2007-07-03 12:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-07-03 12:33 PM
in reply to: #870702

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Knee scope

I had mine done 17 years ago so not a very good reference point since the surgery is so much better today I have heard.  I was off mine knee for about a month way back when but today I believe the recovery is pretty quick if you are just dealing with cartlage.

Hope all goes well.

2007-07-03 1:24 PM

Expert
Parker, Co
Depends on what you are having scoped - I had some tissue removed that was rubbing on the knee cap causing pain when I ran - 3 little holes and 45 mins later - no more problem - recovery was 1 day on crutches and a couple weeks of light rehab and I have suffered no pain since.

Make sure they clearly mark which knee it is too!
2007-07-03 3:04 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
courtney_leone - 2007-07-03 11:30 AM

I'm having it done on the 10th...I hoping others have had it done as well.

How was it? What about pain, RECOVERY??!

Thanks

Pending.  Scope + IT Band Release that's been rolexed since May and will probably be in early September now.

My understanding of the scope is that it entirely depends on the severity of the conditions they are scoping for.  If you have a crap-ton of damage, it's going to hurt more.  If, like me, they are just looking around for something the MRI missed and maybe fixing a small small possible meniscus tear...not supposed to be so bad.

SO...your pain/recovery depends on how much damage they find in there and what the damage consists of...

2007-07-04 7:58 PM
in reply to: #871072

New user

Depends on what you're having done. I had an ACL reconstruction a couple of years ago, and the recovery sucked! Its the main reason I'm training to do a triathlon now, to lose all the weight I gained after the knee surgery. My knee still grinds and pops and sounds like a teenager learning to drive a manual transmission for the first time. It doesn't hurt, and works just fine, just makes a ton of noise. By far the first few months of recovery were the worst. I couldn't even swim, because my knee was just too unstable. I was on crutches for about six weeks, followed by a full length metal leg brace hinged at the knee for about a month. Even after I got out of the brace, going down stairs was painful and difficult. Going up stairs was fine, but going down them was a different story.

However, despite my tale of woe, if you're simply having some inflamed tissue removed, its very simple and straightforward. A friend of mine had it done, and it was only like a 45 minute operation. He wore a small knee brace for a few days, and did a couple of weeks of physical therapy stuff, and never missed a beat. He was actually mountain biking without any problems the week after the surgery. If you're training for a triathlon now, it will probably slow down your training by a couple of weeks, but you should recover very quickly.
2007-07-04 9:51 PM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I had mine scoped in October. 10/17 to be exact... Had several loose pieces of bone removed, a bunch of cartilage shaved off and a lateral release to help the knee cap track better. I was walking almost normally by about 3 weeks... And I ran a 5K on Thanksgiving Day much to the CHAGRIN of my Doctor and Physical Therapist. No running after that until January. I should not have run that 5K... but I felt alright and figured why not??!?!

When I saw you in April, I was still working on hardening the knee for running... So that's why I did the Aquabike @ Lonestar.

Ran 10 miles today, my longest run since surgery. Will run 13.1 in my HIM which is scheduled for 7/22.

I had to have PATIENCE.... which I don't have much of, quite honestly. I am quite afraid of reinjuring my knee and that's the last thing I want to have happen. I'm a huge WUSS when it comes to recovery. I hate being in pain and I hate surgery in general. So patience it was. And still is.

I swam my A$$ off, though. Take a look through my logs... I swam something like 40K in November/December each. YEOW!

You'll be fine. What did you do to yourself????!!!

2007-07-05 12:14 AM

Regular
North Plains, Oregon
Mine is probably not the norm. Had a piece of medial meniscus removed in March of 2006. Surgery was at 1:30. My son had me home before 4. Didn't use my Vicodin or even any pain meds. This was a Wed. By Sat I drove myself to the mall and walked around. No stitches. Was cleared to swim when the incisions healed. Which was about 2 weeks. Also in 2 weeks was cleared to go to spin class, but not come out of the saddle. In 6 weeks cleared to run and told to let pain be my guide. Also did a 65 mile ride that week. Ran only on a very soft track or trails. By August ran 18 miles in a relay race.

Was real aggressive with rehab/physical therapy for three weeks, and then did it on my own.
2007-07-05 6:48 AM

Master
Canandaigua

Had my left knee scoped for a meniscus tear.  The surgeon (Dr. Grimm) took out one new bucket tear amd an old one.  That was in 2004.  I had some pain.  Vicoden, ice and elevation took care of it.  He said he had to take a lot out and it would hurt for a while.  Took about 2 month to walk around correctly without crutches.  REST, ICE and ELEVATION is the key.  I hadn't really run much before that and started running without trouble in about 9 months.  Mainly I hated to run and didn't need to until then.  Bike and swim are good rehab tools.

I really want the right one cleaned up now. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee scope Rss Feed