General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill = Shin Splints Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-21 1:34 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Treadmill = Shin Splints
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having.

When I run on a treadmill I start to get shin splint pain in both of my legs. :-(
When I run on an outdoor track, trails, cement, hardwood, or anything else besides the treadmill I don't get this pain. I don't think I change my style of running when I get on a treadmill. I don't usally increase the incline on the treadmill. I love to run indoors. But, why would I get shin splints from the treadmill? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Its a bit cold outside to run, I don't really like the cold, so that's why I would like to know if there is something I could do to prevent this.

2004-01-21 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4518

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Subject: RE: Treadmill = Shin Splints
Same thing happens to me. Anyone know why? Everything I've been able to find just says that shin splints mean too much, too fast. But why on treadmill and not outside?
2004-01-22 7:42 AM

New user

Browns Point, WA
I find that the same thing also happens to me, even if I am walking on the treadmill. I also find that my knee is a bit more sore than usual. What I have noticed with myself is that I tend to roll my foot more because of the constant motion of the treadmill, I also find myself hyper-extending my knees. I have tried to be more mindful of this when running on the treadmill. As a new runner I have decided that I want enjoyable experiences, so personally I have just started bundling up and heading outside. Another option is to find an indoor track or a slightly sheltered outdoor track (like a high school stadium). Good luck!
2004-01-22 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4579

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
http://en.fitness.com/fitness_exercise/v1005498321.php

Links to discussion of this. Noone addresses why treadmill and not road, but they reccomend some stretches etc.
2004-01-22 4:29 PM

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
I have helped someone else out with this one. I have had a bit to do with shin splints. You are right - too much too quick. Also you need to look at your shoes. Running on the tread mill is fine, however depending on the incline you need to be more specific with your stretching. One reason it is different to running outside is that the tread mill is a "constant", unlike outside which is almost, depending on the terrain, a "constant variant". People become more complaisant with their stretching for tread mill running, as it is easier to run, and you control the enviroment, thus being more muscle specific. As I said I have posted this before but it may be some help

1. Shin Splint Syndrome. The term "shin splints" is a lay term that refers to any lower leg pain resulting from a running activity. It is a non-specific term - avoid using it. A physician should make a specific diagnosis, however many physicians only refer to this type of problem as shin splint syndrome. Shin splint syndrome can involve one or all of the following:

a. Pain and tenderness along the inside of the tibia - most common area.

b. Pain and tenderness directly on the tibia.

c. Pain and tenderness on the front inside of the tibia.

d. Pain in the lateral compartment of the leg.

e. Pain and tenderness directly on the fibula.

f. Pain on the back of the lower leg.

g. Problems not associated with any of the above.

2. Once the physician has made an attempt to diagnose, treat symptoms and positive restrictions, the individual should then return to the trainer for an exercise program to fit the restriction. Problems involving the shin have a tendency to re-occur often and become a nuisance. The individual may feel either sharp or dull pain in the already mentioned areas. As the individual becomes better conditioned, the problem usually resolves itself.

3. Stress Reactions (Fractures). The term "fracture" means a separation of the bone. This however, is rarely seen in the stress-related injury. The process is initiated when the body is subjected to either low repetitions of high loads or high repetitions of relatively normal loads (load is defined as the amount of force applied to an object. Muscle failure appears to be the chief initiator in the stress reaction process. Strenuous exercises produce muscular fatigue, which in turn, results in either an altered gait or loss of energy storage capacity in the muscle or bone. All of this leads to abnormal loading of the bone, which causes an altered stress distribution within the bone. The stress overload triggers negative bone remodelling. If the individual continues the activity without allowing proper remodelling process to occur, micro fractures may convert to larger fractures.

4. Signs and Symptoms. The individual usually complaints of a vague onset of pain, unrelated to a specific incident or event. Normally there is a slow but gradual progression of symptoms. Initially, pain occurs after activity and is often described as an ache or stiffness but resolves with rest. With continued activity, pain occurs during and after activity but is usually not present at night. Ultimately the individual will complain of pain with all activity, at rest and at night.

MECHANISM OF INJURY VS INTRINSIC RISK FACTORS

1. Equipment. It is likely that wearing the appropriate footwear for specific activities can influence rates of injury.

2. Training Surface. Much mythology also exits regarding the best type of surfaces on which to train. Roads have been greatly maligned in the literature largely because of their hardness, whereas trails, tracks, and grass have been touted as nearly ideal running surfaces. The rough and unpredictable surfaces of the trails and grass also expose the runner to the threat of sudden traumatic injuries, such as ankle sprains. They also increase bio-mechanical stress and strain due to compensatory postural adaptations to uneven surfaces, which may also cause over-use injuries. Roads, which provide a level and predictable training surface, may not be the hazard to runners which they have been portrayed to be, especially if shock absorbent footwear is worn.

