Multisport Canada
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 55m 38s
Overall Rank = 62/142
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/17
Event warmup:

Despite getting to the race site with plenty of time spare, I didn't really have time for a warmup other than a quick jog. A pre-race meeting was called 30 minutes before the race start and it cut away any spare time I had to get a short bike or swim in. I did manage to get into the water for a minute or two though just to get aclimitized to the water temperature.
Swim
  • 19m 24s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

This race was started in a time trial format which means that athletes were lined up and started every 5 seconds - kind of neat. I like this format as it makes the swim start much less congested and therefore more relaxed.
What would you do differently?:

I think I was too relaxed because my swim pace was slower than my previous race. The net result is that I was about 3 minutes slower than I should have been. Next time, when gun goes, I go!
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s

I really should have gone to pee before the race start. I was contemplating holding it in for the whole race but thought that it could get a lot worse quickly and that it might be better to loose a bit of time now rather than having to stop on the bike course and find a tree or bush. I had one of those Austin Powers pees that just kept going and going. I think I lost at least a full minute and a half in the port-a-john. I know, I know...too much info.

Other than that, T1 was pretty smooth.
Bike
  • 52m 28s
  • 30 kms
  • 34.31 km/hr
Comments:

I think I paced myself quite well on the bike. I did get passed a couple of times but for the most part I ended up repassing those same people later in the course.

I could have done even better on the bike if I could shift into my big chainring!!! Rats!
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Run
  • 39m 50s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 05m 19s  min/km
Comments:

Awesome run! Not sure what happened but with about 3.5KM to go it was like someone lit a fire on my heels. All of a sudden, I got a boost of energy and really started moving. I wish I had time splits at each KM because I'm sure that the second hald of the run was much much faster.

As I was approaching the finish line I felt like I was getting faster still and part of me wished that the course was another 2.5KM longer.

I wonder if it was the Gu Expresso Love gell I took in halfway through the run? Whatever it was, I crossed the line with a huge smile on my face.

Up until now I always ended the run by counting the last couple of KM just waiting for them to tick by. Not this time. That feeling of energy; of power; that desire to explode was something that I haven't experienced yet and I loved it!

Give 'er even earlier.
Post race
Event comments:

This was a fantastic race. I had a good amount of rest going into the race and changed my nutrition slightly. I'm not sure what made the difference. Could have been either one or both of those variables.

My times may not be great; in fact, I'm just a MOPer but that feeling that I had during the race and especially during run was absolutely incredible and it is what made the event for me.

I can't wait to have that feeling again!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:24 | 750 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 88/142
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nineteen Riptide Full Suit
Course: Rectangular course along the Welland Recreational Waterway (part of the canal I think)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:28 | 30 kms | 34.31 km/hr
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 38/142
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back course that was flat as a pancake, hence the high average pace. Could have been higher yet if there was no headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:50 | 07.5 kms | 05m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 76/142
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back run on a flat course around the swim course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-03 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: Welland Triathlon

2007-07-03 4:43 PM
in reply to: #871126

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Subject: RE: Welland Triathlon

Congrats on a job well done!

2007-07-04 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Caius,

Great race!  Those were fast times for the bike and run.  It must have felt good to have that much energy on the run.  It makes such a difference when you feel like you're racing and not just trying to survive.  It sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Ernie

2007-07-07 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
congrats on a great race! welland seems like a fun place to race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Welland Triathlon Rss Feed