General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the Ladies - Training with Fatigue During "That Time"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-05 4:29 PM

Subject: For the Ladies - Training with Fatigue During "That Time"?
Hey girls,

Every month, for the first day or two of my visit from my lady-friend, I get seriously fatigued - last night, I was falling asleep at 9pm, went to bed at 10:30 and ZONKED and only woke up at 5:50 because I had cramps. Took some Aleve and went back to sleep until 7:30. I have been dragging all day and I really, really should go for a run tonight because I haven't run in a week, and hadn't done anything at all for a whole 5 days until yesterday, because my parents were here helping me move. I feel as though if I try to go for a jog, I will just not get far. I want to go home, curl up on the couch under a huge blanket and eat the yummy 3-squash soup that I have in the fridge, even though it's 85 degrees out. I should be totally fine tomorrow, but I feel bad missing a work-out especially since I missed an entire 5 days.

How do you ladies combat female-related fatigue? I just want to eat an entire jar of peanut butter and go into hibernation mode. Should I just forget it for today and resume tomorrow? In general though, what do you all do? I used to just suck it up for ballet/jazz/tap class in college cuz I had to go or I'd fail!- and believe me, nothing is MORE unappealing than being bloated, crampy, icky and wedged into a leotard (panty-less, no less) and tights in a sweaty, smelly dance studio. (At least with tap, you can wear comfy pants)

What works, foodwise, tea-wise, etc? I can't swallow pills, but I'll eat/drink anything. Caffeine is out of the question cuz it makes me really sick. Maybe just do some yoga??

2007-07-05 4:49 PM
in reply to: #873538

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
Subject: RE: For the Ladies - Training with Fatigue During "That Time"?
with me going for a slow jog always helps with the cramps... plus i feel a lot better afterwards... the problem always is to get myself to go jogging cuz as i feel crappy and whiny it's so much easier to pity myself and eat useless junk (chocolate is my favorite during those days)... just get up without thinking about it, go for a slow jog / walk and you'll feel like new born... it's worth a try, isn't it?
2007-07-05 4:52 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I feel for you. I really do. I suffer from endometriosis so I know all about the pain and discomfort and tiredness.  What I normally do is lay low for the 1st day which is always the worse for me pain and tiredness wise. Come the 2nd day I feel a little better and I'll do somer biking or running.

I've found now however that the more I excercise in the up coming weeks the pain doesn't seem to last as long.

As for food I try not  to eat anything really greasy, in fact I really don't eat a lot during that time because I'm so bloated. Just something light if anything.  

I do drink a lot of tea anyway being Scottish so I don't know if that helps really. I just rest  over that time. Otherwise I feel like poop.  

2007-07-05 5:55 PM
in reply to: #873581

Champion
South Jersey
Two words: The Pill. And, if you really get cramps and stuff that badly, you can probably get it covered by your health insurance.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-07-05 5:56 PM
2007-07-05 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa

I feel for anyone who has issues with this.  I feel pretty lucky (knock on wood) since I'm the only female in my family who doesn't suffer from extreme pain, cramps, bloating, cravings, etc... during that time.  I always thought it was because I was extremely active, but after reading all of your posts it must be another reason.

I do get cravings though...CHOCOLATE!!!!!!  I just give in, a little.  I'm pretty good most of the time, so I don't get to down on myself for a little caving.

I'm sorry I can't give you any advice, but someone mentioned getting out there even if it's just for a walk.  I read somewhere that is pretty good for cramps.  Also, I read drinking more water is good when your bloated. 

2007-07-05 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Usually a slower run pace does the trick.
Also, if you have especially heavy periods, you might wanna try some extra iron for the fatigue
Oh, and that leotard story brought back some memories, scary thick white tights! hahahaha

2007-07-05 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
I just suck it up.  Actually, if I make it into a workout, all those endorphins or whatever it is really help IMMENSELY!  The hardest part is just getting out there.  Oh you should just hear the whining that goes on inside my head.  It's just awful.  All the excuses.  My dang brain.   So I tell myself to just start the workout.  If it's not going well after 15 minutes, then I can quit.  It's rare for me to have to quit in the middle of a workout if I follow that plan.  It has happened once or twice though.  Normally, within 10 minutes I am feeling much better.  But oh so hard to get up off the couch and get moving. 
2007-07-05 6:19 PM

Coeur d'Alene, ID
I go for the suck it up and do it thing. I know it's going to suck and I'm going to be hungrier, so I relax my diet (a little! ) that week, put my head down and power through. I might not be setting personal records, but at least I'm doing something.

