General Discussion Race Reports! » Padden Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Padden Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bellingham, Washington
United States
City of Bellingham
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 53s
Overall Rank = 79/174
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/27
Pre-race routine:

I drove up to stay at my aunt's house in Sumas the night before. One thing that makes this race one of my favorites is the fact that it starts at 1pm. I tried to sleep in as late as possible but I ended up waking at around 7. I took a shower and lounged around for a bit. I decided to get to the race pretty early so I could watch the competitive race for a little while. I stopped at Haggen's on the way to pick up a little breakfast and headed to Lake Padden. I got there at around 10 and even got a parking spot fairly close to the transition area and along the run course. I sat in my car and ate and watched people run by. At around 11:30 I gathered up all of my stuff and headed toward the transition area. They weren't supposed to open it to the recreational competitors until noon but they were letting people in so I went in too. I set up my stuff near the bike in/out so I wouldn't have to run very far in my cycling shoes. After I set up everything I milled around for a bit then grabbed my wetsuit and headed to the lake.
Event warmup:

I got in the water and swam a little bit before the pre-race meeting. The water felt a lot colder than last year but no too cold. Soon everyone was called out of the water for the pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 06m 3s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

The waves are self seeded according to how fast you swim. I was debating on whether or not to swim in the first wave because I was worried that I would get beat up by a bunch of guys. I had settled on going with the second wave but no one wanted to go out in the first and they needed more people to fill it up. I decided to bit the bullet and go. Since I crossed the mat at the very end I couldn't get a space at the front of the pack so I decided to sit back and wait a couple of seconds after the horn went off to find an opening. The wave went off pretty fast and surprisingly I did not get kicked or hit at all. There were a lot of really fast swimmers for me to draft off of and I only had to sight a little bit. I swam into the shore as far as I could and then sprinted out of the water. I ran up the slope and passed a girl along the way. I even remembered to unzip my wetsuit before I took off my swim cap this time.
What would you do differently?:

I would like to get faster but all in all I think this was a good swim and it was over a minute faster than my time last year.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

My wetsuit came off easily. I put on my shirt, shoes, helmet and was off. I tried to spend as little time as possible cleaning of my feet.

I think I can still improve here. I my time in T1 was about mid pack.
Bike
  • 42m 47s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.02 mile/hr
Comments:

The first part of the course is a gradual uphill climb. I felt really good starting out and I even passed a few people. (A car honked at me at one point when I was passing someone. I am not sure where they thought they were going because there were a lot more bikes in front of me for them to pass but whatever.) Then it seems like the course is all downhill and it seems to never end. I felt really comfortable flying down the hills and picked up a lot of speed. This was my third year doing this race so I was fully aware of the horrible hill ahead of me. I tried to keep my legs spinning so I would be prepared to use them on the hills. When I finally hit them I think I did a good job. I passed some people and I even made it up the steepest hill that I have had to walk my bike up both times I did this race before. It was tough but I did it!

Other than needing to get more saddle time I am pretty pleased with my performance. I was almost 10 minutes faster than last year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I felt really wobbly after getting off my bike and it took some effort to keep myself balanced. I am glad I racked close to the bike finish so I didn't have to run very far.

I need to work on faster transitions. I was about mid pack here.
Run
  • 27m 55s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran most of the course but I did walk some of the hills. I know I could have done better. I think I have a mental block when it comes to running. I don't think that I am any good at it so I set myself up to do poorly. Not good. The last half of the run I really got into a groove and paced myself off some guy that was running a good speed for me. Once I rounded the last corner I really kicked it up and sprinted to the finish. I passed three or four people on the way in. It felt good to really push myself. This really showed me that I can give more during the run than I think. That said, I was almost 10 minutes faster than last year.

Don't give into my negative thinking and run more.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed some water and walked over to talk to Toni who came to the race to cheer on some friends who came over from Eastern Washington to race. I stuck around to watch the awards and then left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to work on biking and running but those have improved a lot since last season. I can see that my hard work is paying off but I still have a long way to go.

Event comments:

This race is one of my favorite races. The course has just the right amount of challenge for me and it is a good race to gauge my training progress. I actually did very well at this race. I was a whole 20 minutes faster this year as compared to last year! I am very happy with my performance.

Last updated: 2007-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:03 | 440 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/27
Overall: 5/174
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back in Lake Padden
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:47 | 10 miles | 14.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/27
Overall: 80/174
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around Lake Padden. First part of course mostly downhill. Last section of course has some steep hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:55 | 02.6 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/27
Overall: 115/174
Performance: Average
Course: One loop around Lake Padden
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: Padden Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-07-10 1:35 PM
in reply to: #877788

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Padden Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Good job Harmony.  I couldn't get out there to watch (I work on Saturdays).  I live just off the last bike climb ( only go up the first block and turn off).   I haven't done the whole climb since I did lake padden 3 years ago....

So good for you on doing the whole bike.

How's the knee doing these days?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Padden Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed