Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 30s
Overall Rank = 27/90
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had a blueberry muffin and some propel. Showered, packed up my stuff, and went to check-out of the hotel.

Event warmup:

Walked around. Ran about 5 minutes. Went down to the lake to check out the swim start. It looks a lot further than it is. It was about 1/8 of a mile from the transition area. So I decided to leave my extra shoes next to the swim exit. Put on the wetsuit, went down and swam about 200 yards just to get the blood flowing.
Swim
  • 12m 36s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a time trial start, so I went out hard, started swimming as soon as I felt my arms wouldn't touch the ground. Caught the guy in front of me pretty quick. This swim was pretty smooth. I had a little lapse in concentration right after the first turn, but when I made the second buoy, I put my head down, found a good pace and pushed it the rest of the way. I must have passed about 5 people (remember only 90 here) throughout the swim. My wife said I came out of the water in about 9:30 which is what I was hoping for. It then stumbled all over the place trying to put my shoes on. I didn't like getting my HR up so high running the distance to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe learn to breath bilaterally. Also need to increase distance. I can do this no problem, but I could come out of the water fresher.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

T2 was a struggle. I need to work on this some. Maybe next year. :)

Get my wet suit off faster and get my socks on quicker. I just didn't seem to move well as I was catching my breath from the run
Bike
  • 41m 35s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.20 mile/hr
Comments:

This was an o.k. bike for me. My watch had problems, so I didn't know my speed. I drove the course so I had an o.k. idea of where I needed to push it. Going out I felt o.k. but knew at the turn around I had too much left in the tank, so I really picked it up and flew back. I took about 20 min going out and 16 coming back in. This course is pretty easy, with a few rolling hills. I though they did a great job with all the voluteers.

Push harder and train harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Well they don't have my time for this. It turns out that the fact that there were two of us leaving at exactly the same time screwed up the chip. So we don't have a run or t2 time.

I'm guessing 1 minute.

This was a fast transition. And I caught one person on the way out of T2.

Nothing I think this would have been a very fast transition.
Run
  • 26m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good on this run. Only 3 people passed me and they were all inthe 20-25 age group. This may have been a function of how we all started but who knows. I did pass one person in my age group. Probably made the diference between 2nd and 3rd. I was very happy with this run as last year all my runs were in the 9 minute mile range and I know I can go sub 8. This got me close and may have been sub 8. Since I don't know my t2 time this is a guess.

Train more. Do more bricks. It seems to take me a while to get used to running off the bike. I know it gets better with practice.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, got some water and packed up my area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. It always comes down to finding enough time to train right. But this is a hobby and I'll gladdly give up time to spend with my daughter and wife.

Event comments:

This is a very well run race. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good easy and fun race. This is only in the second year. They have both a pool and lake swim to choose from, and the volunteers did an excellent job.

Last updated: 2007-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:36 | 547 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 44/90
Performance: Good
This time includes about a 2 minute run from the swim exit to the transition area. I guess they didn't know how far it was going to be and didn't bring an extra mat.
Suit: Zoot Suit F2
Course: This was a rectangle course going counter clockwise. Which sucks for me because I breath to the right.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:35 | 14 miles | 20.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 22/90
Wind: Little
Course: This was an out and back course. It was well marked and every (and I do mean every intersection had at least 3 voluteers and 2 police officers directing traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:17 | 03.11 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/90
Course: This was a good pretty flat course. Mostly sidewalks and paved trails. Water on the course every mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon

2007-07-10 11:30 AM
in reply to: #877030

Timnath Colorado,
Subject: RE: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon

Good race. Sorry we didn't hook up at some point either Saturday at check-in, or on Sunday. I thought the whole thing was very well organized and will absolutely be looking forward to it next year (I need to redeme myself for my crappy swim this year).

2007-07-13 10:15 PM
in reply to: #877030

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon
Great race Dan! Cant wait to hear about it...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed