General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree Road Race 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peachtree Road Race 10K - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Atlanta Track Club
70F / 21C
Total Time = 1h 42m 23s
Overall Rank = /55000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:30 a.m. I had showered and shaved the night before, so all I had to do was get up, wake up, walk the pooch and head for the train. I got there about 5:30 to meet up with the others from our team that were running from work. One was already there, and by six the other three had shown up. The train was full of racers all with their numbers. I was amazed out how many. Usually the North Springs train, being the end of the line, is barely occupied, but on that morning, it was packed. The few people actually headed to the airport with their bags looked around in dismay at the throngs scantily clad in running gear with various colored numbered bibs pinned to shirts.
Event warmup:

We reached the main staging area about 6:30. All of us hit the porta-potties. We left one there as she was in group 2 and was near the start line, while the rest of us trekked our way to our starting groups. The other three were in group 8, while I, as I have mentioned, was in group nine. I was talking to a guy in my start group later and his pedometer showed it was a mile and a half from the train station to our start position.

At 6:45 I ate my Clif bar even though I was not hungry but knew I needed to get something in my system. It was not settling well, and was hoping the nausea would wear off before start time, and was also afraid that I would end up in the porta-potty with the trots. At about 7 I had to pee again, as I had been sipping water since I got up, but thought I might could hold it, then someone mentioned it would be almost nine before our group even hit the starting line, so at 7:15 I wandered back down the hill to the porta-potties and got in line. I was still in line while they sang the national anthem and the jets flew over. I was back in my group by the time the first runners (the seeded group) started at 7:37. Then the real wait began.

We passed the time chatting and listening to the music blaring on the speakers on the right side of the road. I finished two pints of water by 8 a.m. and decided to lay off the water until I hit the first water stations on the race course. My nerves had settled, the nausea was gone, and I started to get my self mentally prepared for the next 6.2 miles. By 8:30 our group was starting to move towards the starting line, and damn did I need to pee again. We stopped again near some porta-potties, and I hopped in line to pee again, but then the group started to move, so I ditched it as I did not want to lose my place at the front. Then at almost 9 a.m., we finally came to the start, and we were off!
  • 1h 42m 23s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 16m 31s  min/mile

I had set up my mp3 player at 4-5 minutes of walking cadence followed by one minute of run cadence. I only missed my run portions a couple of times, once on Cardiac Hill where I was just focused on one foot in front of the other, and another when the run came right at a portion when I was pushing so hard on the walk, that I almost puked.

I should not have worried so much about being last. I was no where near that. In fact, I had gotten my water, my t-shirt, met up with friends, got our picture taken and we were on our way back to the train and tons of people were still coming across the finish line.

When I realized I was no where near the back of the pack, I was half tempted to ease up on the pace, but I pushed as hard as I could because it was a race after all, at least with myself. Considering how little running I have been able to do because of shin splints, I was totally happy with my pace. It could probably have been even faster if not for having to stop and take off my socks and all the weaving through the crowd.
What would you do differently?:

Not get my feet wet so early on. The water stations were rivers, along with everyone spraying water along the course. My socks got wet at the first water station that I hit at mile one. By mile two I could feel the blisters forming on the balls of my feet. By mile three I stopped to strip my socks and finished without them, but I did not take them off soon enough and each step was a painful one with running almost unbearable by mile 5.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line, we were herded into Piedmont Park first through the water line, then through the t-shirt line. After that I walked across the park to meet the rest of the folks from work at our balloon. From there, we headed out of the park through the Powerade line, and then made our 30 minute trek back to the train station, all uphill I should add. Crammed train ride back to the North Springs station, from there we met up at IHOP to pig out. I got home sometime after 1 p.m. at which point PRSS was in full swing. I soaked in a sea salt bath for about 20 minutes followed by a hot shower and a nap. All of that was not enough, I was sore all night and am still incredibly sore today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training was a big limiter. I did this race only six weeks into my tri training, and just a couple of months after deciding I was tired of being a couch potato and I had not even walked 10K on a training day, much less run/walk for over and hour and half. I cannot wait to try it again with a year under my belt. Also it did not help I am still having issues with the shin splints.

Event comments:

Amazing is only one word of many that comes to mind when describing this race. This was my first Peachtree, and I had not understood the hype of this race going into it. People were buying numbers online for $300. I was thinking just to get the coveted t-shirt at the end? I used to live in Buckhead and have driven Peachtree Street more times than I can count, but what a different animal it was on race day. Six miles of festivity is the best way to put it. Bands playing, people cheering, thousands of people running the same race as you, and it seemed almost as many were cheering you on.

I made a point to thank as many volunteers as I had breath for. I waved at everyone who waved at me. I tried to make a special point to wave to the disabled people along the route. Out front of the hospital there was a lady who looked like she was status post left sided stroke. Her nurse was with her, and she was in a wheel chair and had a gown on. I waved and waved until she saw me and she broke out with a grin. It was worth all the pain of the race just for that.

Out in front of one of the churches they were spraying holy water (which I avoided in case I burst into flame) and the priests were anointing racers with holy water and giving blessings to those who stopped for it. I found all that quite humorous.

There was so much more along the race route: radio stations with their vans broadcasting, people handing out all kinds of stuff, average Joes in their lawn chairs with signs of encouragement. One of my fav sightings was of the Atlanta Greyhound Racer Rescue group that had a bunch of retired greyhounds there to encourage the runners. There were thousands of volunteers, not to mention the police closing off over six miles of downtown Atlanta for several hours. The Peachtree definitely lived up to its reputation as the world's largest 10K.

Last updated: 2007-03-25 12:00 AM
01:42:23 | 06.2 miles | 16m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/55000
Performance: Average
My HR monitor was wacky. I am not for sure if it was interference or what. I was never out of the crowd, so it could have been from other people with HR monitors on. I got weird readings the whole race, from a reading of 225 after one of my runs when I was hardly winded, down to 62 after another run. After a bit, I quit looking at the HR data, and was just looking at my time. The only split I got was the two mile marker. I nearly wet myself, because I was at 32 minutes. That was 16mph average; I had not even hit that pace in my training ever. I would like to have gotten more mile splits, but while they had big signs at every mile, I was too focused on weaving the crowd and focusing on my cadence that I missed most of them.
Course: This was a tough course for me. You can see the elevation map at the Peachtree Road race site ( There is one hill they call Cardiac Hill which is at Piedmont Hospital, and I was so busy trying to keep cadence up on it, that I did not realize I was on it until I looked to my right and there was the hospital. The other difficult part of this race was the shear number of people. I was worried about being last; that should have been the least of my worries. Group 9 was the perfect group for me because it was the more casual racers. I was MOP in that group, which still put me in the middle of 5000 or more people just from group 9. I kept to the right when walking and moved to the left when running, but a lot of people did not follow the same etiquette. When I was running I spent a lot of that weaving among people, which made it difficult at times, to down right impossible as I stood at a jog while people refused to move out of the way. You would think a four lane road would be plenty of room for racers to spread out, but it was still very crowded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

2007-07-05 12:10 PM

User image

Subject: Peachtree Road Race 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree Road Race 10K Rss Feed