Vacation Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 58s
Overall Rank = 333/396
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/33
Pre-race routine:

Had a banana and yogurt at 5:15am. At 7:30 had a 5-hour energy booster (not a good idea for the future!). Drank about 30oz water before starting race.
Event warmup:

Stretched out a little. Once in the water waiting for my heat, I stayed wet and kept moving (about a half hour).
Swim
  • 17m
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started in the back in the middle. Swam pretty well when I had open area to do so. Got off course a little, didn't know the route exactly.
What would you do differently?:

Start in front row and maybe to one side. Find out exact course route. (I was so nervous that I didn't pay close enough attention when it was explained - and I'm short so couldn't see the swimmers going in first heats before my own heat because I was in the back.)
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Transition felt pretty good.

Use different shorts - this pair had a drawstring, not a good idea.
Bike
  • 54m 55s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I have a mountain bike - NOTE TO SELF: Get a different bike for next race! And I don't know the first thing about fixing bikes so I did not ever shift gears - it was in hardest gear all through my training as well as the race. I also found myself lollygagging along forgetting I was racing! So I would remember and then push it harder.

Different bike, mentally focus on race, drink more water, learn how to re-chain or minor bike repair so I can shift gears without fear.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Got new pedal straps one week before the race so hadn't practiced loosening the straps to get off. One minute before dismounting I mentally pictured how I would dismount: loosen straps, feet out of them, jump off near time-pad, run into transition area, mount bike, toss helmet and begin run.

As I crossed the time-pad, I heard one of the timer-guys say, "Wow, nice dismount!" to the guy next to him! That really psyched me up!

Practice with new equipment way ahead of time (rather than a few days before race).
Run
  • 24m 28s
  • 2.08 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

First I have to say I am NOT a runner. My biggest goal for this triathlon was to be in the running motion the whole distance of the run. And I did that! I did not care how fast/slow I went ("Grandpappy Pace" I repeated over and over). All I cared about was NOT walking during the run portion. Mission accomplished! I even was able to sprint the last block over the finish line! Heard the announcer say, "Here comes the popular number 408, Sue Ellen Toppings! And who can't think of ice cream when you say her name?!" He said popular because almost my entire family was there cheering for me! It was great!

Learn to run more efficiently, breathing properly, get my body to be more that of a runner. I did the best I could at this time! I have a lot of work to do yet, though.
Post race
Warm down:

I puked 4-5 times. Not much of a warm-down! After that, I concentrated on not puking on my kids, family, friends or any by-standers. One other triathlete saw me puking and was very concerned and caring. She brought me a glass of water and made sure I didn't need medical attention. I did not - it was just a combination of nerves, 5-hour energy booster, and a ton of dirty lake water all mixed in with the exersion of sprinting the last block!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That 5-hour energy booster, I think, gave me heartburn when it was mixed with lakewater. (I had had the stuff during training with success.) I wasn't able to drink water much the entire race. I am used to drinking plenty during my training workouts so I am sure that limited my performance. I didn't pay close enough attention to the swim route instructions.

Event comments:

I had a great time and accomplished something huge for myself. I enjoyed the swim the most, the run the least. I think I would like to be the swimmer for a team tri someday (maybe soon, too!) and can see myself training for another individual sprint tri - but I don't think it will be this summer. I will work on my running skills - I will enter a 5K race this summer or fall to motivate me. Will look for a different bike and train on that as well. I have set a good bar for myself. I'm proud of having done it and accomplished ALL the personal goals I set for myself!

Last updated: 2007-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:00 | 600 meters | 02m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/33
Overall: 191/396
Performance: Below average
Suit: Swimsuit
Course: Pretty shallow (2 feet) for first 25 yards after start. Swam in a square shape, clockwise. A lot of sea weed to get through. White Bear Lake (Memorial Beach) was 20 feet below normal level. Had to run in the last ~70 yards in 1ft-2ft deep water. Quite a ways on the beach (~30yards) before transition timer.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:55 | 14 miles | 15.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/33
Overall: 348/396
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was, in my opinion, kind of hilly. There weren't too many steep hills (probably only 2), but there were plenty of longer drawn out hills. Pretty much you were either going up or down except for a ~2 mile part near the turn around point.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:28 | 02.08 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/33
Overall: 367/396
Performance: Good
Course: Course was supposed to be 3.2 miles. The website is calculating our times for that distance so it says 9.47/mi but that is not right. It was for the most part in the shade. There was a small part (.3 mi) that was on a dirt road with large rocks (under construction). There were two water stations, one at beginning and one at turning point.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-05 2:06 PM

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: Freedom Triathlon

2007-07-05 2:41 PM
in reply to: #873265

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Freedom Triathlon
One down and many to go.  Congratulations triathlete!  If there is a bad puking story, I haven't heard it.
2007-07-05 3:35 PM

Minneapolis
Way to go Sue Ellen! You did great for your first tri. Perhaps we can train together sometime because we seem to be about the same speed. Anyways, I am glad that your first tri went well and I look forward to seeing you again at another race. And by the way . . . you did ROCK the bear out of White Bear Lake.

Edited by swmmer608 2007-07-05 3:35 PM
2007-07-05 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
Way to go, Sue Ellen! Crystal told me about how anxious you were in the days leading up to the race, but it seems like you channeled that anxiety pretty well. Keep working toward those goals!

-Kevin
2007-07-05 7:46 PM

Wow, awesome job and congrats. I'm amazed you did the whole bike in one gear and under an hour!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freedom Triathlon Rss Feed