B vitamins seem to give me a nice boost of energy. I like the cranberry or orange Emergen-C.
2007-07-05 6:30 PM
in reply to: #873643

LaurenSU02 - 2007-07-05 6:55 PM

Two words: The Pill. And, if you really get cramps and stuff that badly, you can probably get it covered by your health insurance.

I was on it for a long time - and yeah, I never got cramps. They're not bad as they are, I only get them on the first day, and Aleve will take care of them. But I just 'feel' the effects of PMS more now when I'm not on it. Partially due to cost and partially due to the fact that I'm kind of weirded out about pumping hormones into my body when I'm single and not getting any. I don't know, though. I've thought about going back on it.
2007-07-05 6:38 PM

User image

Broomfield, CO
This is what I do: the pill, a multivitamin, 2 cups of green tea a day. I dont experience much fatique. But, whatch out - I'm kinda bitchy. lol I just need something for that.
2007-07-05 6:45 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
If I'm really feeling tired, I take a Vitamin B complex and that seems to give me a little extra energy.  As far as exercising, I try to suck it up and get out there.  Getting started is usually the hardest part.  If I can get out of the house and moving (even if it's more slowly), I feel a whole lot better. 

2007-07-05 6:58 PM
in reply to: #873670

Champion
South Jersey

wurkit_gurl - 2007-07-05 7:30 PM
LaurenSU02 - 2007-07-05 6:55 PM Two words: The Pill. And, if you really get cramps and stuff that badly, you can probably get it covered by your health insurance.
I was on it for a long time - and yeah, I never got cramps. They're not bad as they are, I only get them on the first day, and Aleve will take care of them. But I just 'feel' the effects of PMS more now when I'm not on it. Partially due to cost and partially due to the fact that I'm kind of weirded out about pumping hormones into my body when I'm single and not getting any. I don't know, though. I've thought about going back on it.

Me either. It doesn't matter. If you're on it, you don't have all the cramping and fatigue, etc. to deal with. Plus, most races are on Sunday, the others on Saturday. If you do the Sunday start, your period should be over by the weekend anyway. And, if not, it's usually so light that you don't even have to worry. So, if you're doing an IM and it happens to fall on that weekend...you don't need to be worrying about having any products on hand, etc. I've been on the pill for a long time now (started it to control ovarian cysts) and can't even imagine going back to life before it. The only time it ever interfers with my training is if I forget to take it one day and have to double up the next day. Without fail, I wake up the following morning with "morning sickness." Fortunately, that only happens once or twice a year. And, I don't think everyone reacts that way. There's so many studies out there about how it's bad for you, and so many others about how it's good for you. I just ignore them. I don't mind the hormones (and I am one of those people who avoids medications at all cost).

2007-07-05 7:26 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

LaurenSU02 - 2007-07-05 5:55 PM Two words: The Pill. And, if you really get cramps and stuff that badly, you can probably get it covered by your health insurance.

x2

Yes. Yes. Yes. My period is hardly noticeable anymore. A mere blip on the radar. If that.  

2007-07-05 7:29 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA

It really depends on how I feel--if I feel particularly crappy, I just lie low and trust that I'll feel well enough to work out the next day. I've had success with yoga making me feel more at ease, but if I remember correctly, certain (inverted) poses are discouraged for menstruating women.

To second at least one other commenter, I've noticed that when I'm training hard in the week or two prior to my period, it's shorter, lighter, and less unpleasant overall. 

As for drugs, there are alternatives to the pill, if you'd rather not go back on it. (I've never tried it, simply because I don't want to have to take a pill at the same time every day--kudos to all you ladies who are diligent about it!) Nuva Ring is pretty good. The shot (Depo Provera) is fantastic, but they recommend that you only stay on it for two years at a time. There's also Mirena, which is an IUD with a low hormone dose. Okay, I'll stop before I start sounding even more like a walking pharmacy.

2007-07-05 7:34 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA

LaurenSU02 - 2007-07-05 3:55 PM Two words: The Pill. And, if you really get cramps and stuff that badly, you can probably get it covered by your health insurance.

Many states (over half, according to NARAL) require that contraceptives be covered by insurance. It's definitely worth checking to see if your plan covers it.

2007-07-05 7:43 PM
in reply to: #873713

User image

Veteran
Denver
I mainly bump up my iron intake during that time period. (No pun intended! ) =) I actually bend my food rules and have some red meat. It seems to do the trick for me. That and a hot bath in the evening on the first or second night...

2007-07-05 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
I got my tubes tied and while it doesn't take care of PMS it has lightened my mind immensely! One less thing to ever worry about. I also do the green tea and light exercise on the first two days. My dog loves the longer walks and I just count the days as recovery days.

I have read somewhere that some women actually perform better in sports while they have their periods, not the days before it though. I've found the same thing. If I do get my butt in gear I'm much faster/can go longer even if I feel sluggish for the first 10 minutes or so.

Definitely the water! Drink lots of it. Takes care of the bloat.

But I sure don't know what I'd do if I had an IM or something long like it scheduled... By the time I get into such good shape I will probably be done with menopause!
2007-07-05 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA

I am a complete semi-cranky slug for the few days leading up to my period, and then I get severe cramping for the first 2-3 days or so. With the slugginess, I just try to get more sleep and suck it up to do my workouts (I'm about to go for a run in 115 degree weather, we'll see how far I make it), convincing myself it'll make me tougher and it'll make the not-crappy days better-feeling. I try to up my iron intake by eating more red meat, which seems to help, though I might just get some iron pills because they're just easier to manage than eating 2/3 lb burgers.

When I get super crampy, I'll take some ibuprofen or motrin or whatever is lying around and if it's really bad I'll cut out my usual workouts and just do yoga or take a rest day.

I do have a very, very regular period and I will try to schedule races and things around it, though I'm going on a mountaineering trip in Sept and I'm apparently supposed to get my period on a summit day, which I'm really not happy about but I guess I'll just have to deal with. 

2007-07-05 8:07 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

The more I work out in general, the less cramping and bloating my period is.  however, they are super heavy - I use the word projectile.  And mine come every 22 days.   I can really rant on this, check my logs during that time.....   and after nearly 25 years on and off the pill, I say no more.

But I agree, if you can get yourself OUT there, even if it is lighter work out than normal, it isn't so bad.  I do plan my rest day for the worst of it......  I can't make it though a work out without needing supplies.

2007-07-05 8:33 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

I get fatigue and all sorts of other symptoms.... generally I try to do some light workouts (walking, swimming, easy ride) or 'fun' ones (spin class) as it does help with the discomfort and energy levels... its talking myself into doing it thats reall hard!

I will allow myself a day off if I really dont want to... because right now Im not able to go on the pill.. although having read the above that sounds great!!!

2007-07-05 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
I just had an inexplicably great run in 112 degree heat. I felt sluggish all day and I'm set to get my period in two or three days. I feel so much better now. You never know what'll happen... just get out there!

2007-07-05 10:52 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I guess I'm lucky...makes no difference for me..

I just know when I don't workout I'm cranky. 

2007-07-06 1:14 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Hey Chrissy--shout out and sympathy to a fellow Barloworlder. I have horrifying periods, which are much better when I go on hormonal birth control, but then I get horrifying and unpredictable migraines. So I choose (as in tri) the path of blood.

+1 to SauseEnte's note about women actually being stronger during periods (not PMS). Good medical literature to support it. I too, though, have that yucky first ten minutes when I am made of lead.

FWIW Joan Benoit Samuelson won Boston (both times) and the Olympics during her period.

If no caffeine, Tylenol + aspirin (Aleve not shown to have as good effect as this combo for menstrual cramps).  800mg of ibuprofen will kill just about anything ... including your stomach. Green tea is soothing, but has caffeine (and the decaf varieties strip some of the phytochemicals.  Try chamomile, with honey if you like it sweet. Caffeine as a diuretic (rids excess water/rids bloating) is hard to beat, but our fave electrolyte beverages have been shown to have some diuretic effect, too.

Edited by TriAya 2007-07-06 1:19 AM
2007-07-06 5:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

I guess I am also one of the very lucky ones as I usually only got some headaches the day before and then I am fine once it starts.

I am one of those that has been performing some of her best races on her first day of the period and now I am no longer dreading the fact that it might arrive on race day, I welcome it

I think you should go with how you feel. Probably try to go out the door and if it is still really bad after 10 minute then call it a day and go home.

2007-07-06 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
After I had my son, I had the extreme fatigue. I'd never had it before that, and was always thinking, "geez, what are all these women complaining about." Doh. Karma got me. But, once I got back into an exercise routine, it went away again for the most part. (Whew!)

When I did have the fatigue, I'm not sure any amount of prodding could have gotten me motivated. Now, I have no excuse because the only real symptom that I get is that I'm a total, complete, incredible - which only gets worse if I don't exercise. Thankfully, I have a very understanding husband, who just shoos me out the door when I get too unbearable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the Ladies - Training with Fatigue During "That Time"? Rss Feed  

of 2