General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach vs. no coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-02 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: Coach vs. no coach
So in thinking/preplanning a potential 08 IM... I got to wondering how many people use/used a coach, and who just followed a training plan and what the thoughts were? I currently kind of made my own for my HIM using Friels book. I did pretty good at following the general plan, but not much with zones, drills, etc. Just more so building and putting the time in to gain more endurance. Im not too sure yet which way I want to go for a IM (added fyi: Im not looking to qualify for anything, or break any times, more so just to finish in good spirits for my first )

Edited by kellc09 2007-07-02 12:38 PM

2007-07-02 1:28 PM
in reply to: #868982

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Coach vs. no coach

You just have to evaluate what you want out of the experience and be honest with yourself with your strengths and weaknesses.  If you can do that, and you don't have any problems with motivating yourself to meet your workouts no matter how hard they are, or how tired you are, then you can get away without one I would think.

I personally am not using one nor have I for my two HIMs.  But I tend to be pretty much a clock when it comes to getting my workouts in as needed regardless of conditions, and I know my main weaknesses.

2007-07-02 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
Some of us need the accountability of reporting  back to someone.    If you were able to put together a plan and you reached your goals then a coach may be overkill.  I for one LOVE my coach and wouldn't want to do this without him.  When no one else wants to listen to me drone on I can count on being able to call him...since I pay him
2007-07-02 1:29 PM

Master
portland, or
For my first I used a coach on a consultant basis. An hour phone call at the start of the season where he helped me put together an ATP for the season, went over my limiters, set up specific workouts, etc.

Eight weeks out from the race we had another hour phone call where he fine tuned my final specific prep phase and went into more detail regarding nutrition and race strategy. He also responded via e-mail to some specific questions I had through the season. Lastly he did the same IM and invited me to do a pre-race swim with him and some of his full-time athletes and attend a pre-race briefing he did.

All very worthwhile. I think I paid him $125 for each of the phone calls, which was $25 more then his "price list", but I felt it was worth twice what I paid.

For my second I hired a coach on a full-time basis. The biggest advantage to having a full-time coach was not having to figure out my daily/weekly schedule. Every Sunday he called to see how the previous week went, asked about potential schedule conflicts for the upcoming week, then e-mailed me the next week's schedule.

In addition to taking away the task of planning, he kept me accountable. I don't have a problem getting out the door to train, but I do have a habit of doing too much, going too hard, etc. If I logged a workout that was not in line with my schedule, I would hear about it. Also it kept me from reading about a workout and/or plan and deciding I had to do that, thus not sticking to a specific program. I paid $175 per month for his services. Again well worth it.

This year I'm doing it on my own. I'm applying what I've learned from my past coaches and it seems to be working well for me. Time will tell.

So I think a coach is valuable, but not necessary.

Good luck,

scott
2007-07-02 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I have always had a coach so I can't speak to what training is like without one. I agree that it really depends on what your goals are for a race. Accountability is often a reason people site, and that's true, but for me it was more about retaining the services of a professional to maximize my potential perfromance. People hir eme to invest their money for them, I wanted to hire someone to invest my triathlon goals into.
2007-07-02 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I think everyone stated the pros and cons.  It is about accountability and what YOU want to achieve in the race.  If finish is the top goal and you are self-driven, then a coach probably isn't needed. 

I just finished CDA withOUT a coach.  Plus I used the BT Ironman plan.  I think my time and race speaks for itself. 

I will likely use a coach NEXT time.  Not because the plan isn't adequate.  I feel that I have a lot of unused potential.  A coach will help identify these areas and I bet that I can significantly drop my time. 

2007-07-02 9:53 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I haven't done an IM but plan to in the future. I've had a coach, the same one, for this is my third season with him. I really can't imagine training/racing in tris without one. He helps me so much and I've improved far more than I ever could on my own.