3. Physical Fitness. Physical fitness is probably an important factor in the causation or prevention of injury. However, what is important may not be just endurance conditioning, but also muscle strength and skeletal conditioning.

4. Body Composition. Obesity has also been speculated to contribute to the risk of injury secondary to weight-bearing physical training. Evidence suggests an association between increasing incidence of injury and increasing "fatness". It should be kept in mind that a very small number of individuals are very obese in this population. However, if poor fitness and over fatness are combined, this may increase injury incidence.

5. Age. Increasing age is usually considered a risk factor for injury. However, at running marathons older individuals at finish line medical areas actually have lower rates of injury. It is not clear how to explain these data except to say that older individuals in running marathons run slower and are more likely to drop out, suggesting that perhaps they modify their risk by judicious exercise practices.

6. Prior Injury. Those who have been injured before are at risk for re-injury.

ATHLETIC INJURY FIRST AID

Standard practice in the sports medicine community is R.I.C.E., which means:

a. Rest. Rest is necessary because continued exercise or other activity could extend the injury. Stop using the injured part the minute it is hurt. Once the proper medical evaluation has been made the rest will be either extended (medical restriction) or the soldier will return to activity.

b. Ice or Cold Application. The application of cold is a very important first-aid procedure. Cold is used in the acute soft-tissue injury because it decreases the metabolism of the injured tissue, thereby reducing the need for oxygen at a time when there may be a limited amount available at the cellular level. It also limits the extent of the injury and controls the amount of the swelling. The severity of pain and spasm may also be lessened. The various types of cold applications include the following:

(1) Ice. Place crushed ice in a double plastic bag, a wet towel, or a conventional ice bag. If available, use an elastic wrap that has been presoaked in cold water to hold the ice in position. The time schedule for the ice application depends on the type and severity of the injury, but twenty to thirty minutes every hour for the first twenty-four hours is a good rule of thumb.

(2)Chemical Cold Pack. Though there are many varieties of cold packs available, their ability to lower the temperature of the deeper soft tissues is limited, and their use should be restricted to emergency situations where there are no other options.

(3)Ethyl Chloride and Related Chemical Sprays. Sprays are used in soft-tissue injury, particularly when it is accomplished by muscle spasm.These sprays must be cautiously applied because skin damage from freezing may occur.

c. Compression. Compression is usually accompanied by application of an elastic wrap, which can first be soaked in cold water to aid the cooling process (dry elastic wrap has insulating properties and may counteract the effect of cold).

d. Elevation. Elevation is most applicable to extremity. Where practical, the involved part should be elevated higher than the heart for much of the first twenty-four hours following injury. Again, elevation works mainly by limiting the amount of dependent oedema and swelling that can occur after an injury.

I know its a bit of a read, but I hope it helps a bit.

Craig
2004-01-22 11:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I am just the opposite. I only get shin splints when outdoors however it is when I run on concrete. I woulld say it is probably do to running form and/or stretching.

I stretch 2-3 times a day for about 15 min each time. Try stretching your 'shins" by sitting with your legs out in front of you and pointing your toes forward as much as you can and lower your torso towards your legs.keeping your chin out. This will stretch your hamstring and add a little stretch to the top part of your lower leg and ankle. this should stretch those muscles enough to help. It takes time though. Don't push it too fast and do it consisantly.

Also i usually run with an incline of 2 degrees. This simulates outdoor running since when running outdoors you are seldom flat. However, using an incline can cause pain in your shins. Stretch first for a few days if you are having problems.

This works for me and I don't have any problems. Oh, I also can get pains in my shins if I change my form. I have tried to increase my cadende and run more on the balls of my feet when on a treadmill and have experienced my shins starting to hurt. Check your form and see if you are running differently, that could also be a cause.

2004-01-23 1:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
i have read somewhere.. that on tredmils you take shoter strides then when outside, that could have alot to do with getting the shinsplints because your not getting the full range of motion. i use to get them really bad and it didnt matter what i was running on. i just took it slow and did some streching with my feet, that helped alot. i call them abc's. while sitting, take your foot and make a A with it, like your drawing a letter A in the air, then B then C, and do the whole alphabet, if you were like me by the time m comes around your hurtin, that helped alot for me! Jack. ;-)
2004-01-23 8:26 AM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the info.
2004-01-23 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Hey - thanks everyone - this is an "occasional" problem for me. There's no "one size" ay? For me, concrete=shin splints (ok outer tibia type) - trail and indoor track (rubber based) are great, and the treadmill is okay if I don't go too long.
2004-01-23 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4713

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Thanks everyone for the great info. I see some of mysef in what you were saying (shorter stride on treadmill, old sneakers, too fat) so I'll start stretching before I run, get some new shoes. Conceivably even lose some weight...

We'll see how it works. Thanks all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill = Shin Splints Rss Feed