General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for those who went "couch to triathlete" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-09 3:21 PM
in reply to: #876420

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Subject: RE: Question for those who went "couch to triathlete"
My roommate wanted to do a tri also, but really is not helpful for being tri supportive. I'd try to get her to train, and she didn't want to go, or would be constantly late, etc. Most of my other friends have just been "that's awesome" then glaze over with any details (which is fine....they aren't trigeeks, I understand).

My folks seemed skeptical, but my mom seemed proud of me after my first one. I told her my finishing time, and she said "that's pretty good, isn't it?" Granted, I did a sprint in two hours and three minutes, so it's really not a good time, but I finished with a smile on my face, and that's all that matters!

2007-07-09 11:18 PM
in reply to: #876745

New user

Yesterday was my first tri (a sprint) and I heard my mom tell her friend, "Oh, she did a triathlon, but it like a baby one, a mini."

Like she could go out there and do a single part of what I did. How annoying.
2007-07-10 10:26 AM
in reply to: #878427

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Oy....I can understand the frustration in that one! I did Danskin Chicagoland on Sunday, and some woman was telling her friend how she was doing a mini or half triathlon. I'm not sure if she was trying to put herself down, but I let her know that she was indeed doing a full sprint.....and told her that even in a sprint distance, the pro's finish in about an hour, so that's one hell of a sprint!!
2007-07-10 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska

I went from a complete 20-year slug to tri's last year and to a half marathon this spring.  Don't expect too much from your friends.  You do all of this stuff for you, so keep your friendships "other focused," if you know what I mean. 

I understand that common interests are a factor in lots of relationships, but just because you are newly obsessed with this as a way of life, you can't expect others to jump on board with you and be as enthralled and "supportive."  Heck, I don't even know what being "supportive" of your exercise regime means.  Is that just saying youwant them to be as excited as you are, or as excited about it as you think they should be?  In my view, that is asking too much.  They are either interested in it, or not, but I'm happy if they just don't get in my way.   

Think about how much you like to listen to others' interests, when you don't share them!  I mean, pick something... anything you don't like.  For example, if I had a friend who was interested in collecting, um, those bug-eyed "Precious Moments" figurines, and I had to listen to more than two minutes of it, I'd probably lose it.  If they aren't into it, and will listen politely for two minutes (at some point) about my exercise, that is giving a lot. 

Finally, consider the possibility that your world may have become too narrow if you can't find other things to relate with people you call your friends.  Its up to you to put forth some more effort in being focused on something else so as to make the relationships work. 

2007-07-10 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

I've lost about 105 pounds since I started all this 6 years ago.   

My non-running friends might ask me if I have any races coming up, but I ususally know to keep my answers short.  I don't know how many times I have had to answer the question "how long is that marathon?"  If I want to debate the merits of Yasso 800's versus 1600 meter track intervals I do it with my running friends. 

My first Ironman is coming up in July.  Penticton is about a 4.5 hour drive from home.  I'm expecting a few running friends to be there, and some close family.  Not the non-running friends though. 

Edited by ultramike 2007-07-10 5:17 PM
2007-07-10 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

In some respects, my dive into the world of triathlons has been a wild success in terms of my friends -- over the past three years, I can count almost 10 girls that would NEVER have done a tri if it weren't for me.  I'm proud that I was able to get them out there, even if they haven't become as obsessed as I have about the sport.

On the other hand, I too have (had?) a couple of close friends who just don't get it.  They get upset when I don't go out to the bars all the time.  I really, really want them to come out and watch me compete just once or twice, but it's too early in the morning for them.  I don't need for them to jump into the sport, I'd just love for them to show some interest in ME.  One of them is into martial arts (something that doesn't interest me a whole lot), but I make an effort to go see her compete though she doesn't return the favor.  Just makes me realize that probably the biggest thing we had in common was drinking....  I miss them, but it's probably the way it was meant to work out.

And - now because of BT I have some GREAT new friends!  People who can talk all day about tris and not get bored.    People who, when I say, "hey, what do you think about going doing 60 miles on the bike and then doing a quick 45 minute run", don't think I'm completely wacko!

2007-07-11 8:20 AM

User image

New user

Baltimore, MD
I'm lucky in that most of my friends and family have been very supportive and encouraging. Some have even talked about training for a tri as well, although they always say they'll start "next year."

However, while I couldn't have done this without such a great support system, having encouraging friends is different from having *participating* friends. The thing I've found a bit disappointing is how hard it's been for me to meet other beginner triathletes. I'm one of those people who gets intimidated about going into new situations without knowing anyone, so the idea of just showing up by myself at a tri training club/running group/etc. scares me. I'm otherwise a very friendly, social person, though, so I'd love to have some friends with whom to share the experience.

I think I've come to the right place--this site is full of warm, encouraging people who've all "been there." Now I just have to find a way to meet some tri friends out here in Baltimore! It'd be really helpful on those days where I'd much rather curl up with a book than get out and hit the road.
2007-07-11 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Everyone's busy, most people have their own concerns, plus I think many people have no clue what a triathlon is all about. To expect your friends to share your enthusiasm, when maybe they are still on the couch, seems to be expecting too much. They may not really be interested, I have to admit I would not go to watch a friend's triathlon. It is your thing, not theirs'. Just enjoy your own journey, don't expect accolades from others.
2007-07-11 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO
Do you have a Tri club in your area?  Since we've joined our local club we have made some incredible friends, and none of them think we're crazy and they all speak the language
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for those who went "couch to triathlete" Rss Feed  

of 2