6:15 Set up
Event warmup:

Don the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 10m 26s
  • 583 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall swim wasn't terrible, but certainly not up to par nor what I am capable of achieving. Navigation and rhythm seemed to be the main problems.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Lost my sunglasses and couldn't find them right away. Probably took 10-15 seconds.

Ensure that the sunglasses were securely attached to my helmet.
Bike
  • 39m 58s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Lots of good bikers at this race. I would have been very happy with this speed last year at this time. I will rate this bike segment as below my ability but not horrible.

????
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

Shoes didn't go on easily. I am always amazed at the folks that completely stop on their bike to dismount RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DISMOUNT AREA. I have learned to use caution.
Run
  • 23m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

My run really stunk today. My running has been very inconsistent this year. I had a pretty good run last week at Minneman, but really sucked this morning.

I seemed to have a 30 yard SPRINT available at the end when someone tried to pass. Am I a head case? Is there something I should be doing differently in training? Maybe some of you runners that check my RR could examine my logs and give me a bit of advice?

HELP!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I usually don't lie down at the finish, but I did today. When I recovered, I went to the lake to cool down. Man did that feel great!

Had a nice chat with several folks.

Nice to meet you freckleface! Great positive attitude.

I will have to fear you in the near future nathane!

jpw, I don't know what to say other than I am very impressed with your improvement this year. Your bike time today was amazing!

Event comments:

I like this race, but the post race was looooooong.

Last updated: 2007-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:26 | 583 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/69
Overall: 32/278
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:53
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:58 | 15 miles | 22.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/69
Overall: 23/278
Wind: Little
Course: Neat, twisting, cornering and light rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:31 | 03.1 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/69
Overall: 46/278
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. Generaly flat and partially shaded
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Subject: Graniteman Triathlon

2007-07-09 10:46 AM
in reply to: #876678

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Graniteman Triathlon
Nice race!
2007-07-09 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

Looking at the results across the board, I don't think anyone had that great of a run. Haha but then again I could just be trying to console myself about my awful performance.

It was great to meet you too! Hopefully I'll see you at more races!

2007-07-09 9:51 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Great job!! It was nice meeting up with you again!! That run was miserable, but I think we all thought the same Keep up the great work on the training and with your other upcoming races!! See you in DL!!
2007-07-09 9:51 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Great job!! It was nice meeting up with you again!! That run was miserable, but I think we all thought the same Keep up the great work on the training and with your other upcoming races!! See you in DL!!
2007-07-10 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
It was good to see you again, although I didn't expect to see you where I did on the run...

After talking with you, I think you had a great attitude about this race.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about your running. You know what you're doing, and there is always limited training time. I think, for the most part, you use and do what you can with what you have.

After saying all that, and since you asked, I'm just going to throw this out there: (Standard disclaimers apply: I'm no coach, and I usually subscribe to the "listen to my body" type of training.)

I see you getting in the long runs, and you're getting in the intervals. If you had more time available, I would try to get in some medium length runs where you start slow and then after 10 minutes you slowly ratchet your pace up over the next 20 minutes until you go above race pace. Hold that for 10 minutes, and then cool down easy.

I try to juggle the schedule, and I don't get in as much mileage as I would like, and I rarely get bricks in. Part of why I tri is to avoid the constant run pounding and injuries that come with it. So far, so good. But, I think, to really speed up the run, the mileage has to increase...

2007-07-10 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
I just compared my results for this year's race to the race I did two years ago.

My times were virtually identical! My bike was 2 minutes faster, but my run was 2 minutes slower
  • .. very similar to the Chain of Lakes race this year. I also note that my impression of how the race went was similar to two years ago. Might be time to check the logs to see what is going on.

• I did just come off an excellent race a week prior, even though my overall run was not exactly what I wanted.

My "A" races are 5-6 weeks in the future. Maybe I should stay the course and rely on my existing plan?
    2007-07-10 10:06 AM
    in reply to: #878839

User image

Expert
    Minnesota
    jpw - 2007-07-09 9:37 PM

It was good to see you again, although I didn't expect to see you where I did on the run...

After talking with you, I think you had a great attitude about this race.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about your running. You know what you're doing, and there is always limited training time. I think, for the most part, you use and do what you can with what you have.

After saying all that, and since you asked, I'm just going to throw this out there: (Standard disclaimers apply: I'm no coach, and I usually subscribe to the "listen to my body" type of training.)

I see you getting in the long runs, and you're getting in the intervals. If you had more time available, I would try to get in some medium length runs where you start slow and then after 10 minutes you slowly ratchet your pace up over the next 20 minutes until you go above race pace. Hold that for 10 minutes, and then cool down easy.

I try to juggle the schedule, and I don't get in as much mileage as I would like, and I rarely get bricks in. Part of why I tri is to avoid the constant run pounding and injuries that come with it. So far, so good. But, I think, to really speed up the run, the mileage has to increase...

That is the kind of advice that I am looking for! Thanks for taking the time to check my logs. I think that I will try to apply your advice in the coming weeks. Do you think that I need a 10 mile run if the longest race I intend to do is an oly? BTW Detroit Lakes is my target race this year.

