United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 34m 8s
Overall Rank = ??/
Age Group = Under 10
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was thinking about stretching and I was a little nervous. My Dad made sure I was dressed and ready and drove me and my brothers and Mom and Auntie to the park.
Event warmup:

Before the race we got to do stretching with one of the Ravens Cheerleaders. I kept going the wrong way when she said to go a certain direction. My Mom and Dad kept laughing and telling me to go the other way!
Run
  • 34m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

(As dictated to me by my 7 year old son Brendan to describe his race - with added commentary by me).

My Dad wanted me to start more towards the back so I would be out of the way of the faster runners and not get trampled. They kept saying "Ready" but not starting us. Finally they said "Go" and we were off!

The first part was downhill and I wanted to run fast to catch up with everybody. But my side started hurting so I needed to slow down. My Dad kept telling me to go slower and pace myself. I kept wanting to keep up with everyone that passed and kept looking behind me to see if anyone else was coming up. Daddy kept telling me to watch where I was running and not worry about everyone else. I was swerving all over the path.

I started sweating a lot and getting thirsty. Dad said there was a water stop coming up and that we would take a short walk break as we drank. I liked that and we drank some as we walked. Then we started running again.

I was getting tired and said that my legs were hurting but I didn't stop running. We ran accross a pretty cool bridge that went over part of the lake, then we went up a big hill that went on for a long time but I kept running!

After the hill there was a nice downhill and we kept running along even though I was tired. It was really hard work to run this far! I had run farther in my Race For Education, but we had more walk breaks and rest stops and it was an hour to do it.

Finally Dad said we were getting near the finish and kept telling me "We're almost there! We're almost there!" So I kept on running. The finish was at the top of another hill and I sprinted to the finish line! Everyone was cheering just for me as I finished and that made me feel really happy. I did it!!
What would you do differently?:

Listen more to Daddy as he gave me advice. Train more so I can do better.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate an apple and an energy bar and drank a lot of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs were tired and my side hurt in the beginning.

Event comments:

It was a great race. I will maybe race in another 5k soon and then I will send out another race report telling about that day!

Last updated: 2007-07-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:08 | 03.11 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Loop around Centennial Park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-04 6:14 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: Tinina Q. Cade Foundation 5k

2007-07-04 10:08 PM
in reply to: #872088

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Tinina Q. Cade Foundation 5k

Hey Rick,

Tell your son congratulations!  I envy you that you got to run with your son.  That must have been an awesome experience. 

Ernie

2007-07-30 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
What  a little stud!
2007-07-30 9:20 PM

Champion

Tell your son he did an awesome job.  I would have been almost on my limit keeping up to him.  What a great Dad he's got too!! 

2007-07-30 9:31 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Wow your son did great! Congratulations
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tinina Q. Cade Foundation 5k Rss Feed