Dallas Athletes
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 2s
Overall Rank = 66/210
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, grabbed the grub I'd set out the night before and heated up some coffee.
Event warmup:

quick walk back to the car for the wrist band I'd left there. Waited in long line for port-a-potty.
Run
  • 14m 50s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This being my first du, since the swim was cancelled due to the upstream city fouling the water, I really didn't know what to expect. When the wave went off, I got caught up in the moment and the speed. My first pace check revealed sub 7s. Way too fast. I backed off some, but not enough. Then, when the Olympics met up with the sprinters and the road became very congested, I maintained my fast pace.
What would you do differently?:

Be true to my committment to run slower, keeping something in reserve for the end of the event. I had planned on running mid 8s and wound up mid 7s.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

this was a speedy transition for me, but a little on the high side of my AG. I felt pretty good after the quick run.

I probably lost time tying my shoes. Looks like I'll be getting some Yankz or something soon.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 51s
  • 23.5 miles
  • 20.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, I got swept up in the competitiveness of the moment. I screamed out of the park, passing people all the way and going uphill in the 23-25 mph range. The turn to the main road was fine but the chip seal roughness began to take its toll, although not enough to adjust. Having ridden this part of the course a week prior, I knew that smooth road was coming up. I pushed the first 12 miles pretty hard, passing many and only being passed by a few. There was one large dude, but gorilla strong and each time I'd get almost by him on a climb, he'd hang with me and go flying by on the downhill. He had poor etiquette, though, and I had to yell at him to move off the yellow center line so I could pass on the left. I briefly caught DocShock, but he passed me back and was gone. Then SportySue cruised by and didn't even say hi. I called out to her, we exchanged hellos and later, on a hill, I passed her back. She would have taken me again, but the Olympic course diverged shortly thereafter and she didn't get the chance. Here's where things went a bit haywire. After the turn and the bumping and grinding with the sprinters was over, I realized I'd burned a lot of energy and still had around 12 to go on a part of the course unfamiliar to me. I had always planned on refueling at this time so I got into my bento box and took out a pack of jelly beans. With one sweaty hand and my teeth, I attempted to open the packet. Dang if the thing didn't tear right, leaving no hole to push them through. It remained sealed. After some effort, all while trying now to maintain 15-17 mph (gradual climb, rough road), I abandoned the beans for a gu, only it wasn't a gu, it was a clif shot. I have now violated rule number one - don't try anything new on race day. I had never had a clif shot (and still never have) as the same thing happened; I couldn't tear it open. It too was thrown back in the box and now, thoroughly frustrated, I fished out the dried mango I had fortunately packed. The clif bar didn't sound good, so it stayed sheathed. I chewed on a couple of mango slices and had some water and kept on going. I did manage to get my speed back up near 20 (and faster on the downhills), but the bumps of the county road, the gradual incline (seemed there was alot more of that than downhills), and the lack of nutrition gradually took their toll. I still wound up coming in under my goal time, though.

Not be in such a damn hurry and accept the fact that it's OK to let other bikes pass, especially when they may be sprinters and you've got a lot longer to go. Also, pre-open anything I might eat on the ride.
Do I need aero bars?
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

I thought this was a pretty quick transition, but not after looking at my AG. I was more than 30 seconds slower than the guy who finished only 15 seconds ahead of me. I did fart around wondering whether I should grab somethign for the run. I grabbed the aforementioned unopened jelly beans from the bento box and stuffed them in my shirt. That probably cost me some time right there.

If I'm going to eat in this transistion, have it ready to go.
Run
  • 58m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch! This run hurt. I did a pretty good job of staying in the mid 8s to low 9s in the first mile or so, but as soon as we hit the chip seal road, exposed to the sun, wind and what felt like desolation, I was forced to back off. I think the failure to refuel was beginning to set in, as were various muscles threatening to mutiny. And this is in only mile 2-3. Also, the turn was nowhere to be seen (i.e. no light at the end of the tunnel) and it felt so far away. It was just a grind out there. The turn offered hydration (accellerade) and water. It was thick and didn't taste good. I actually stopped for a brief moment to water down the goop before grabbing a second water and heading toward home. By now, all of my pace goals were out the window and I stopped checking the Garmin. I drank the goop and a bit of water before pouring the rest on my head. I shoved the extra ice down my shirt for a little extra cooling. Didn't seem to help at the time, but I'm sure it did. The run back to the park entrance felt interminable. I was in a zone and not a good one. Nothing was interesting anymore, not even the people running by. I felt like I was getting slower by the step, but that I had to keep running because walking meant being out there even longer. Finally, as the muscles on the upper inside of my knees were beginning to really hurt, I made the turn back into the park. Now, it's mostly all downhill. Still, I felt like each step was slower than the last. At the water station at mile 5, I had more goop and water and made the decision that it was ok to walk a bit. The knee area muscles were crying out (both of them, now) and I walked some of the uphill portion. I again poured as much water as I could spare over my head. I ran as I could, but walked a bit more in the next little uphill stretch to the lady with the shower hose. That was awesome and, knowing it was really all down hill from there, I began running again. Alas, the legs were really hurting and I felt like Frankenstein dragging my left leg forward each time I had to move it. About a 1/4 mile away I had to walk again. I was really thinking I might walk it all the way in, but a dude ran by and said not to let it beat me. That was enough motivation to knuckle down and drag my sorry ass across the finish line. As for those jellybeans? Still unopened today.

