Freetown, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Sport Events
Total Time = 6h 00m 18s
Overall Rank = 270/502
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/28
Pre-race routine:

I arrived at the race site on Saturday evening at about 5:10 (10 minutes too late to register, oh well). I saw Kathy and Emily there and chatted with them for a bit. I walked around trying to figure out where transition was and then made the big mistake of looking over the swim course. It just looked so damn far and the wind was really kicking up. I was just hoping that it wouldn't be so windy the following morning.

I woke up early Sunday morning as I was pretty nervous. I was in no shape to do this race and knew it would just be a long training day but nonetheless the distances are still intimidating. I got to the race about 5:30, registered and set-up transition. I saw Kathy again (always nice to see a familiar face when travelling alone). Later on I saw Joanne and Glen in transition, which was really cool.
Event warmup:

I warmed up by watching all the previous swim waves take off and stressing to no end.
Swim
  • 42m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

So I have done a half a dozen swims THIS YEAR...none of this distance. Can it be a nice calm day...no no no, we need whitecaps...perfect. Okay, just take your time and try not to drown. The first leg went straight out into the wind. I could see the strong swimmers plow right through it but the weaker swimmers really struggled...hmm, something to look forward to.

So my wave is finally up and I am done being nervous, I'll just get through it. I discover early that I really need to turn my head when I breath or just get a mouthful of water. I am actually swimming pretty straight but I have to focus so much on breathing that my pulling is really pathetic and it is taking for ever to get to the first turn. Once I got around the turn, I actually had a pretty decent swim to the next turn. I went pretty straight and got into a nice rythm. However, once I hit the turn for home, everything just went to hell. My arms were killing me, I kept pulling to the right and I was swallowing massive amounts of water everytime I breathed. I stopped a couple of times just to calm down and get refocussed. Finally I hit land and literally just stood there for a few seconds...man that sucked.
What would you do differently?:

I am pretty comfortable in the water but I just don't have anything resembling swim endurance so if it is anything other than ideal conditions, I really struggle. Just need to swim more.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This being a training day, I just took my time.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 17s
  • 60 miles
  • 19.64 mile/hr
Comments:

First, I am firm believer that over longer distances, flat courses are not any faster than hilly courses (within reason). In my mind, this course was just painful. They had to change the course due to road contruction which added 4 miles (prefect). In addition, it was so damn flat. Even the few up hills were not followed by downhills. I can think of only one section which I actually went fast enough to coast. So think of hoping on your trainer, putting it into the big gear, dropping into the aerobars and not moving for 3 hours...ouch. By the second loop, anything remotely resembling a hill I was standing just to get some relief.

I tried to pace myself as best I could but probably pushed a little too hard. One thing I love about shorter races is that you just drop the hammer and hang on for dear life. For this type of race, you have to be patient (which I am not good at). When I felt myself pushing too much, I backed off. The course was quite scenic and I had riding buddies most of the time. We all road clean but pretty much stayed with other for a good part of the race. About halfway through the second loop, all but one seem to drop off (but I don't remember really picking up the pace).

By mile 50, I just wanted to be off the bike. My legs were starting to ache, my neck was killing me and I was not looking forward to the half marathon coming up. Pretty much from mile 50-60, I backed way off and tried to save my legs. I spun much more, even coasted once or twice and tried to fuel up. Finally I reached transition and it felt SOOOO good to get out of the aerobars.

Nothing really
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, really took my time as I was not in any rush.
Run
  • 2h 09m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahh, the run. I just wanted to cover the distance in the least amount of pain. So far I had done my longest swim of the year in the worst conditions I ever swam in, did my second longest ride and now was heading out on my longest run. I had no delusions about running quickly.

I actually felt really good to start but made sure I kept it at no faster tha 9/mile pace as I knew it was going to get harder. I was having a little bit of stomach issues so gels where just not happening. Instead, I switched to the miracle drug...warm coke. It is amazing how fast and how much it works. So I survived on coke and water for the rest of the run. I did however stop at a few of the aid stations and chatted it up a bit, ate some oranges and a little candy. This was such a change of pace for me. I am usually so focussed on going fast it was nice to slow down, talk with the volunteers and check out the scenery. I was still running at 9/mile pace but stopped at every aid station and drank as much as I could. I just walked until my cups were empty.

By mile 11.5, the tank was empty and I walked quite bit. My number one goal was to NOT beat the hell out of myself and if that meant walking, so be it. When I finally crossed the line, I was tired as hell but felt pretty good in general. This was a whole different experience than Timberman. It is amazing the role that nutrition plays. I was in much better long course shape heading into Timberman two years ago but my time was quite a bit slower. If you factor in the longer bike which probably added 12-15 minutes, I was about a half hour faster just because I ate and drank so much better. I just find it interesing to think that your whole race can some crumbling down if you mess up this one area.

Nothing, I think I paced myself pretty well and I am happy with the run...especially since I can still walk today :)
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a little water, headed to transition and grabbed all of my stuff. I knew I needed calories but my stomach was a little upset so I just stuck with water. I lied down in the back of my truck for a little bit and then packed up and headed home. I had a long drive and I wanted to make sure I started to drive as I was only going to get more tired.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training

Event comments:

I thought the race was very well down, especially for a first year HIM.

Last updated: 2007-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:46 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/502
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:17 | 60 miles | 19.64 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:09:10 | 13.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-02 12:00 PM

Expert
Subject: Patriot Half Iron

2007-07-02 2:43 PM
in reply to: #868921

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron

Way to get it done Mark! Glad to hear your nutrition didn't fail you.

How about another one in September? Extrememan Half Iron in Madison...

2007-07-02 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Great job Mark, maybe you just need to ride that stretch on Norwich Ave about 10 times out and back to get used to those flat roads .  Sometimes its nice just to run a race for fun instead of being so focussed on time.
2007-07-02 4:28 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Too bad I didn't get to see you.  Kathy were looking for you at the finish. 

If the race distances are really the first or second longest of the year, I'd say you did very well. 

I swear Coca cola is magic.  Not only it's a great fuel, we have this cold remedy of ginger roots with hot coca cola.   

Hope to see you in other races. 

2007-07-02 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Great job Mark.  Helluva swim for a guy named Stone.  Kudos for getting out there given the challenges you've had fitting training in around work.  Way to exercise those Timberman demons and get the nutrition down.  As Polly said, how about another one this fall! 
2007-07-02 6:56 PM

User image

Master
CT
Awesome job Mark! Sounds like you ran a smart race right to the finish! Good work!

2007-07-02 7:32 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

Given your busy work year, getting out there and doing well and adjusting as needed was excellent!

For 6 swims this year, being rough your swim is impressive! 

You looked good off the bike even though you weren't happy and finishing you were strong. It was fun to see you throughout the day.

Nutrition/hydration are so important and you nailed it.

Glad to see you finish...congrats~ 

2007-07-03 5:33 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut
Nice job!  Awesome on the swim, in particular, considering how little you said you've been able to train in the water.
2007-07-03 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
great RR -- nice job on the race
2007-07-03 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Awesome job on the race. I definitely agree with the course though. Every little up hill had no rewarding downhill. Great job on the swim and the run. So, when's the next HIM?
2007-07-05 11:08 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Glad you decided to come down - was good to see you again-however briefly! pretty respectable times for a "guy-in training-not in a hurry.".LOL..Hear you on the nutrition/hydration thing- . Nice job & hope you get to eke out more training/racing time for yourself.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron Rss Feed