He is educated and has vast experience working with lots of athletes and can help design my training so my time is used most efficiently sort of getting the most out of my training. Plus he helps me with picking out new equipment, regular and race nutrition, mental aspect to racing and training, helps me figure out what to do when injuries crop up and is very supportive when things go well and when they don't. I have a plan for each workout and know what I'm supposed to do and why.

For me it makes training more fun. I remember about a year ago being in the pool and watching folks that I see all the time, doing the same workout each time they are there. Man that would for me be so boring. Each of my swim workouts is laid out, variable and has different purpose. So many folks just do time in the pool. I though to myself I never want to be like them...with a coach I'm not.

For me it isn't being accountable, as I don't miss workouts or need outside motivation/pressure to do them.

IM is a huge undertaking and having someone with knowledge, experience, and guidance takes a huge responsibility off you...you have someone else designing your training all you need to do it execute it to the best of your ability. If you think of all the $ and time you'll invest in doing an IM, the additional cost of a coach who will help you prepare and get to the starting line ready to race, is small but can make a huge difference in your experience. Cost varies and it doesn't have to be super expensive...sure some coachs are very expensive, others like mine is reasonable.

2007-07-02 10:11 PM

New user

Knoxtopia, TN
I did my first IM off the free training plan I got from this site and had no complaints. Then again I have some friends who have been doing Iron distance longer than I so I can turn to them if I have any questions. I would definitly assume that if I got a coach I could do a lot better than I do without one, but I'm not trying to qualify I'm just doing it to have fun and see how far I can push myself. Long story short I'll agree with what everyone else has said. It can't hurt to have a coach, but you do just fine without one if you're accountable to yourself.
2007-07-03 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I'm training for my first HIM this season and  I decided to hire a coach. Why? Well mainly for 2 reasons.

1. I needed to get faster and I wasn't sure how. I had a good endurance base, and while I'm not trying to qualify for anything or win anything, I really needed to get faster so I could compete as a MOPer. More for my ego than anything. I was tired of being BOP.

2. I needed to be able to train and get through the season without injury. I tend to over-do and not rest when I should. So, having a plan to follow with specific rest times is awesome. And when I feel a twinge here or there, my coach tells me exactly what to do (or not do).

So far, it's been awesome. I've dropped about a 1 min/mile off my 5K time in 4 months. I've gone from about 15 mph average on the bike in a race for a sprint to 17.5 mph average. My swim hasn't really gotten any faster, but I can tell my swim endurance has improved. I hope to drop another :30 /mile off my 5K time and I hope to go up to about 18 mph average on the bike by the end of the season.

2007-07-03 8:22 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I would say get a coach but I might be a bit bias (FYI - I also have a coach)

Unless you know what you are doing and know how much you can push yourself a coach might be a good idea in particular for an IM cuz IMO it will make the whole experience more enjoyable. you won’t have to worry about planning, organizing, testing, correcting, etc. you just get your plan based on YOUR specific needs and you do the work, hence it is great if you have time constraints (like we all do) This will also allow you to improve at a faster rate.

There are good generic IM plans online which had helped many to finish a race, and even though you’ll have to tweak it to accommodate your personal needs/goals it can be done. It really boils down to what you think it is important for you, your goals and priorities.

IF you go with the coach route, do some research, talk to athletes coached by the candidate, credentials are good but not necessary, experience is key and even when this might look like a jab to myself: just cuz someone is “fast” doesn’t mean they can coach. (I can of course )

There are good and bad coaches like in any profession but if you do your work you should be able to find one who suits you. Make sure he/she understands your goals and expectations to avoid misunderstandings. BTW personality is a big thing. For instance all the guys I train are people I get along with, we are or become friends and since I tend to be direct/sarcastic I want to make sure that won’t be an issue.

Finally, some coaches charge less but train more people and usually they don’t provide as a personal service; OTOH, usually those coaches charging a bit more do so cuz they limit the amount of athletes they coach so they can provide a better personal service and usually are available and flexible with your plan. I know good coaches following both approaches so one is not necessarily better than the other one, I just wanted to mention it just so you know.

Good luck!

