Boilermaker 15K Road Race
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 29s
Overall Rank = 6382/10882
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 582/829
Pre-race routine:

I got nervous Saturday morning lying in bed listening to the news out of Syracuse and they started each weather segment by saying how hot it was going to be for the Boilermaker. Subsequently I reached a level of anxiety that I normally don't for races. I am usually fairly relaxed as I know I am MOP so why get worked up. As usual, the weather man was wrong.

Sunday we got up and on the road by 4:30. Took a banana and an english muffin with peanut butter. Drank a gatorade and a couple of bottles of water on the way there. A little side note, usually when you stop at the thruway rest areas, there is no conversations in the mens room. Today, the line went out the door and it was full of runners comparing notes on this race and upcoming races. For some reason I found that funny.
Got to the race site and picked up the chip and the number.
Event warmup:

Stretched some and walked around.
Run
  • 1h 31m 29s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This event has starting corrals for the elites and the top seeded 3000 or so runners. The rest of us are put at the back. The gun went off and we waited, and waited, and they announced the leaders were at mile 1, and we waited and finally started slowly moving. Finally crossed the start line at about the 10 minute mark.

The race organizers have a contest for the various communities along the race to show their support. So through out the entire race there was something going on. DJ's, garage bands, Irish bands, and a couple of people playing bagpipes. People lining the streets on both sides of the road the entire distance cheering and supporting the runners. Very nice!

Tough to get anything going pace wise for well into the 5th mile. It was like a line at disney, 20 people wide trying to run together. Nothing that I didn't expect though. The end of mile 3 and most of mile 4 was a pretty good climb up past a golf course. A couple of the wheel chair folks over heated on this climb. After that it was down hill for the next mile or so, followed by some rolling hills. Up to this point the temp stayed relatively comfortable and the streets were lined with trees. Miles 7, 8, and 9 were through the commercial district and the combination of wide asphalt roads and no trees, the temp started creeping up. Along the course there were folks with garden hose spraying down the runners. This seemed like a good idea at the time, but the last mile or 2 the wet feet started feeling heavy. I guess I'll avoid that next time. There were probably 12 or more water and ice stations on the course so it was easy to stay relatively hydrated, unless you are unable to drink from a dixie cup on the run (like me). Walked the last 2 or 3 water stops as I could tell I was falling behind. Some slight cramping in the feet and calves gave that away.
This was the first race that there were significant numbers of people receiving medical treatment along the course. At least one a mile the last 3 or 4. In my sick mind, I laughed at the last water stop as it was in front of and manned by the staff of the local funeral parlor.
What would you do differently?:

Considering the temp (which was better than I expected), missing some recent workouts with a tender hamstring, and a scheduled tri next weekend, I was happy with my time. I think if I had focused on this race I could have done better, but I accomplished what I had hoped.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the post race party, found Connie, changed shoes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me.

Event comments:

These people have put this race on for 30 years, they have it figured out. It is probably one of the biggest events in Utica so the whole town rally's around it. They had a huge party afterward at the old Utica Club brewery, where they now make Saranac beers. So the beer was free. Unfortunately for me, I passed. They also had Nik and the Nice Guys playing with jumbotron screens showing the awards and the band.

I don't know if they added water stations because of the projected temps or if they always have this many, but there were almost too many. Especially in the first couple of miles. Tough to get by the people stopping to get a drink. But I certainly appreciated them in the second half.

Last updated: 2007-03-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:31:29 | 9.32 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 582/829
Overall: 60382/10882
Performance: Average
Avg HR 163 Max HR 170 Mile 1 - 9.38 min/mile Mile 2 - 9.17 Mile 3 - 9.16 Mile 4 - 10.22 Mile 5 - 8.46 Mile 6 - 9.14 Mile 7 - 10.37 Mile 8 - 9.50 Mile 9 - 10.25 Mile 9.3 - 9.52
Course: Rolling hills through Utica.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 2:23 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Boilermaker 15K Road Race

2007-07-08 3:09 PM
in reply to: #876346

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Boilermaker 15K Road Race

Way to go Ken.  Those big events are very interesting.  The parties sounded better.   Rest up and get ready to tri.  Congrates

2007-07-08 4:37 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Nice Job Ken!! It sounds like a great time. I'll have to look into that one for next year! I lov ethe funeral parlor water stop, I would have had a hard ime not making a comment.

Congrats again, hope to see you at one of the races this year!! 

2007-07-08 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
What a fun race!  I don't know how you could have done better with the obstacle course you ran.  It sounds like you just have to do it for the fun of it and not to get a good time.  Glad you did it and - no complaints about your hamstring, so that's great!!!!
2007-07-08 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Great job on your race - I can't imagine that many thousand people all starting at once - it must be like the pictures I have seen on the news for the London marathon. What an atmosphere that must have been for you.
2007-07-09 11:22 AM

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Good race!

It was my first Boilermaker this year - it is totally different from any other race I've done! I enjoyed it =) It sure lived up to its name though, it was very hot.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boilermaker 15K Road Race Rss Feed