General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Triathlon - North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triangle Triathlon - North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Set-Up, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 47s
Overall Rank = 131/606
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/50
Pre-race routine:

ate a lot the day before carb wise and whatnot. now i have realized that it was just a bit too much. other than that, I dragged my butt out of bed at the crack of dawn & drove over to the race. met up with insideoutman. also met kapinto in body marking area.
Event warmup:

i decided i didn't have enough time for a bike warm up which i really wanted to do. oh well. some day i will eventually warm up effectively. swam a few yards prior to hte swim start.
Swim
  • 12m 39s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

so i got off to a good start keeping with the front pack. then as it thinned out, i got stuck on the outside by myself & work my way back to the group. my sighting was great and i think this was probably the straightest i have ever swum. after rounding the buoy, i found myself stuck between two guys that i couldn't drop. the guy on my left was drifting right and the guy on my right was drifting left. the right side guy was also pulling ahead and then going into a breast stroke. so i kept running into his feet. at one point i accidently popped the dude on my left square in the face and hard. i felt bad, but he did let me pull ahead after that for some reason... i guess he should learn how to swim straight. overall though, the swim went well. i think it was slightly longer than last year b/c i was working it and i didn't make it out of the water any faster than my less aggressive pace last year.
What would you do differently?:

i really felt like i did exactly what i needed to do on the swim course. i just need to get some direction to help sort out a few stroke issues so i can go faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

surprisingly slow in transitions today. but that's why i do these practice races so that i will be ready when my A race comes along.

go faster.
Bike
  • 40m 26s
  • 13.21 miles
  • 19.60 mile/hr
Comments:

this bike course always gives me issues b/c it is almost constant hills and i have zero hills to train with on a regular basis. cadence was my focus. kept it around 110 on any flats and when going down hill. just tried to keep it above 95 on the hills. ended up getting out of the saddle on at least two of the hills. top speed = 41 mph. bottom speed < 10 mph. need to work on that bottom speed on the hills...

bike overall went well. i was aggressive where i think it counted. goal was to average above 20 mph and i pulled that one off. (official bike time includes a minute of running over to the transition area) train for hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

another slow transition. didn't fumble much, just slow to do what i needed to do. practice would be advisable.

go faster.
Run
  • 22m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

i just took it easy here because i have been fighting to keep my legs healthy and injury free so i can start logging some run miles again in prep for my HIM in sept. first mile was ~7:30. second was ~8. last 10/9ths of run was a little quicker just to tie up with my time from the previous year.

i could definitely tell that i have not been running much. though it wasn't hard, it is obvious that i need to put more time into running (an obvious conclusion regardless)
Post race
Warm down:

not much. eat a bagel. drink gatorade. cheer on israel (who did great!) i also met up with kapinto and nuthouse. always nice to meet folks. really stinks i missed everyone else, but what can i say - it was a little crowded!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

no taper. not running much. not in fully good health going into the race. definitely ate too much the day before and morning of. my belly was full the whole race.

Event comments:

well attended race for a reason. very well put together. the only thing holding it back is that the course itself is only average.

Last updated: 2007-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:39 | 820 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/50
Overall: 106/606
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts
Course: out and back triangle sort of shape
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:26 | 13.21 miles | 19.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/50
Overall: 140/606
the bike is considerably shorter than 15 miles. third year that this has bugged me.
Wind: None
Course: three pronged out and backs. seriously hilly from my perspective.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:34 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/50
Overall: 227/606
Course: double loop with a few small rolling hills. generally well shaded.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 3:50 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: Triangle Triathlon - North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9

2007-07-08 5:15 PM
in reply to: #876414

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: RE: Triangle Triathlon - North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9

Dude, nice race!  great swim time, awesome bike, and your easy run was still wicked fast!

Seriously great job!  Let me know when you are ready to log some easy evening run miles.

2007-07-08 9:32 PM
in reply to: #876487

New user

Awesome race B!! That was fun!! You are so fast on the bike, it is incredible!

See you!
2007-07-10 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Great race Brian. Nice meeting you on Sunday.
2007-07-13 6:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
great race there! sorry i didn't get to meet up w/ you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Triathlon - North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 Rss Feed