2007-07-03 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I have had experience with self coaching, coaching, self and then coaching again.  I did my first HIM with the BT plan.  It worked great and I loved the structure.  Then I got lucky and a friend of mine just got his Level 1 certification and asked to coach me.  I said sure (the price was right!).

My training go so much more focused when I had a coach.  Especially with IM, it helps to have someone who is looking at the big picture constantly.  If left to my own devices, I would taper for a small race that he would have me do a 60 mile ride and tempo run before.  Why?  Because it's just a workout and not an "A" race.  Plus IM training is tough the last thing you will want to do is figure out your next workout.

After FL 70.3, I lost my coach (decided he wanted to travel) and I've kinda just been doing stuff.  I didn't realize how much I was getting out of a structured regiment.  I now have a coach again and can tell the difference in my training.  You will get some workouts that you could never have come up with on your own.  That's the cool part.

So, in short, I'm a fan of having a coach.

2007-07-03 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
does anyone have any experience with hiring a coach just to have them make your training plan for a HIM/IM?
2007-07-03 9:01 AM

Champion
No excuses!
I am not using a coach for my IM training this year and I think it shows. My workouts have been all over the board and it has been hindering my performance. My dilema is that I work for myself and with my family having a structured plan would never work out. Some days I have all day to train and others crap comes up and sneaking in a short run is all I can do.

I would be curious on Jorge's or any other coaches opinion on how they would handle a situation like mine because I am really thinking about getting a coach for next year. I just don't want a cookie cutter out of a book program that I could find on my own. I have talked with a couple of coaches and that was basically what they were willing to do for me.
2007-07-03 9:35 AM
in reply to: #870212

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Shermbelle - 2007-07-03 9:01 AM I am not using a coach for my IM training this year and I think it shows. My workouts have been all over the board and it has been hindering my performance. My dilema is that I work for myself and with my family having a structured plan would never work out. Some days I have all day to train and others crap comes up and sneaking in a short run is all I can do. I would be curious on Jorge's or any other coaches opinion on how they would handle a situation like mine because I am really thinking about getting a coach for next year. I just don't want a cookie cutter out of a book program that I could find on my own. I have talked with a couple of coaches and that was basically what they were willing to do for me.

What I do is to keep constant communication with my guys (email, msn, phone calls, logs, PM). I spend lost of time preparing each plan and it is hard to change it everyday hence if we communicate often we can sort of plan together in advance.

I try my best to accommodate any particular changes and modify the schedule when need it. I also set goals for the training cycle (i.e. improve running frequency/volume) and mark key workouts, hence the athlete knows what sessions not to miss even it if means to switch it around due to a hectic schedule and what sessions aren't as vital in the context of the training cycle. (i.e. if the focus of the cycle is running, then missing a swim won’t affect the plan as much)

That been said I keep them in the loop and point out when they are missing too many sessions (to keep’em real and avoid misunderstandings down the road such as - athlete:  “why I am not getting any faster”, me: “uummm well you haven’t train all week! )

Finally I try to develop certain routine so it becomes second nature for them to know what’s expected week after week (i.e. SWIM - Tue, Thur and Sat, RIDE - Mon, Wed, Sun, etc) although almost every session is different in terms of content/goal, the format is similar.

In summary every plan (depending whether they want the bi-weekly or monthly plan) I outline the cycle goals, focus and key sessions. Then every day I follow their logs to find out what they’ve completed and every week I request for them to send me their training files (if training with power meter, HRM, GPS, etc) that I keep on a training program and I encourage them to call/email me anytime they have a question.

I hope this helps...

2007-07-03 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Thank you for all the opinions everyone. I think next I will do some research into coaching in my area, and check out cost, etc, and then make my decision
2007-07-03 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
How do you go about finding a certified coach in your area?

