General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Forest Grove, Oregon
United States
AA Sports, LTD
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 26s
Overall Rank = 229/235
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/18
Pre-race routine:

When my alarm went off at 5:00am I was a little confused as to why I set it so early...then I remembered, CRAP! I'm racing today! I was still super tired from all of our activities over the last few weeks and thought about rolling over and spending the rest of the morning in bed. But this is Sandy's last race of the season and I wanted to do it with her. So I got up, ate some oatmeal and started getting dressed. I packed all my bags the night before so all I had to do was throw my bike on the rack and grab my bottle of Heed out of the fridge. I was on the road by 5:45.
Event warmup:

I felt more awake as I pulled into Boat Ramp C at Hagg Lake around 6:30. I picked up my race packet, met up with Sandy and headed in for body marking and set up our transition area. We headed down to the water where I swam out about 30 yards then headed back into shore. Not a long warmup but I figured I'd go out pretty slowly anyway. We came out of the water and chatted with Doug who had gotten in a warmup as well and would be heading out before any of us since he was racing the Olympic distance.
Swim
  • 28m 59s
  • 875 yards
  • 03m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I entered the water I took a few deep breaths and waited for the gun. As soon as the pack took off, I started swimming nice, slow, long strokes. My swim to the first buoy was great. I felt relaxed and, even though I was at the back, I felt calm. After I rounded the first buoy, I caught a wave in the face. Then another. Then another. I had a hard time clearing my airway and had gulped some air which made for a very uncomfortable swim. I flipped over to do backstroke and catch my breath again but the water was really choppy and I just couldn't find my groove again. I rounded the second buoy and started making my way back to shore. I started to feel really nauseous and wondered if I could get back to shore. Pretty soon my hand hit sand and I popped up but didn't feel good at all. I began to think that my race was over. I looked down at my watch to see that it had taken me almost 29 minutes to swim the 1/2 mile. I made my way up to transition with "DNF" swimming around in my head.
What would you do differently?:

I haven't been in the water since the Blue Lake race because of all the traveling and vacations.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

As soon as I got into transition, I went on auto pilot. I couldn't quit. I peeled off my wetsuit, put on my glasses and helmet, socks and shoes and grabbed my bike.
Bike
  • 56m 2s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 13.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I was on the bike course, my heart rate dropped and I took in some Heed to try to get my stomach to settle. I fought waves of nausea but tried to keep a good spin. Before I knew it, I was at the dam then started the descent out of the park to the turn around. Coming up that hill was pretty tough but I concentrated on good technique and tried not to think about how much further we had to go. The next hill that had given me a bit of trouble on my training ride was not bad at all and I started to feel a little better.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Run
  • 37m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was hot and hilly but this is when you get to see your friends and get some words of encouragement. I saw Sandy who high fived me as we passed each other. I hit the turn around and started back to the finish. That's when I saw Doug (DragTheLake) and high fived him as he was making his way out on the 10K. As I came up the hill to the finish, I saw Angela taking pictures and yelling out words of encouragement to everyone that ran by. I think the reason I really like the run portion of the race is because of the comradarie. When you are heading up a hill and having a hard time, there is always someone coming down that tells you to keep it up and gives that little burst that you need to crest the top. You then get to "pay it forward" as you come down the hill and offer those same words to someone working their way up the backside of the hill. At one point I was walking up a portion of a hill and then started to run again. A really fast Olympic racer came up on my right, patted me on the back and said, "That's it, just keep going!"
Post race

Last updated: 2006-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:59 | 875 yards | 03m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/18
Overall: 247/235
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:02 | 12.5 miles | 13.38 mile/hr
Overall: 226/235
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:55 | 03.11 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 236/235
Performance: Good
Course: Hills!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Portland, OR
Subject: Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-07-08 2:49 PM
in reply to: #876249

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Subject: RE: Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Way to keep at it E! Nice race!! I always feel nauseous after an OWS...those darned waves really get me! I have a big mental block with swimming in Hagg Lake...for some reason I panic every time! Great job!
2007-07-08 7:04 PM

Master
portland, or
Nice job, Elektra. I forgot about how choppy the water was. I think the pain of the run erased it from my memory.

We must have passed each other on the run. Doug and I passed each other near the turnaround.

As much as I love doing races at Hagg Lake, that course wipes me out.

scott
2007-07-09 1:35 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
WOO HOO girl!!!! Hagg Lake is a kick course and you did great.

I bet the more you do OWS the better and more comfortable you'll get and then you'll be smoking

Hope to see you up at Klineline soon!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed