View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lubbock, Texas
United States
Total Time = 1h 40m 1s
Overall Rank = 99/182
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Raegan and I woke up, ate, and drove to Lubbock from Plainview (a 1 hr. drive). Had a half a bagel with peanut butter and half of a banana with a cup of gatorade for breakfast.

We usually have pasta the night before a race, but didn't because we were visiting family and couldn't really dictate our dinner meal. So instead, we had a prerace meal of porkchops, mash potatoes, and rolls. Yummy- but maybe not the best prerace meal.

Event warmup:

After getting transition all set up, Raegan and I went for a short run warmup, then wiggled into my wetsuit. Took a little dip in the water before the prerace meeting started. I thought it felt pretty nice.
Swim
  • 09m 52s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty good run in from the beach. Three of us all swam into each other and formed a pile, but we got seperated and no real issues with other swimmers after that. My HR was higher than normal for an OWS, so I actually had to tread for a couple of seconds every now and then to get a few more breaths, since I was going pretty hard.

I was a little surprised that half of the women didn't seem to have on wetsuits! The water temp. realy wasn't all that cold, but I figure, if it's legal, I'm wearing one! I always swim faster with one on. Speaking of which, either I really was swimming hard and having my fastest swim EVER, or the course was measured wrong. I have a feeling the course was on the short side, but I'll just pretend that it's because I have gotten that much faster! :)

Exiting the water, there is a line of volunteers to help you out and get your wetsuit unzipped. As they were unzipping my wetsuit, I noticed that over to the side in the water were two teenager volunteers stripping people out of the wetsuits. I don't think a whole lot of people realized that they were there. I went over plopped down in the water and within seconds had my wetsuit in my arms and was off.
What would you do differently?:

Stay on course a little better! I kept veering to the right and would then have to correct myself. I'm sure I must have tag on some additional meters.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Best T1 time in my AG- thanks to the wetsuit strippers! It was a longish run to and out from my bike rack.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 56m 45s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 18.61 mile/hr
Comments:

The first two climbs were long and steep, but not too bad. I stayed seated for every climb. I probably could have stood up and gone up a little faster, but I really didn't want to use up all of my energy at the very beginning. The first descent at the start was nice! I didn't feel too nervous going down that one fast. The descents on the way back to transition I had to feather my brakes several times to control my speed, because that was a little scary how fast you could get going. I like speed, but not on a steep hill!

After the turn around I noticed a scraping kind of sound coming from my back tire. It was very distracting and I started worrying about it. It sounded a little like my brake was rubbing against my rim. I ended up pulling over to the side and getting off my bike to take a look. I adjusted my brake a little, but that didn't really help because when I got going again, it was still making that noise. I just kept going after that, since there wasn't much else I could do.

Really inspect my bike well before a race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

3/7 for my AG.

It was a long run from the dismount line and it was very narrow. A guy and I got stuck behind a slow person heading back to his rack. I finally yelled for him to speed it up, and the guy in front told him to move to his right. We were then able to get by.

Not get behind a slow transition person! :) Just kidding!
Run
  • 29m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

What an awful run! I completely lost it "mentally" on the run! I started off all right, but shortly into it, I had to walk. I had been battling heartburn all of the bike leg, so my stomach just started feeling yucky too. I think I must have walked at least half of the total run. I would run for awhile, then walk, run, then walk. I didn't take any Gu like I should and normally do, because my stomach was feeling off. Mentally I just gave up! I remember thinking- "I don't care if that girl, who just past me, is in my age group. She can have it!" Also, "I don't deserve to place if I'm having to walk this much!" Towards the end I started to feel a little more together, so I was able to have a decent finish.

For all that I went through on the run, I was extremely surprised that I even averaged less than a 10 minute mile.

I'm not sure what got to me- the heat, my heartburn, dehydration, elevation, etc... It was probably a combination of all of those.

Next time I will definitely take some heartburn medicine before the race. :)

Also, I need to practice chanting some motovating mantras in my head to get me through mentally when things aren't going well!
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Raegan, our boys, and members of Raegan's family. Hiked up the hill with all of our gear to put in our car so that we could go back down and swim with the kiddos and other family members.

Found out that I did get third in my age group, so I started to hunt for where they were doing the awards. I couldn't find it and no volunteers could point me in the right direction. After seeing some people I knew (they were hunting for it too), we eventually found it. I got up there and they were calling out a lady's name, but I didn't know what age group they were on. I was just about to ask when they called out my name. Perfect timing! I got my picture frame award, then headed off to swim with my family. Getting in the lake again felt pretty refreshing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mental state on the run! :)

Event comments:

Overall- a good race! It's a fun race and the location is great to hangout with kids afterwards!

Last updated: 2007-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:52 | 500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 0/182
Performance:
Avg HR= 172 (this also included my T1 HR averaged in)
Suit:
Course: Beach start and swim around a pennisula.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:45 | 17.6 miles | 18.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Performance:
AvgHR= 185/ Max HR= 196
Wind:
Course: A couple of steep hills out of a canyon, right at the start of the bike course,then flat, and another steep ascent at the end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:44 | 03.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Performance: Bad
Avg HR= 182/ Max HR= 188
Course: Rolling hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-04 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Tri-Raider

2007-07-04 6:41 PM
in reply to: #872045

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Subject: RE: Tri-Raider
Awesome job Sue! A few minor setbacks and still some hardware...can't beat that! Just think what you could have done with some pasta the night before
2007-07-05 7:44 AM
in reply to: #872045

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Tri-Raider
Great job S.S.!! You would have been kicking some serious tail with out the setbacks. This placing in your AG thing is becoming a regular occurance. Note to self, no porkchops the night before a race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Raider Rss Feed