2007-07-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: #870637

Master
portland, or
usatriathlon.org has a link to find USAT certified coaches. You can also ask at local tri/bike/running shops and clubs.

scott
2007-07-03 12:14 PM
in reply to: #870637

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

bar92 - 2007-07-03 11:58 AM How do you go about finding a certified coach in your area?

http://www.usatriathlon.org/Coaches/FindACoach.aspx

2007-07-03 12:17 PM
in reply to: #870294

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

kellc09 - 2007-07-03 9:41 AM Thank you for all the opinions everyone. I think next I will do some research into coaching in my area, and check out cost, etc, and then make my decision

another thing to keep in mind is that even though it might be an added bonus to have a coach in the same area is not vital or necessary.

I coach athletes (including BTers) from FL, NY, CT, NH, and even Canada & Mexico!!! Also my coach lives in Maine and I live in Massachusetts.

2007-07-03 12:22 PM
in reply to: #870675

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
amiine - 2007-07-03 12:17 PM

kellc09 - 2007-07-03 9:41 AM Thank you for all the opinions everyone. I think next I will do some research into coaching in my area, and check out cost, etc, and then make my decision

another thing to keep in mind is that even though it might be an added bonus to have a coach in the same area is not vital or necessary.

I coach athletes (including BTers) from FL, NY, CT, NH, and even Canada & Mexico!!! Also my coach lives in Maine and I live in Massachusetts.

Good point... Im wouldnt be against coaches out of area since im sure most will be done via computer and phone anyways! So i guess its just finding a good one in my price range
2007-07-03 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the link. I hadn't thought about having a coach out of my area, but good point. Right now I'm using a plan from BT for my HIM (along with some input from a run coach I know who has done an ironman), but if (ok, when) I decide to do an ironman, I think I would benefit from having a coach.

2007-07-04 1:42 PM
in reply to: #869904

User image

Veteran
Chilliwack B.C
Stupid question, what is IM KY?
2007-07-04 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
I am really happy with my decision to use a coach. I came to triathlon 3 seasons ago from a distance runner background. I started out self coaching but found that I kept trying to maintain my high mileage running while adding in swimming and cycling. I needed help finding the correct balance, training cycles, etc. My coach and her husband (both USAT certified) live about 50 min away from me. I can run, bike and swim with them. Plus they cover for each other on occasion and I get lots and lots of great tips from each of them (They are of the same philosophy so all jives well). This morning my coach was going to a race so I met her husband at the lake for an OW swim. We did sighting drills, etc... Super learning session for me!

Just my .02 Happy 4th!

Edited by Scout 2007-07-04 7:15 PM
2007-07-05 8:42 AM
in reply to: #872128

Champion
South Jersey

I would highly recommend a coach. But I just wanted to comment on everyone giving accountability as a reason to hire a coach. If you need to be "accountable" to someone other than yourself to stick to your training, especially when pursuing your first IM, then you are in this for the wrong reasons. And, accountability is certainly not a good enough reason to go out and spend $$ on a coach. But, I don't know that's just me. (And, I didn't say that to offend anyone by saying that.)

A coach will help you develop a training plan to achieve your goals based on your abilities, time available, adaption/response to previous workouts provided by the coach, etc., and will give you specific sessions to help improve your limiters. There are many things you can get from a coach that you can't get from a cookie-cutter training plan (or yourself for that matter).

But, you need to analyze what you want out of the experience and how a coach can help you, what you want from your coach, the type of relationship you hope to have with your coach (e.g., frequency of phone calls, emails), and how much you are able/willing to spend.  Coach hunting is not easy, so you need to go into it fully committed and aware of want you want. Good luck!

2007-07-05 9:17 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I'm in the 'have a coach and like it' camp.

The benefits I've received are similar to others that have posted. I was new to multisport with just a marathoning background and found it completely overwhelming trying to juggle 3 facets, strength training and different length tri and running races. I just didn't want to take the time to figure out how not to over/under work and improve in the areas I needed.

FWIW, my coach is not a rah-rah person. She writes my plan, but if I choose not to execute that's my prerogative. I don't expect my coach to hold me accountable or hold my hand through plan execution. I hold HER accountable to build a plan that suits me and my lifestyle.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach vs. no coach Rss Feed  

of 2