Fuel up on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

I hit the water and hydration drinks hard. Water over head, hydration drinks (anything I could get my hands on) in the body. This lasted for about 10 minutes at least as I walked around in a daze. I found a few BTers (DocShock, among others) and we regrouped together. I didn't hear anyone say they had a good run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

going out too fast on the first run and the first 1/2 of the bike, I think, really hurt me at the end. Of course, my ill-fated wrestling matches with those little packets of fuel didn't help, either.

Event comments:

Overall, it was a good event and the staff and volunteers worked hard. I missed the swim (really!) but understand and appreciate why it was cancelled. They could have used more port-a-potties.
I second DodgersMom - they should have moved the turn drink station to somewhere where we could have hit it twice.

Last updated: 2007-06-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:50 | 02 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/19
Overall: 66/210
Performance: Good
Course: gradual uphill to turn around, then back down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:09:51 | 23.5 miles | 20.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/19
Overall: 65/210
Performance: Good
HR in the 160s.
Wind: Some
Course: gradual hills, with a couple steep climbs. The first 12 miles were pretty smooth. The rest of the olympic ride was chip-seal rough and then a really bumpy county road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:32 | 06.21 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/19
Overall: 82/210
Performance: Below average
high HR 160s-170s
Course: uphill out of the park to the same rough road we rode on to the turn. Then back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Disco Triathlon

2007-07-09 1:47 PM
in reply to: #877630

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon

Great job toughing out the run.  As you said, I don't think it was pretty for anybody.

It was nice to meet you after the race.  Congrats!

2007-07-09 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Great race, Doug.  It was good to meet you.  Sorry you had problems with your nutrition.  Try to practice your nutrition in training and it'll become old hat.  Also, I'd agree that you should invest in some Yankz or other elastic shoes laces.

That run was so brutal, wasn't it!  I was poured a ton of water over my head too when I finished.  

2007-07-09 2:27 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
YIPPEE...You finished!  Next time, follow your plan!  Practice what you preach!  Don't give in to peer pressure!  You're your own man!  Good Job on the race, DB.  The weather's been wickedly hot and humid.  Keep training for October's HIM.  Are you bringing the jellybeans for El Scorcho??? 
2007-07-09 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Maybe you should have listened to your wife about running 8 min miles or slower on the first 2 miles, but I don't want to say "I told you so!" Oops, did I just say that? Seriously now, considering that your overall time on the bike for 2007 is 20 hrs and 300 someodd miles, while mine is 700, you should be proud of your time. Just think of what you could do with some hard core training under your belt!
2007-07-09 11:26 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
way to dig deep on the run.. I can never get gu's or any of those packages open, I'll actually cut them before a race a little bit to help out

2007-07-09 11:35 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
I did listen, I just didn't execute.  Good lesson learned.
2007-07-10 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
When you get to the point of not even being interested in people-watching, that is a serious beat-down. You did a great job of gutting it out. Now, time to focus on Longhorn.
2007-07-10 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Way to gut it out!  Sorry Shannon and I didn't do the Oly so you could have more intersting things to look at on the run!
2007-07-10 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

despite the difficulties, overall it seemed like a good race.  Certainly not bad considering you trained for a tri and ended racing a DU.

So, what's you plan for those jell beans?

2007-07-10 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Nice job gutting throught that suffer-fest of a second run.  And your average on the bike was 20.2 with no aerobars and minimal bike time?!?  Wow.  Great job!

2007-07-10 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I'll echo what everyone else said. Way to gut it out on the run. Pretty amazing your bike average was so high given what others have already said. Gutting out hard runs is the best part of the sport. Having the wife give you an I told you so, priceless.
2007-07-11 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great to see you, Doug! Super job on your race and beating the heat on the run! At least Longhorn will be cooler!

I still need to find out from Kelley (Mom23) were she booked us in Austin and I'll let you guys know soon!
2007-07-15 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Doug - Sounds like this was brutal and you overcame lots of mental battles to even stay in the game.  Thanks for so clearly articulating what you went through.  I'm sure all of us will have similar experiences and it helps to know some one else has "been there" and "done that."  Its inspiring to hear how you overcame a tough day.  It wasn't a bad race, just a good learning experience.  You did great!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Rss Feed