General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » One of the many, one of the few... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-05 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: One of the many, one of the few...
Hi!

I am a runner who, for some really odd reason, has let her husband talk her into doing her first triathlon. It's coming up here in a few weeks. It's just a sprint tri, so it will be (hopefully) short and sweet. So, I am a beginner triathlete!

I am more of a duathlon kind of girl because I am a horrible, horrible swimmer. I despise swimming. But I have been (grudgingly) getting in the pool a lot more lately. And tonight I swam 550 meters (with breaks, of course). It sounds really pathetic considering I can run more than 10 miles without problems.

I am supposed to swim 800 meters in this triathlon. However, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to freestyle the whole way. Will it be really wussy if I float on my back for a while? I'll make sure I'm the last one in the water so I won't be in anyone's way. It's an open water swim. And I have tried to learn other strokes, but my body simply won't do what I tell it to when I'm in the water. I will probably take some swimming lessons in the next few months but I'm afraid I have procrastinated on this swim thing too long.

Anyone have any advice? Or encouragement?

2007-07-05 10:31 PM
in reply to: #873874

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: One of the many, one of the few...

Brynn, huge props to you for taking the plunge (so to speak) and not only signing up for your first tri, but working on the swimming.

It is absolutely not wussy to float on your back for a while ... just as for weaker runners, it's perfectly okay to walk some.  Most tris, also, will let you hang on to a kayaker, boat, buoy, or rope if they are there in order to take a break.

Definitely try to get in some open water (with buddies and a place that has a lifeguard!) to practice.  It will give you loads of confidence.

Super good luck and thanks for posting! 

2007-07-06 8:02 AM
in reply to: #873893

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

This time last year I was about to take part in my first tri - a super sprint. A few weeks prior to the tri, I got into the pool thinking 'piece of cake" I had swam as a kid in swim team (but daaaah that was 30 years ago!) And I found doing 25 meters was making me gasp for air! I practiced but didn't have enough time to make big improvements but I was in good company as I dog paddled, breast stroked to the finish (although I started out in freestyle, I suddenly got nervous in the dark water (as opposed to pool water) and hyperventilated. So, be ready for OWS water -- can't see much underwater, and folks swimming in many cases too close for comfort. Just keep your eyes on the finish/balloons or whatever and take your time. Save your breath and leg strength for the bike and run.

I took some swim lessons over the winter and feel better this season but swimming takes lots of practice and technique. I'm not very fast but have improved. And I actually really enjoy my swim sessions now!

2007-07-06 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You can swim any style you want for the tri!  (Some people backstroke most of the race.

Have fun!

2007-07-06 12:52 PM
in reply to: #874122

User image

Extreme Veteran
BbMoozer - 2007-07-06 8:02 AM

This time last year I was about to take part in my first tri - a super sprint. A few weeks prior to the tri, I got into the pool thinking 'piece of cake" I had swam as a kid in swim team (but daaaah that was 30 years ago!) And I found doing 25 meters was making me gasp for air! I practiced but didn't have enough time to make big improvements but I was in good company as I dog paddled, breast stroked to the finish (although I started out in freestyle, I suddenly got nervous in the dark water (as opposed to pool water) and hyperventilated. So, be ready for OWS water -- can't see much underwater, and folks swimming in many cases too close for comfort. Just keep your eyes on the finish/balloons or whatever and take your time. Save your breath and leg strength for the bike and run.

I took some swim lessons over the winter and feel better this season but swimming takes lots of practice and technique. I'm not very fast but have improved. And I actually really enjoy my swim sessions now! :)

Ha ha that made my day! I am up to about 75 meters now before I begin gasping for air. Making progress! :) I hope one day I will enjoy swimming as much as you do. :) Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!
2007-07-06 1:17 PM

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
Hi Brynn!!

Nice meeting you! I still have to say I envy all of you runners! I am the opposite - I've been swimming since I was 11 months old and learning to walk. Maybe I should have learned to walk/run before learing to swim!! I picked doing tri's so I could incorporate the swimming! Now I just have to figure out how to run at a decent/acceptable pace (mine is more of a trot at this point)!

Good luck to you in four weeks!! You can Do IT!! Whoohooooooo!

Sue Ellen

2007-07-06 11:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Definitely get into some group swimming classes.  I am new to TRI too, as of late May, and first time in the pool, huffed and puffed my way thru a handfull of laps.  Managed to get in between 18 and 22 laps each time I went to the pool, then I signed up for a fitness swim class...it's like a masters swim team practice.  So I went there thinking I could only swim about 20 laps, and in each session (2 times a week), I've done 40-50 laps each session!!!

So my point here is that having a coach pushes you harder than you think you can go.

Go for it!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » One of the many, one of the few... Rss Feed