General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Stroke & Stride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Boulder Stroke & Stride - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder, Colorado
United States
Total Time = 1h 00m 47s
Overall Rank = 113/123
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Driving around lost in Boulder
Event warmup:

Frantically tried to get everything set up after getting lost in Boulder and showing up late. My internet had been out when I went to get directions so I thought I could wing it. Bad idea!
Swim
  • 19m 28s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim could've been much better. I had a bad start and couldn't really catch my breath for the rest of it. Ended up doing a lot of side stroke, a little bit of breast stroke, and some time on my back. There was some free mixed in there too though! I think the adrenaline just got to me. I was really frustrated in the water, but after seeing my time I'm not too upset. I've been averaging about 19:35 for 800m's in the pool, so this wasn't too much off from my pool times. I think I might have started too far up in the pack (didn't mean to, got stuck there) and didn't realize how fast I was swimming when I started.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on focus and finding my own pace in the water. I know I can do better than this and save energy in the process if I find my pace rather than sprinting after others who are faster than me. Not sure how to actually do this though....in the pool it's just me so I pick my pace based on how I feel. I definitely didn't realize at the time that I was going so much faster than my regular pace.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

I almost left for the run with my goggles on my head!!! Thank goodness I tried to put my hat on first! :) I have no idea what a "good" time is for transition....don't really care too much either. I wanted to make sure my shoes were on comfortably since I'm still getting used to my orthotics. Also, I took my time getting from the water to my stuff and up to the run start....I didn't run b/c I wanted to save my legs for the actual run. I'm glad I did b/c they were hurtin bad by the end!

Not start to leave w/my goggles still on my head! :) Truly though, wouldn't change much...just so glad to have had a chance to practice a transition. One less thing to stress about come race day.
Run
  • 38m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm in the 12's!!!! On a 5k!!! That's almost the exact same pace as my RECORD 2 mile run....and that was a stand alone run...this is after swimming a half mile! I just can't say enough how happy I am with this time! I used my new interval timer watch and did 2min. walking 1 min. running...until I got to where the finish line was in sight and then I ran the last 2:18 straight. So total I ran 15:18 of this....way longer than any of my training runs, and for the most part it felt really good!

It was especially cool b/c it was in the same place as the tri I watched last month, and on my way back I recognized the spot where I had been standing cheering on runners and telling them that they were almost there. Felt so good to see that spot and know I had almost made it....and then right around the corner was my new favorite 5 letter word: FINISH!

Learn how to talk and run at the same time so I could say something back to the ppl that encouraged me! Almost every time someone said something to me I was so out of breath or my mouth was so dry that I couldn't make any words come out. One guy actually slowed way down as he passed me to make sure I was ok.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around aimlessly for a while....Saw Cathy (COgirl)...always good to see a familiar face! Got a massage!! :) My first one ever (I've never been a big fan of strangers touching me so I've shyed away) and wow it felt good! I asked what she could do for my shins and she worked miracles! Between that and ice my shins feel no worse for the wear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience mostly. I've got a lot to learn but I'll get there.

Event comments:

So much fun!!!! I had a great time! The more I think about it the happier I am about it! The whole way I switched between thinking "what the heck am I doing out here?" and "omg I'm really out here doing this! how cool!"

My only complaints about the race are 1.) They gave "my" water bottle to someone else....the announcer said "next person across the finish line wins a water bottle" just seconds before I crossed, but he had his back turned when I crossed and gave it to the person behind me. Hmph. 2.) They ran out of water at the finish line! Not cool! I was soooooo thirsty. They offered me water from the melted ice that was in a trash can....I took a bit cus I really did need a drink but it looked pretty gross.

Last updated: 2007-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:28 | 750 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/123
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  03:01
Overall:
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes:
Running
00:38:18 | 03.11 miles | 12m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/123
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-06 2:31 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Boulder Stroke & Stride

2007-07-06 1:23 PM
in reply to: #873976

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Boulder Stroke & Stride

Congratulations on finishing your 1st multisport race!  Glad to see the run went well for you.  It looks like you are in good shape for the Danskin race!

2007-07-06 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Congrats, that's great training for your upcoming tri.
2007-07-07 6:07 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Now you see ... add a bike to that and you're a triathlete!  Your training is coming along great and you'll be more than ready for Danskin.  Always remember our primary goal is to have FUN.
2007-07-07 9:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great job...with some swim issues you were right on track on your swim...plus you are in the 12's...that rocks!

Just imagine in a couple years what you can do...dream big girlfriend it is in you! 

2007-07-09 12:28 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Great job Lacey!!!  Sounds like it was a success and a learning experience.  Can't ask for more.  Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Stroke & Stride Rss Feed