United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 42s
Overall Rank = 129/222
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up ~5:15am. Ate toast w/ peanut butter, and a banana. Drove the hour to the event, dropped Steph off w/ bikes, parked and headed back to race area. Set up transition, looked at the fog, felt the water...brrr!!! Found Brian and Desi and Bella.
Event warmup:

10 minute jog. Cooled off way too much as the start was delayed due to the fog. Very cold!!!
Swim
  • 19m 33s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Again, no swim warmup. It was just too cold because we didn't have wetsuits. At the start, all the women were asking us "Um, are you gals going to be OK?? It's really cold out there!" First 200 was very, very hard. The water was so cold I was hyperventilating! Got kicked a lot, and felt like I was going to drown...where are those kayak's? I didn't stop, though. Had to just keep my head above water until my breathing settled. After the first 200, my body got used to the water and I had a great rest of the swim, passing people and drafting better.
What would you do differently?:

Get a wetsuit!! Santa?
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

T1 included the 200 or so yard run up from the swim exit.

I wanted to wear a long sleeved shirt on the bike and run because it was so cold outside. Problem was...I couldn't get the shirt on!!! The sleeves kept getting stuck on my wet arms. Eventually got it on, but probably lost a minute with it. Downed a Gu, everything else went smoothly. Forgot to double knot my laces, which untied in the run...oops.

Get a more dri-fit long sleeved shirt that will get on easier.
Bike
  • 40m 55s
  • 11.8 miles
  • 17.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed hard on the bike (maybe too hard?). Very proud of my time considering how cold it was. Got up to 30 mph!!! Weeee!

My legs started to get very cold. Could feel my calves cramping, but told it to go away!

Maybe take it a little easier, save some muscle for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

T2 was funny. The transition area was grassy with lots of holes, so the bike was bouncing up and down. It took all my energy not to start laughing!!! Otherwise was uneventful.

Nada
Run
  • 25m 42s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was going well. After 1st lap I was all smiles. Gave a big one to Desi and Brian. Right after I passed them, I got the worst side stitch in the world! I could barely breathe and I started to get light headed and felt like I was going to pass out. I kept on jogging (can we say stubborn?). I practiced my deep breathing exercises from cross-country and it went away in about 1/2 mile. Ended up finishing really strong, but my run time suffered from the brief episode, probably lost 2 minutes. DANG!!!

The run was beautiful, though! Great to have 2 laps so spectators can see you multiple times.

Take it a little easier on the bike. I used too much energy and my legs were shot for the run. Cardiovascularly, I felt pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the BBQ and ate!!! Stretched a little, mingled with Brian and Desi and my puppy. Waited around so Steph could pick up here 3rd place AG medal...alright Stephanie!!!!! :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmm, just need to develop my biking more so it's not so punishing to push myself. Next would have to be lack of a wetsuit in the frigid conditions.

Event comments:

Race went off late, but that was for safety reasons. The race website had terrible directions to the event!!

It was just so cold out there. I didn't dry off the entire time, so I was so cold.. When I finished, my hair was still soaking, as were my tri top and shorts. Brr!!! I woke up sick this morning, guess why?

Better race for me than last time. Still had some hiccups that didn't allow a GREAT race, but it was better. I finished with a bit smile this time around! :-)

Race Photos: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

Last updated: 2004-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:33 | 880 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 145/222
Performance: Average
Suit: Just my tri suit!
Course: Diamond shaped course around lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:55 | 11.8 miles | 17.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 157/222
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Advertised as 11 miles, but both Steph and my bike computer said 11.8. Small rolling hills, lots of flat, out and back style.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:42 | 02.8 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 142/222
Performance: Average
Course: Trail running, up and down a few hills. 2 laps around lake area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-09-27 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: Black Diamond Triathlon

2004-09-27 3:57 PM
in reply to: #67001

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: RE: Black Diamond Triathlon
Congrats! Looks like a great place to spend the day. I can't stand being cold. I would have been miserable.
2004-09-27 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
you deserve kudos for this race! 55 degrees...i may have run back and waited in the car! good job in light of all the obstacles you overcame!
2004-09-27 11:02 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

55 Degrees?  Holy frozen peas, I don't think I'd have made it through the swim!  I hate cold water...my hat's off to you for perservering and finishing what looks like a great race.

2004-09-28 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Jazzy, you rock on the swim without the wetsuit!!! In the pictures it looks as though you finished the swim with the run into T1 very strong...the girls behind you look like they had half the energy or less than you.

On your calves for the run, did they feel like they were going to seize up on you at all...and if so how did you get past that?

Hope you feel well today!!! Get some rest, plenty of fluids, and try to get out and run/walk those legs out.

What a trooper!!!
2004-09-28 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on another fine race! Damn, 55 deg F? Wetsuit? That's time for an argon filled drysuit

-Frank

2004-09-28 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
nice race jazzy ...and pretty nuts to be out there w/o a wetsuit

i particularly liked how you " Could feel my calves cramping, but told it to go away! "

and nice pics too

what is the cetrone V ?
2004-09-28 12:14 PM

User image

Brr! I was thinking about you and Steph doing the tri while I was squinting in the fog at my son's soccer game. You rock--and it looks like you had fun being crazy!
2004-09-28 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Thanks everyone! Yes, frozen peas it was (at least for the men ;-) ).

As for the calves, Casey, they definitely felt like they were going to sieze. I just overexaggerated my stride and they finally warmed up enough!

John - The Cetrone V, a family birth mark. The skin on our foreheads turns very red when we are angry or exercising in the shape of a V. :-)

Michele - Thanks for thinking of us! How could you watch a soccer game in that!??

Thanks for the kind words...from now on, I won't take their word when they advertise "water temperature in the mid 60's"...I'll call the lake myself!!
2004-09-28 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Great race, Jazzy!!

You are a speed demon!  And a tough cookie to get through the cold weather...

Jen

2004-09-30 6:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
I feel like I have to take short quick flat-footed steps when my calves get like that. I'm afraid they are going to seize if I try to take to big of a stride and I'm more worried about having to stop to stretch the seized muscle than working it in slowly. So your telling me that the longer stride works them out faster without the seize?

2004-09-30 6:19 PM
in reply to: #68258

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
I don't make my stride longer, I just exaggerate the motions. Like I focus on my foot hitting the ground and exaggerate my foot motion, the flexing and pointing of my foot getting it off the ground. Then lifting my knees a bit higher (also helps with the quads/hammy's). I don't know, it may sound weird, and it's hard to explain...but it works for me!
2004-09-30 9:14 PM

Champion

Good race Jazzy...looks like some of those spectators could have dressed warmer!  LOL

2004-09-30 9:25 PM
in reply to: #68313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Thanks Max! Yeah, all I wanted to do was steal my cousin's fleece after the race. Her and my boyfriend were commenting on how cold it was...as they were sipping their coffee and Stephanie and I are in nothing but our tri suits! Grrr... ;-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Diamond Triathlon Rss Feed