General Discussion Race Reports! » USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portland, Oregon
United States
USA Triathlon
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 13s
Overall Rank = 287/1800
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/65
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 and ate a good breakfast. Drove over to the sight. We were camping right at the lake. There was absolutely no parking and people were being towed. Poor planning here.
Event warmup:

Nothing but a quick swim before me wave went off. We go there at 7 and the cleared transition at 7:30 so no time to warm up. I was actually very late to this race. Not in a big hurry at all.
Saw Julia as I was just getting there. What sucked was my wave didn't go off until 8:36. so I waited around for ever.
Swim
  • 26m 38s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

My time did not come through on the the results page. Not many peoples swim did. WTF? I had my watch going and checked it right as I stood up. So this did not have the run up the beach. Very good swim I think the course was short because everyones swim was fast. I could not see a damn thing but I just kept swimming until I saw bouys on my left. I sight pretty damn good. I did some sighting off of others but not much. Glad I stayed far right because everyone else said they had to make a hard rigt at the bouys to get back on course. I pushed hard and felt good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Great transition. In and out. Wetsuit came off easily and I ran with the shoes on the pedals and jumped on and pedaled all the way up the hill before I put them on.

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 06m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike. I didn't push until the second lap. Funny because I was slower the second lap. Well all was good except when I had to stop on a hill to adjust my rear brake and then the damn chain falls off. So that cost me a minute. I was a minute slower on the second loop. Did I say it was hilly. Only had a few guys go by me. Played tag with another guy most of the ride but he caught me on the run and beat me. Felt good and not to hard of a pace. I wanted to have a good run. I ate one gel and 1 bottle of gatorade. I think this was not enough and it came back to haunt me on the run. I was slow on the up hills and fast on the downhills. I needed more hill work for sure.

More hill work.
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

Fastest in my agegroup.

nada
Run
  • 43m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I started fine just chugging along. Got to mile 1 af 6:45, perfect. Felt good. Kept going. Got to mile 3 at the turn and the wheels flat fell off. Everyone was passing me and I had bonked. Not enough calories on the bike. Damn me. My leggs were just done! Worst 10k run for me ever. never seen 7 minute mile pace before! Lesson learned.

Eat more on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate and drank a ton and felt better immediately! Went and found me kids at the lake and waited for Michele to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough hill work and not enough calories

Event comments:

Good competition! I liked that. That's about all I can say. THe parking was horrible, the aid stations had 2 people at one of them. No mile markers anywhere on the course. No gatorade on the run course, only water. But it was fun to see everyone and to go to a big time race. The top 10 guys in my agegroup were all 2:04 or below! Fun race though. Just not well organized for a National Championship!

Last updated: 2007-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:38 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/65
Overall: 0/1800
Performance: Good
Suit: QR full
Course: Out and back almost a straight line. And right into the sun I might add.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:40 | 24.85 miles | 22.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/65
Wind: None
Course: Two loops around Hagg Lake. Very hilly with a 13% grade at one point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:45 | 06.21 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/65
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on the same roads we biked. Only backwards. Very hilly!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-05 11:06 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship

2007-07-05 11:34 PM
in reply to: #873911

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship
Mark, you kicked some butt for sure! Too bad about some of the technical issues (brake, chain, nutrition)... that sounds more like a Dime race than a Dills race.... But holy f*ck, your transitions are unbelievable... how in the heck can you change that fast? WOW.

Your a great/complete triathlete... Even on a day where you weren't perfect, you still put in one hell of a performance. Great job... Old Dick Dime is particularly impressed!
2007-07-06 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Great race Mark.  Too bad about the chain and the run, but still impressive.  Good luck the rest of the year.
2007-07-06 11:49 AM

User image

GREAT RACE!!! I wish I could could just chug a long and run 6:45 on the first mile... Too bad about the nutrition.. at least that is something you can fix! Me being a slow runner is a lot harder to fix. haha. You rock!
2007-07-06 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great job out there Mark

Have to say, I don't think I have ever seen a 25 Second Transition time in the standing of any race I have ever been to. (That is the coolest)

Way to hang in there and keep the little bumps in the road from derailing your race. I know you said that you bonked, but it seems like you were able to keep the legs moving anyway.

The only time I have bonked in a race I felt like I was dying and could not muster enough energy to even walk. (It was at mile 11 of a Half Marathon)

Great showing at the National Championships

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship Rss Feed