race site. Beautiful park. I register and walk over to the vendor area. Sure enough, no one is selling race clothes today. Great. My parents just got into their motel and are on there way to the park to meet up with us. Heather and I wait for them and they get there really quickly. We walk around alittle and run into Joanne and Glen. They were all fired up and ready to go, while I'm just scared and worried. We head over to the transition area and see Jorge running around working. It was really great seeing everyone.

Heather and I leave the park around 4:30 and head back to Boston. We stop at international bike center and I get the only Tri-shorts they carry. We eat at Carlo's in Allston, which was awesome as usual, and head home. There I pack up the car, jump in the shower to rinse myself off from moving and all of the running around at the park and head to bed.

I get up at 4:30, finish packing up the car, and eat oatmeal. We head out and I have some coffee in the car, but not much. We get to the race site and park. Heather helps me carry everything over to the transition area and I set up. Once I finish, I head over to Heather as she waits for a Porta Potty, and she spots my parents walking over to the transition area. I run into them and talk alittle bit. I'm really scared and dreading the long, long day ahead of me. Quick stop in the woods and I start getting my wetsuit on. I make my way over to the swim start and try to feel better. Joanne and Glen talk to me alittle to see if I can get pumped up alittle. I'm just dreading the long race at this point. I was just in a negative state of mind all week.

Anyway, I get in the swim corral and I think I see DK, turns out it was. I wade out in the back of the pack, and the guy next to makes a joke about the good swimmers lining up in front of us. And then we're off...
Event warmup:

Do'h!
Swim
  • 41m 25s
  • 2288 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well starting off, I was aiming for the second bouy since that seemed like a straighter line. Maybe I was wrong, because no one was near me until I hit the bouy line. Anyway, starting off, my shoulder and triceps were burning, I wasn't surprised because this happens when I don't warm up before a swim. Once I hit the second bouy, my arms felt fine. At this point, I realize that I can't swim a straight line. I decide to just settle into a groove trying to pull to the left or right and resetting every once in awhile. Nice zig-zag swim. Once I round the first turn, I realize the section parallel to the beach wasn't parallel to the waves. So instead of swimming along the waves, we had to swim into them. The second turn comes up and it's just more zig-zagging back to shore. I did have to time my breathing with the waves on the way back, but it was fine.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up and learn how to swim in a straigh line. Otherwise it was a good swim where I kept my effort level low and a decent pace.
Transition 1
  • 04m 33s
Comments:

Not bad. I walked from the beach to the transition area and jogged alittle to my bike rack. Took off my wetsuit and put on my socks and shoes. Loaded up on gels and Cliff bars and sprayed on the sun screen. Helmet and sunglasses on and I'm heading out. Went great.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 3h 52m 17s
  • 59 miles
  • 15.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I really don't know where to begin with this. I wish I was faster or that my legs felt better or that I had a better bike or that I had more gatorade or that I got my bike fitted that I didn't blow off so many training rides. This was the part I was dreading. All day out on the bike. I know I can bike the distance, but I also knew it would take forever.

5 miles in, I realize that my legs just were sluggish and that I had no power in them. None. Every little incline I was dropping to the small ring on my triple crank. My legs are starting to hurt, my back is starting to hurt, and I'm 4 miles away from completing the FIRST lap. Later on I pass a guy with a flat and I'm jealous that he's done.

It was just a tough mental challenge for me. I was really down on myself and I just couldn't look at the bright side. I was pissed at myself and I hated feeling weak and slow. I hated that I had to make Heather and my parents wait 4 hours before I finished. It really was a mental battle the whole 4 hours.

Everything. Well, did have a decent cadence I think for most of it. Besides that, everything.
Transition 2
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

I just got off the bike, as everyone was cheering the people finishing. And I see the entire transition area filled with racked bikes. I notice my parents and Heather watch me as I walk to my rack and struggle with leg cramps to get my shoes on. I just wanted to burst into tears. I head to the run exit and Jorge sees me and cheers me up. That really was a huge boost. I head into the woods and I almost burst into tears again. A volunteer sees me as I exit and wishes me luck.

Good tip. I put my fuel belt in a small zipper cooler while it sat out for the race. When I opened up the cooler and through the belt on, everything was nice and cold including the belt.

