CGI Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 49s
Overall Rank = 325/669
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 14/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke the kids at 5:00AM and popped a DVD in the car. Kept our fingers crossed that they would behave. I ate a PB+J ona roll and had the same trouble trying to choke it down. I think it's time to switch to Ensure for race day breakfast.
Event warmup:

Minimal. Set up transition, jumped in the river to cool off.
Swim
  • 12m 25s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I hate swimming with a wetsuit. I don't feel comfortable with it (wierd with my scuba backround) and if the water is even remotely warm, I'm not using it again. I was in wave 7 of 9 and came out ok. I passed a bunch in wave 6 and was only a minute or so behind my swim buddy.
What would you do differently?:

Ditch the wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

My fears almost came true. My suit got stuck on my timing chip and I almost fell over with the rack of bikes... I went sockless too, turned out not to be an issue. I forgot my GU though, and was kinda annoyed.

Make sure my timing chip is UNDER the wetsuit that I don't plan to wear again.
Bike
  • 53m 51s
  • 17 miles
  • 18.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I am happy with my bike leg. I was one of few on a tri bike so it felt nice to finally pass people on the bike. Even though the ones I passed were on mountain bikes, touring bikes, road bikes. At one point there were 3 of us riding together sort of leap-frogging (BUT NOT DRAFTING)and a ref rode past and gave me "the eye". I moved over very quickly so as to not give the slightest impression that we were working together. For me, an average speed of 18.9 (19.2 by my computer) is good by me. I may have pushed it a bit hard too hard though.

Watch my HR closer to make sure I don't over-exert. Also I ran out of liquid too early and didn't have a drink to finish up my ride. By the time I hit T2, I was totally parched.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

OK, broke the cardinal rule of racing and tried something new today. I felt good and fast so I decided to run sockless. I've never done it before, ever. Why I decided to try it today, I don't know...

Nothing
Run
  • 37m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

About 1/2 mile out of transition I was cursing myself for skipping socks. I could feel the blisters starting. On top of that, my legs felt like lead and I was starting to cramp up. It was hot, I was angry and I did alot of walking. Entirely too much for a 5K. Man, my feet were killing me. obviously my nutrition plan was off too because I couldn't cool down even with the water and HEED on the course. I took a GU, and that almost made it worse with my gummy mouth. I can honestly say that was the longest and most unpleasant 5K I have ever run.

Wear socks, jackass. Pack extra enduralites for hot days and make a spare nutrition bottle in case things go wrong???
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with the family and drank lots of water, soda, and water ice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run. That's nothing new... I also think if I had better nutrition on the bike I may have set myself up better. Oh, and I promise never to go sockless again.

Event comments:

You got a nice finishers medal and cheesy TYR gear bag. They had french toast, soda, water ice and all the normal food goodies afterward. The only thing I didn't like was that they could have combined the waves some so that the last wave wasn't 45 minutes after the first. I started 35 minutes after the first whistle.

Last updated: 2007-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:25 | 820 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 75/669
Performance: Average
Suit: QR full suit
Course: Point to point downstream. The worst part was the swim exit. you had to go up a steep sandy incline to T1.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:51 | 17 miles | 18.94 mile/hr
Overall: 0/669
Performance: Good
HR climbed to the low 170s but stayed around 166 mostly. Kinda high for me.
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops around Martin Luther King DR to Falls Bridge to Kelly Drive to Art Museum. Total of 17.1 miles
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:57 | 03.11 miles | 12m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 0/669
Performance: Bad
HR in the mid-high 160s.
Course: Out and back along Martin Luther King Dr. It was hot, sunny and exposed. Minimal shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Subject: Philadelphia Women's Triathlon

2007-07-08 8:37 PM
in reply to: #876592

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Women's Triathlon
Fun race. Good job.
2007-07-09 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Hey Beth!  I think I met you in the transition area (?)  I was doing a relay with my friend (I did the swim and bike).  Let me know if I have the right person. 

Regardless, you did a great job - you were mad fast on the swim!! Wow.  Same with th ebike, and I know I would have been walking in that heat if I were doing the running. It was CRAZY hot.  Give yourself props for hanging tough !!

-Jen

2007-07-09 10:08 AM
in reply to: #877020

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Congratulations, and well done!  Especially after coming off the Oly two weeks ago.

I personally like sockless running, but it does take some getting use to.  

2007-07-09 10:20 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Great job!  Very nice swim even with the wetsuit discomfort.  I'm still not sure why they didn't set up the run to head away from the Art Museum where you ladies would have at least had some shade from the sun.  You just bake the direction they sent you.  Still, great job overall!
2007-07-09 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
great job... great swim, sorry to hear about the blisters i know they hurt like heck.  It was nice meeting you as well.

2007-07-10 7:36 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
did you just call yourself a jacka$$?  LOL!  Great race Beth!  You rock!

Edited by COgirl 2007-07-10 7:36 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed