General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurox, Powerbar Recovery or Chocolate Milk? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-03 9:45 AM

User image

Crawford, Texas
Subject: Endurox, Powerbar Recovery or Chocolate Milk?
With all the talk about post-workout nutrition and the numerous products for recovery, has anyone tried Endurox, Powerbar Recovery or chocolate milk.

Endurox claims that 4:1 ratio is the best and Powerbar Recovery claims 7:1 ratio is the best. The chocolate milk I have been using is 4:1 but has no amino acids but I do take amino acid supplements. Plus chocolate milk is much cheaper than either of the others. Endurox is the most expensive followed by Powerbar.

Has anyone tried either one or maybe all? Is chocolate milk with amino acid supplement good enough for recovery or should I use something else?

2007-07-03 9:50 AM
in reply to: #870308

User image

Master
New York
Subject: RE: Endurox, Powerbar Recovery or Chocolate Milk?
I've used all 3...and have never experienced a noticeable difference that would cause me to buy anything but chocolate milk. $3/gallon is tough to beat...vs. $20/gallon.
2007-07-03 10:01 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Any recovery drink will claim that their product is best and their carb to protein ratio is optimal and blah blah blah. Still Carbs are king for fueling and recovery, hence shoot for 1.0-1.2 of grams per kilogram of body weight per hour and continue to eat for the next couple of hours every 30 min. Yes you need protein to enhance recovery but there isn't any specific ratio that will work, plus you also need fat anyway, hence there is nothing better than a balanced diet with REAL food.

You can try the chocolate milk, bowl of cereal and milk, or just eat a real meal. That been said; recovery drinks are a good alternative when you are on the road and eating real food might be difficult, in that case pick the one you like.

2007-07-03 10:25 AM

User image

Westminster, CO
I'm just now getting to the bottom of my first PB Recovery (orange).  I must say, its quite tasty!!  I'll likely go to choc milk after this though.  I can't make any statement with respect to the effectiveness of the product - just haven't noticed difference from past products (clif shot, gaterade, meals)
2007-07-03 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
When I was weight lifting, I used Endurox and loved it. I can't explain it, but it did help with recovery and soreness. I think I could feel an immediate effect, though it may have just been in my head.

With endurance work, I didn't have the same feeling. I am using choc milk right now, and feel no benefits. I'll probably go back to Endurox as my training increases again (2 hrs or more)

I haven't used any others so can't comment on them.
2007-07-03 10:46 AM

User image

Runner

Different things work differently for different people.

For the great majority of us, you'll likely not notice a huge difference in recovery between usage of the three.

Me, I generally just eat breakfast or lunch after I'm finished.  Drinks work for those who can't eat after a workout.

Keep in mind that it should be done within 45 minutes of finishing, or you're not going to see any real benefit regardless. 

2007-07-03 11:44 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
I use chocolate milk after D3 Coach Amy suggested it. I love it since it's quick, easy, and tastes good. So far I haven't found another recovery drink that tastes as good.
2007-07-03 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids MI
I use Endurox regularly - and I can definitely tell the difference when I don't - however, I have used chocolate milk and it seem to do the trick also - but I'm not a big fan of chocolate (yeh I know - how can you not like chocolate? )

2007-07-03 12:30 PM

User image

New user
I am an Endurox and Choco user. I will also mention Endurox is wonderful after lifting, and I definitly see more benefit from it after my track work. When I use the choco (probably too much), it's with a meal, and I think this is probably the best for post-long run/bike recovery. In my opinion, the long run/bike is worthless, if it is merely followed by a recovery drink. I mean come on, you should be hungry after that workout anyway.
2007-07-03 12:31 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
I'm all about the chocolate milk.

It tastes good.

It's cheap and plentiful.

And, it appears to be supported by clinical evidence.

