Sun Sport Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 41m 44s
Overall Rank = 402/490
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 49/50
Pre-race routine:

went to expo and registration the afternoon before. saw kathy g, emilyg and pjostack at the reg. site. pretty cool to see them as they really jazzed up the afternoon with their energy. attended an informative informal class given a professional tri trainer. good info. Then drove the race courses with isis. Good to get a feel for the course. No surprise hills or bad roads. Conditions looked good. Only change was the addition of 2-3 miles extra due to road construction. Kind of a 'shocker' to know that the course will go from 56 to 60 miles of biking. ah well..tis a day for purely enjoying the race and doing what can be done.
Race morning brought the usual tried and true oatmeal and juice b-fast. arrive at venue early enough not to cause stress. Set up was a breeze thanks to jorge and his fantastic organization skills!!

Met up with isis, tagp, csimpkins, jpcan plus the great BT gang spectating (thank you kathyg, emilyg, dz, Dk, patty, )
Event warmup:

no real warm up per se. lol..I dont usually warm up anyway but on long course triathlon a warmup (for me) wont help) Mostly just reviewed the entry and exit for s/b/r as well a visualized a positive swim.
Swim
  • 43m 54s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

The overall goal of the swim was to find my pace early and 'get er done'. Start at the back of the pack and swim my own race. Seeing as how this is the first time this year for swimming over a mile and only the 2nd wave start, I didnt want ANY negative thoughts or experiences. And ssssooo it was! No goggle issues either. Just kept the strokes going and easy breathing rythm plus keeping an eye on the markers. No problems rounding the corners. Got swam over by a few swimmers but also passed a few blokes.

I was able to exit the swim feeling good and not tired or exhausted.

lake was clear and no weeds or looming bottom conditions like cranberry country.
What would you do differently?:

well, besides spending hours in the pool,hundreds on a coach...I was pretty satisfied with the swim. The time was right at where I usually am for the distance.
Transition 1
  • 07m 11s
Comments:

Took too much time in transition. Should have moved a bit quicker. Mostly walked the route to transition. I had the energy but I think I was trying to NOT get ahead of myself and blow up. Maybe under performed here. Changing was methodical and I am glad I remembered to grab all my stuff.

jog thru transition,move along a little faster.

actually an average transition for me.
Bike
  • 3h 24m 27s
  • 60 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I was looking forward to the bike since I gotten my lightspeed tuned up and ready. New chain, dura-ace cogset, tires and tube plus adjustments to shifting were definitely in order. The previous races and rides had been discouraging due to chattering gears changes and small cog set. This was to be the inaugural ride--a bit of trepidation but had to have faith in bike shop and tire changing girl.;)
The ride went well. pacing and nutrition were the key for me. Both went just right. Overall ave. speed was 18.5 on bike computer. I'm cool with that. I purposely held back a bit on the bike in order to have something left for the run. This was my 4th 1/2 IM...I'm a slooow learner!! The previous FIRMAN races were real drags after the bike.

Jog thru the exits and entrances. Not stop 3 times to take a leak. Not worn a fanny pack to carry my extra bike emergency stuff. I need to get a better set up for carrying this stuff. The belt from the pack was hell around my belly and probably contributed to having to pee often. 'No room at the inn' for the liquids.
Transition 2
  • 06m 22s
Comments:

Once again, could have moved more efficiently and effectively. All my stuff was ready and I didnt really daudle but I could have moved swifter. Made a pit stop and popped over to see the BT gang for some BT love!!!
Run
  • 2h 19m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Kept on the pacing and nutrition goal. each water stop I grabbed something. Sometimes water over the head to keep cool, sometimes coke, sometimes some food. I did bring my fuel belt, however for this race I didnt really need it. (I do recommend it for races though. I have had some crappy experiences with poor to non existent water stops and my own needs)
My pace goal was 10 min miles and then see what I had left towards the end. I was only 10 min. over that and mostly that was the initial bathroom break and social interaction plus some of the walking pace as well.