Funny thing about this. I had a great transition. Cramps limiting and me not running with the bike, but everything went great. Go figure.
Run
  • 2h 39m 25s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I starting off and my mental mood is changing. The sun is out, and I forgot to reapply the sun screen but whatever. I come up to some people at the first water table and we run and chit chat until the next mile. Then we lose the guy and it's me and a girl from Conn. and we're just talking about Tri's. At mile three she stops and I keep going. I feel good and strong and I'm moving at a decent pace. I did finish my 6oz gatorade bottle in 30 minutes, whereas I would usually take an hour to finish. I have a Gu at 45 minutes and I'm pouring water on my head at the water tables. I past a woman around mile 5 which had a porta potty at the water table. She said she was waiting for one, and I joked about the advantage of being a guy during these things. I catch up to two woman doing a TNT event in San Fran in October. I pass them and hit an up hill. 6.5 miles and this was it. My quads cramped up and I had to walk. The TNT women passed me and I walked until I felt better. I tried to jog some more and I decided to do the 8/2 for the rest of the run. This worked out great and I passed those women again and we joked about it. Around mile 10, my quads just wouldn't last for 8 minutes. I was walking alot more. By 11 I would jog until my quads cramped and walk until they were better. I followed this until the park was close by. I tried to run in, but my legs just wouldn't have. I get into the park and it kinda wound around to the finish line. At this point, everyone that I passed during the run, well 80% of the people, passed me. I just started running again and limped across the line with my quads and calves in complete knots. Should make an interesting photo.

Qoute from my May 13th long multi sport workout. "I should have finished my Gatorade and I need to look into Salt tablets." My legs cramped up bad that day too, and did I look into salt tablets. Nope. And I paid for it. I think I would have shaved 10-15 minutes off easily. I just wish I felt as strong at the end of the run as I did at mile 5. I also drank too much early and my stomach was upset towards the end of the run and after the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my parents and Heather. Tried to eat a roll, but my stomach was still upset. Glen gave me a huge hug and was so proud. Joanne and Glen came back on congradulated me as did Jorge. It was great seeing them, even if I was so down on myself. Heather helped me pack up the transition area and change into dry clothes. We went back to my parents hotel room and I just rinsed off in the shower. Heather and I went back to Boston and had dinner and unloaded the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

I couldn't have asked for a better day. It was really perfect and everything went smoothly in terms of transitions. Also, I was on my projected pace besides the run. I just knew I would be out on the bike forever and that I wouldn't even be close to done by the time the award ceremony would be done. I just wish I wasn't depressed and that it wasn't such a mental struggle. I really have to thank Joanne, Glen and Jorge. They were just awesome. Even though I haven't be able to be on BT since starting school, I'm really happy that I still around.

Last updated: 2006-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:25 | 2288 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 421/502
Performance: Average
Suit: Seeveless Bodyglove
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle in a big lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:52:17 | 59 miles | 15.24 mile/hr
Overall: 481/502
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops with some rough road sections and some smooth road sections. A few hills not many or anything that I would call really tough.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:39:25 | 13.5 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 437/502
Performance: Average
Course: Winding loop through residential neighbor hood. Some hills at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-02 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: Patriot Half Iron

2007-07-02 11:03 AM
in reply to: #868758

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron

Great race JP, with all those extra "strength training" (helping a friend move) the day before.  Nice to see you, although I wasn't sure if it were you.  And I was a bit nervous at the swim start when I saw those white caps. 

It was a great day, and good job out there.

2007-07-02 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Even though you may not be too estacic with the race, we often learn much more about ourselves when we are faced with challenges.  And the one that you faced was calling it quits becasue the day was not going your way.  Congrats on finishing and proving to yourself that no matter what, you will perservere!!
2007-07-02 8:34 PM

User image

Master
CT
hey! good job hanging in there and getting it done! Sounds like you really did battle with yourself to get through this one! Kudos for winning out over those negative thoughts and the nasty cramps!
2007-07-02 9:23 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Sometimes the finish time don't reflect the hard work behind it and the courage it took for you reach that milestone. FORGET about that! it was your 1st HIM and now you have something to build upon. Now you know you can do go the distance and with more work things will only get better. Wear your Patriot HIM T-shirt with pride cuz you earn it one painful step at a time We are very proud of you for sure!

2007-07-03 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Nice finish and way to gut it out at the end.  I was one of those girls waiting for the port-a-potty at Mile 5 and complaining about how guys had it easy and could just pee wherever they wanted to. 

2007-07-05 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Now that's some perseverance.  Awesome job!
2007-07-05 10:01 AM

Expert

Way to really tough it out.  You will be a much better race for it.  My first HIM was two years ago and I had some of the same battles.  I think it makes you a stronger and better racer.  Either way, you finished a HIM and should be very proud.

When is your next HIM?  I am going to take a break from long course and see what I can do at the Oly and sprint level.

Once again, great job out there.

Mark

2007-07-05 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

YOU ARE A 70.3 FINISHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No longer a half iron virgin you learned a TON from this race- WRITE it all down..NOW! I knew you were having misgivings but only you knew how deep those were. From my perspective you accomplished much simply by showing up and attempting this race ..and truly remarkable is the fact that you made it to the finish line overcoming the negative mind stuff which is deadlier than the cramps. I hope that you can step back & applaud yourself for what I believe will be a race and experience that taught you much about racing and yourself. Display that Half iron Medal hwre you can be proud of it. Heartfelt and well earned CONGRATULATIONS.

2007-07-05 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
After reading that race report.....I'm even more proud of you ! Great perserverance, endurance and general GUTS!!  as they say...jpCAN!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron Rss Feed