Outback Events Event Management
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 31m 12s
Overall Rank = 343/408
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and had bad luck. Tim Hortons was not working so had to go to 711.
No bagel. Just a triple threat. Then Ronin and I went to find some parking. Got the transition set up and could not find a pump that would work. But I had pumped my tires up last night to 140 so should be ok.
Forgot water bottle so had to use regular water with screw lid. Took a jel at 0630.
Event warmup:

quick swim around nothing major, then found my place for the swim.
Swim
  • 45m 20s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim, lots of mill foil on the bottom. And it was getting green. Overall not a bad lake for the desert.
What would you do differently?:

Train with my new wetsuit.
Get some strenght in the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

LONG TRANSITION. I mean LONG.
My suit got stuck on my heels and the strippers could not get it off. I had to do it. GREAT!

BODY GLIDE
Bike
  • 3h 50m 21s
  • 90 kms
  • 23.44 km/hr
Comments:

WOW! This course started out on a hill, then went to a bigger hill followed by some huge rollers. Well just to top that off, going up richter pass there was a head wind, when I had some down hill I was still pedaling hard to make up time. And was like doing24k. Got some good speed coming down the backside of richter though. Wind was there most of the way then headed back from barcelo and was doing really well 36-42k until the rollers. It seemed that the wind turned around and was blowing the other way. I was pissed. I worked hard against the wind coming here and you have no right to change when I come back. Headed up to Nighthawk aid station and PUKED up my gel pack at the 3rd station. YES race plan is coming together. Headed up the back side of richter with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth but managed to hold down some water. SOmething is wrong with my bike. I was hearing a ping and now some sort of grinding. Came down richter at around 68k and was passing the people that passed me up the hills, not all of them though.

HIT THE GYM FOR LEG POWER!!
I HAVE NO POWER!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Took my time, I knew I was not going to win a prize by having the fastest transition.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 55m 31s
  • 21 kms
  • 08m 22s  min/km
Comments:

What run. Ok ok, I started out good, felt like it would be hard but nothing I could not handle. Then, the heat hit. My head felt like it was going to explode and my hands were starting to swell. My heartrate was astrinomical and I started coughing out phlem like it was going out of style. My ribs were sore from coughing so much. But I kept trying to run when I felt I was feeling better. First loop was hard but it just kept getting harder. With no wind in town and the sun was beating down on me. I was thinking I just need to keep moving. Aidstations had ice and sponges..GODSEND. A nice lady paced me for awhile and I was so thankful. It actually helped. I would have died if she did not come around. I got a big hug from her at the end. Came around the corner and started running got to the aid station and....PUKED....YEAH! Talk about your race plan going to tee! Well That got many people asking lots of questions..I AM OK. YES, I AM GOING TO FINISH. THANKS. I NEED SOME WATER. YES I AM OK.
Very concerned people. Then with the final 400 Meters I said I am going to finish running and with my chest hurting from the coughing and my nipples chaffed I mustered up all the remaining energy I had and jogged in. I was so Happy to to see the race director give me my medal. I called him some bad names and we laughed. It was good.

Train for stupid heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and try to get out of the sun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

TRAINING! I will say right now that you can not have a great race on 6 weeks of training. You can have a good race and a fun race but not a great one.

Event comments:

I HAD A GREAT TIME!
I know your thinking but you had a bad race...yeah but the volunteers and the race director and racing with my friend were great. EXPERIANCE IS THE BEST. If you ask me, I won't say that it was easy. IT was HARD and I think this has made me a stronger athlete. I know I have the BALLS to finish a race when I feel Like dropping out and even my mental state was saying it.
GREAT RACE EXPERIANCE

Last updated: 2007-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:20 | 2000 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 301/408
Performance: Below average
Bad swim, could not get a rythm. Felt out of breath. I do not think my cold was fuly gone. But I was swimming and hitting people and getting hit. Nice work I think.
Suit: 2xU Comp 1
Course: Counter Clockwise. Smart, you could see the bouys and no sun in your eyes.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:50:21 | 90 kms | 23.44 km/hr
Overall: 339/408
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Well, lets just say that this is the toughest course in Canada.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:55:31 | 21 kms | 08m 22s  min/km
Overall: 358/408
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat easy course with plenty of aid stations to help you on the way.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: Desert Half Iron

2007-07-09 10:43 AM
in reply to: #876944

User image

Subject: RE: Desert Half Iron

BWAHAHAH!  Oh yes, your race plan DID come true!! 

Glad you finished and learned some lessons.  Hey, at least you got 'er done!

Now rest up, then get training! You've got an Ironman to do! 

2007-07-09 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Way to tough it out - sounds like a very hard course!  Congrats!
2007-07-09 4:32 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Good to hear you had a great time in spite of all the problems. I hope your bike is OK; did you find out what was making the noises? I'm guessing that, at the top of the RR, you meant to record a temperature of 34C instead of 34F. Nice work finishing a tough one! Congratulations!
2007-07-09 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Good job on finishing a tough race! It was definitely not an easy day out there or an easy course! I was looking at a thermometer later and it was showing 36-37 degrees celcius around 4pm. That loop out along Lakeshore was killer with the sun and the heat and to put those hills on the other side (along Oleander) was just mean! Oh well, job well done!
2007-07-09 10:11 PM

User image

Nice work Crazypop. I heard it was a killer day with the heat and terrain. Just to finish would not have been easy. Congrats!!

2007-07-09 11:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-10 7:49 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-10 10:59 AM

Veteran
Awesome race report, Crazypop!  Way to dig down deep and puke finish!!  Not an easy task with heat like that on race day.  On to Ironman!!
2007-07-11 7:06 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Thanks everyone. It was a really hard race and it was awesome.
Hope that I can do it again one day and kick it in the arse.

Bike is still at home as I took of to Saskatchewan the next day.
Going to take it apart and lube it everywhere and hope its nothing serious. LIKE A CRACKED FRAME!!(sorry Chris could not resist)

Thanks again and now I need to step up the training!
2007-07-11 7:17 PM

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta

LMAO....OMG. I can't believe you finished given the circumstances!! Way to go!!!!!

I was laughing so hard reading your report, 'cuz it was bringing back VIVID memories of the agony from that race last year. Lol...the sponge angels were gifts from god!

And I especially love your positive attitude!! Great job!

2008-01-24 1:34 AM

Master
Port Moody, BC
I can't believe I missed this RR! I had no idea you did this race. bummer, oh well great report and a big congrats to you for a big finish! are you going to try it again this year?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Desert Half Iron Rss Feed