Loooong chute to the finish. Very well attended by spectators and of course a GREAT BT crew!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall, I did feel good and solid for the run. Nice consistent pace passed a few folks. No where near the amount of walking or feeling crappy like firmman or at cranberry last year.

Not much. Maybe a bit faster pace. That would have to come with higher training levels and I jsut cant do that right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a quick drink and cold sponge and headed over to the BT Jocks for some jazz!! Got to see isis come streaming thru the finish with a BRIGHT smile, high fiving everyone and generally kicking azz!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Own self limiting mindset to hold back and create a positive race for myself. The last few years of FIRM 1/2 IM have held some....self imposed 'issues'. I wanted this race to be fun, stress free and a testament to the positve life choices I am making about myself and about training. I wanted to feel good after the race as well as I did the day of the race. Goal accomplished. Speed is not my card for long races.

Event comments:

The gang that runs cranberry ran this race as well. They did a FANTASTIC job on all aspects of the race. The post race events were stellar as well. Cranberry's food spread is good for a BBQ setting, however this race was catered! with plenty of chow. The band played on and on as well!!

The only minor issue was post race security in the bike corral. I really dont like to think that someone could walk off with someone's bike, in this race no one was checking people as they came and went after the race.

Last updated: 2007-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:54 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 455/490
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: square shape course. well marked. 3 buoys out straight, 3 across top and 3 back. keep them on the laft. Lake was a bit choppy for fresh water. wind was coming in towards shore. Fight it going out and then 'surf' in! Sure looked uphill!!!! Kinda funny looking out onto the swim buoys and thinking....'that is waaaaaay out there' and then get it done.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:11
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:24:27 | 60 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Overall: 381/490
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: double loop course thru rural sections of freeetown, lakeville, rochester,et al. very scenic and safe. some rollers. extra 3-4 miles due to road construction. Road condition were good to very good.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:19:52 | 13.1 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 400/490
Course: single loop course routed nicely thru neighborhoods and rural areas. VERY well stocked mile rest stops. All miles were marked clearly (although, the were some markes crossed out that added a little to confusion. not a major issue) Some minor rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-03 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: Patriot Half Iron

2007-07-03 7:22 PM
in reply to: #871191

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron

it's so funny to see how lay back you were at the transition, and yet you got good results! 

Great job.  And nice seeing you there

2007-07-03 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome JOb Glen..I'm glad you had a great time..thats what it is all about
2007-07-04 7:28 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

nice race Glen, glad you had a nice day out there 

2007-07-04 8:02 AM
in reply to: #871639

Champion
South Jersey

Great job. It looks like you were happy with your execution of the swim/bike/run, and it you had a lot of fun. Awesome! Yeah, in the future you may just want to lose the fanny pack on the bike. You should look into a bento box. I have the large one and can manage 1 - 2 bars, some fig newtons, and 4-5 gels in there. And, it's not big at all.

Glad you had a great day and liked the race. Enjoy the rest of your season.

2007-07-04 1:41 PM

User image

Master
CT
great job glen! sounds like you managed your race really well and had a good time for yourself! congrats!

2007-07-04 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Race Glen!

You had a great attitude about the race and I could tell you were having fun and that is why we do this, right?

Glad everything went smooth and your bike pacing paid off well in your run pace.

Excellant race and great to see you multiple times throughout the day! 

2007-07-04 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
This is what it's all about.  You're awesome man.  Keep up that positive attitude!
2007-07-04 10:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

You looked good out there Glen. I'm glad you had a postive race experience.

2007-07-05 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Yay Glen! Thanks for the hug, I wasn't expecting that with me dripping wet. You were just amazing before, during and after the race. Way to make the best of a great day!
2007-07-05 9:44 AM

Expert

Great job Glen...Good seeing you and Jo briefly in transition.

I think we had a pretty similar race plan of just enjoying the day.  I am glad iy was such a positive experience for you and you put together just a great race.

Mark

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron Rss Feed