Broome County Parks & Recreation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 28s
Overall Rank = 3/128
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:45am. Ate a bowl of granola cereal and drank a glass of Gatorade Endurance. At 6:50am I put my back pack on and rode to the race site (~20 mi). Checked in, set up my transition area and chatted with a few athletes. I was looking around for my mother and Matt when I saw April (Breezy). It was nice seeing her there, we talked for a bit. Thank you April for taking pictures, can't wait to see them! :)
Event warmup:

I guess an hr ride to the race counts as a good warm-up. The water was open early for warm-ups and I took advantage of it. No wetsuit today and I decided to go with the Snickers tri shorts and tank top. When I got to the water I noticed that the shorts have no drawstring. Hmmmmmmm, this could be interesting. As I started swimming I noticed that I was going off course after a few strokes. I was crossing over with my right arm again, made the correction and everything was all better. I swam out to the first buoy, noticing a house on a hill I could spot, turned to the second buoy and spotted an area on the dam. That was a good thing, in the race when I made that turn I couldn't see the buoy to save my life. I took a couple laps around the first leg and went back to get a little run in. The run did it's job to get the bowels moving, whew!! :)
Swim
  • 11m 49s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

With no drawstring on my shorts I wanted to get to the outside and have a good first 200 yds. I did just that, I was out with the first 4 or 5 off the beach and after the first buoy I was in 3rd but the second place guy was swimming to the center of the triangle. It turns out that this was Adam Belecki, a :46 100 freestyler that si one of the fastest swimmers in the state. (With a black line to follow!) I spotted my area on the dam and was able to hold my line breathing every 10-12 strokes. I took this swim very easy as far as effort level. Kept everything very smooth and felt great when I got out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

My transitions are terrible!! That's all there is to it. I need to work on these more or stick to the longer races. With no wetsuit to take off this should have been a :30 T1. My tank got stuck when I put it on, my shoes didn't want to slide on and I just felt slow. Oh well.

Practice transitions!!
Bike
  • 31m 44s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.69 mile/hr
Comments:

There is a climb right out of the park that had my legs screaming, this week has definitely taken a toll on the legs. I got on the bike course in 2nd place with the leader about 1:30 in front of me. I could see him when I got to the first big hill and tried to just stay smooth and keep the cadence up. As I came down the first hill and made the slight turn before going up the second hill I noticed something blocking the emergency lane. As I got closer I saw it was a huge deer that was bloated to the point of exploding! I thought to myself "I don't want to feel like that, stay in the saddle and pedal smooth!!" Why they didn't get that cleaned up beore the race is beyond me! I got to the turn-around and I had gained abouot 1:00 on him and the third place guy had gained quite a bit on me. He passed me at about mile 7 and I stayed with him for the rest of the ride and we traded places a few times until the last big hill where I passed him, shifted down to my small chain ring and lost my chain. DAMN!! He went by me with a smile on his face and I said "That will kill your momentum!". I managed to get the chain back on and started up the hill again. Thank God for adrenaline!! I managed to catch back up to him and we both passed the lead rider as he was standing up trying to get up the hill. I passed the new leader on the descent, maybe my few extra pounds has some advantages. :) As I got near the park entrance I took my feet out and pedalled in with my feet on top of my shoes. This worked out great!

Not lose my chain.
Transition 2
  • 52m 35s
Comments:

49th overall!! My transitions suck!!

Everything and practice more!!
Run
  • 20m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt good, couldn't have pushed much more.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Chocolate milk for recovery, walked around a bit and stretched out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

After a hard week of training I was very pleased with the result of this race.

Event comments:

This was a decent race with a good venue. I hope they advertise the race better in the future and get more people.

Last updated: 2007-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:49 | 800 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 2/128
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Triangular, counterclockwise course.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:44 | 12 miles | 22.69 mile/hr
Overall: 2/128
No HRM this race.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back with 3 big climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 52:35
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:20:51 | 03.11 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 11/128
No HRM this race.
Course: Out and back trail run with one steep climb to the top of the dam.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 7:08 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: Broome County Triathlon

2007-07-08 8:53 AM
in reply to: #876073

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Broome County Triathlon
Very fine race report, after taking a look at the overall standings it looks like if you cut just a tad off of that T1 time you so would have taken 2nd OA.. I'm just amazed how you got the chain back on and caught up on that hill, awesome job!
2007-07-08 1:37 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
I was lucky to be able to get the chain on without getting off the bike! Thanks for the comments!
2007-07-08 6:27 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Great race - can't quite believe there was anyone faster on the run to snatch the first 2 places from you - unless you lost it all in T2! Bet they can't hold their pace at longer distances like you though
2007-07-08 6:57 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Awesome race Bob!  Third place overall and 1st in AG with a chain coming off, wow. 

I'm hoping to meet you next week in Geneva.

2007-07-08 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Congrats Bob...way to kick azz and take names! You are truly inspirational!

2007-07-08 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Way to go Bob.  Nice race and RR.  Sounds like they got things togather better this year, except for dead animals.   You had to be screaming hard at your chain.  We should get togather and practice transitions some time. 
2007-07-09 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Fantastic job! Amazing!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Broome County Triathlon Rss Feed