Title: Chocolate Milk as a Post-Exercise Recovery Aid.
Author(s): Karp, Jason R.; Johnston, Jeanne D.; Tecklenburg, Sandra; Mickleborough, Timothy D.; Fly, Alyce D.; Stager, Joel M.
Source: International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism Feb2006, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p78 14p.
Keyword(s): glycogen resynthesis; endurance performance; nutrition; sports drink
Abstract: Nine male, endurance-trained cyclists performed an interval workout followed by 4 h of recovery, and a subsequent endurance trial to exhaustion at 70% VO2max, on three separate days. Immediately following the first exercise bout and 2 h of recovery, subjects drank isovolumic amounts of chocolate milk, fluid replacement drink (FR), or carbohydrate replacement drink (CR), in a single-blind, randomized design. Carbohydrate content was equivalent for chocolate milk and CR. Time to exhaustion (TTE), average heart rate (HR), rating of perceived exertion (RPE), and total work (WT) for the endurance exercise were compared between trials. TTE and WT were significantly greater for chocolate milk and FR trials compared to CR trial. The results of this study suggest that chocolate milk is an effective recovery aid between two exhausting exercise bouts.

Title: CHOCOLATE MILK WHIPS ENDUROX IN RECENT RECOVERY TEST.
Author(s): Anderson, Owen
Source: Running Research News Sept 2006: Vol. 22 Issue 7. p. 1;6-9 5p.
Abstract: Research has shown that chocolate milk far surpasses most post-exercise drinks when it comes to recovery for athletes. This is due to the ratio of carbohydrate to protein that enables more glycogen synthesis to occur.

Title: CHUG CHOCOLATE MILK AND GROW BIGGER.
Source: Men's Fitness Apr2007, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p22 1p.
Abstract: The article presents information on the results of a study published in the "International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism" concerning the nutrients contained in sports drinks and chocolate milk. Findings indicated that milk drinkers can work out just as long as men who prefer sports drinks.

Title: ThisAnd the winner is…chocolate milk!
Source: Active Living Jan2007, Vol. 16 Issue 1, pN12 1p.
Abstract: The article reports on the benefits of chocolate milk in improving the recovery from strenuous exercise better than other replacement drink, according to a randomized trial published in the "International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism." The content of chocolate milk that helps in muscle recovery is discussed.
2007-07-03 12:45 PM
in reply to: #870706

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Miler - 2007-07-03 12:30 PM I am an Endurox and Choco user. I will also mention Endurox is wonderful after lifting, and I definitly see more benefit from it after my track work. When I use the choco (probably too much), it's with a meal, and I think this is probably the best for post-long run/bike recovery. In my opinion, the long run/bike is worthless, if it is merely followed by a recovery drink. I mean come on, you should be hungry after that workout anyway.
Actually if you did a good job nutrition wise you shouldn't be starving and ready to eat a cow (garden for the veggies) right after you are done. you should be fine within 30 min after finishing your session so you can just drink some sports drink (for the some carbs/re-hydration) while stretching. Then you eat, otherwise you are not fueling properly before and while exercising.

2007-07-03 12:55 PM

User image

New user
Even after fueling on a bike ride or long run, I still eat a balanced meal. Gel's are not made to completely replenish the body of all nutrients. For me, it's best if I eat a meal within an hour of a long aerobic workout. But if you're keen on eating gels, woo hoo, no problems for you.
2007-07-03 1:05 PM
in reply to: #870784

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Miler - 2007-07-03 12:55 PM Even after fueling on a bike ride or long run, I still eat a balanced meal. Gel's are not made to completely replenish the body of all nutrients. For me, it's best if I eat a meal within an hour of a long aerobic workout. But if you're keen on eating gels, woo hoo, no problems for you.
You missed the point. What I meant was that IF you do a good job fueling during your training sessions (including long rides/runs) you should NOT be starving when you finish. Yes you should hydrate while cooling down/stretching and be ready to eat a balanced meal within 30-45 min and repeat for the next 2 hrs every 30 min; but if you are starving right after your session is over you will be just adding unnecessary time to your recovery process...
2007-07-03 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Milk isn't always a good choice for some - allergies, diet etc.

I've found choco soy milk to be less "clatty" and goes down real smooth and has most of the same stuff in milk without it being milk.  

2007-07-04 4:06 AM

User image

Master
When I found out that chocolate milk was an effective recovery drink which could be added to my routine EVERY DAY, I felt like...a kid! Can't beat the price.
2007-07-04 5:04 AM

New user

Virginia
I didn't like the taste of Endurox, so have a mostly-full tub of the stuff sitting around. Chocolate milk has worked very well for me. I also use Pro-Boom recovery gels at times when I can't bring choc. milk with me (eg. marathon gear bag). They have been amazingly beneficial!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurox, Powerbar Recovery or Chocolate Milk? Rss Feed