You and I will get an idea of how things work by the Nevis race.
    2007-07-10 10:18 AM
    in reply to: #878894

User image

Regular
    Central Minnesota
    B-One - 2007-07-10 9:54 AM

My "A" races are 5-6 weeks in the future. Maybe I should stay the course and rely on my existing plan?

Since the A races are coming up, and you probably built your plan for that, not a bad idea at all. I know you really smoked it at Northwoods last year, and that was probably according to plan. Everyone goes up and down...

There is 1 more thing to add, and that is the Mental side. Some of us do these, because we enjoy the competition and seeing how we stack up with other people. I hope you don't take this the wrong way... When you are having a bad day, or think you are, you can sometimes make it a self-fulfilling prophesy for the rest of the race. In reality, maybe the competition is having a really good day, and we need to expect that as well. I think this is just human nature, and we all need to learn to fight it.
    2007-07-10 12:24 PM
    in reply to: #878959

User image

Expert
    Minnesota
    jpw - 2007-07-09 10:18 PM

B-One - 2007-07-10 9:54 AM

Since the A races are coming up, and you probably built your plan for that, not a bad idea at all. I know you really smoked it at Northwoods last year, and that was probably according to plan. Everyone goes up and down...

There is 1 more thing to add, and that is the Mental side. Some of us do these, because we enjoy the competition and seeing how we stack up with other people. I hope you don't take this the wrong way... When you are having a bad day, or think you are, you can sometimes make it a self-fulfilling prophesy for the rest of the race. In reality, maybe the competition is having a really good day, and we need to expect that as well. I think this is just human nature, and we all need to learn to fight it.

You are probably right about the mental part. Interestingly enough, you are not the first person to tell me that either. I had a negative attitude coming in. I didn't feel too positive during the swim nor the bike, although they weren't that bad. Part of me thinks that I just gave up on the run and rode it out. I should quit worrying about others and do my race.

Another mental thing for me seems to be that many of the racers that I have been chasing in years past are not racing this year. My focus seems to have gone from trying to catch those guys to staying ahead of you guys. I've gone from offense to defense. Guys like you, Bill Corcoran and others are coming up fast, which is great to see, but I need to refocus on the racers that I want to catch.

Aint it great that there are several of us worried about you?
    2007-07-10 1:12 PM
    in reply to: #878929

User image

Regular
    Central Minnesota
    B-One - 2007-07-10 10:06 AM

Do you think that I need a 10 mile run if the longest race I intend to do is an oly? BTW Detroit Lakes is my target race this year.

You and I will get an idea of how things work by the Nevis race.

Yes, absolutely. I think a 90-minute run would be where you would want to max out. And this isn't an "all out, see what I can do" run either. I would first do the 90, where you are relaxed and comortable (relatively). If it has some hills, all the better. If there are enough weeks available, then I would do a 90, where you had the middle 30 be at or just below what you want your race pace to be.

I need to get back to that 90 and more myself. Especially if I stick to my plan to do Square Lake.

2007-07-11 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
    Lakeville, MN

Even though you aren't overlly impressed with your results take a look at what you have acomplished...biking faster by 2 minutes over that short of a distance is a HUGE victory.  I think the heat played a large factor in a lot of people's races, becasue it did not look like many people smoked the run. 

Looking at your logs leading up to this race there is nothing that is standing out as the possible issue.  I would agree with John in saying that the middle distance and long distance runs are needed in order to become faster.

I think it was you who reminded me that sometimes we learn more when we fail, then when we succeed.  And as far as motivation and catching those ahead of you, I wouldn't worry about the guys who dropped the racing...you are still doing it and that is all that counts...it is just time to find another target!  

Use this race as your motivation to kick some serious in Bemidji!!

2007-07-11 7:50 AM
    in reply to: #880560

User image

Expert
    Minnesota
    benihana - 2007-07-10 7:17 PM

Even though you aren't overlly impressed with your results take a look at what you have acomplished...biking faster by 2 minutes over that short of a distance is a HUGE victory. I think the heat played a large factor in a lot of people's races, becasue it did not look like many people smoked the run.

Looking at your logs leading up to this race there is nothing that is standing out as the possible issue. I would agree with John in saying that the middle distance and long distance runs are needed in order to become faster.

I think it was you who reminded me that sometimes we learn more when we fail, then when we succeed. And as far as motivation and catching those ahead of you, I wouldn't worry about the guys who dropped the racing...you are still doing it and that is all that counts...it is just time to find another target!

Use this race as your motivation to kick some serious in Bemidji!!

Thanks.

I am trying not to draw too much from the Graniteman race. I am going to try to add some more tempo runs either in my long day or on another mid length day.

Not sure if I will actually race in Bemidji. This is the race that is at the bottom of my priority list and not interrupting training may take precedence. However, it is looking more and more like I will race. I may concentrate my efforts on the run portion of the race and not worry about the swim nor bike. I have to assess this in the coming days.
    2007-07-11 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
    Lakeville, MN
    I would reccomend just training right through the race if it is at the bottom of your priority list.  If you have already registered for it, use it as a gage on where you are at, and as a hard training day
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Graniteman Triathlon Rss Feed