The Foothills Charity Triathlon
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 48s
Overall Rank = 52/70
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 23/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:25am - already had everything packed and ready... the bike was in the car, just needed to grab my water bottles out of the fridge. Ate a bowl of weetabix and drank a bit of gatorade.
Event warmup:

I biked a couples blocks to the transition area from where the body marking area was at. I Jumped in the lake with a couple of newbies who had never done a race before. I just suggested they familiarize themselves with the entry and exit (I remembered a ton of rocks at the beginning last year). I also remember the exit being absurdly slippery... I was right.
Swim
  • 11m 55s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good swim... my jock strap said I was going really fast, but I was nearly 2 minutes slower than the same swim last year!! Maybe it was a slower group... it was definitely a bigger group.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much, although I really should have practiced a bit more with my wetsuit on. My shoulders were killing towards the end of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Didn't really catch my T1 time, it was added on with the bike time. Nevertheless, I think it was close to 2 minutes. I also had a chocolate GU - probably not necessary... but yummy. I sat down to put my bike shoes on since my back doesn't allow me to bend over and stay balanced at the same time... but the transition was quick for me.

I liked this transition.
Bike
  • 49m 41s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.15 km/hr
Comments:

I should really try drinking some water.

I should really, really try drinking some water.

I would also like to get a cadence monitor for my bike. I think I could have used it more efficiently than my HRM. I would also like to practice more hills before my races.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

So I went up the wrong side of the rack and I decided to DUCK the rack and hang my bike a long the way. WOW, that was dumb. I really need to practice the re-rack portion. I never get my bike in the right spot... and had I been any slower, there would have been a lot more bikes in my way!

I really need to think about re racking. In fact... when I found out after the race that I had cut my chin... I thought it was from the ducking incident... my husband clarified that it was a swimming injury though.
Run
  • 35m 23s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 05s  min/km
Comments:

Running is still my huge weak point. I really want to be faster, but my brain can't handle it. I was happy and relatively comfortable on the run, but I feel like if I push it I will crash and end up walking. I really need to brush up the mental side of the competition in the run. I also started cramping in my back for the last 2 km of the run.

I have heard this stuff called water can really improve a running performance!!
Post race
Warm down:

I did a smidge of stretching and proceeded to wander around in a daze like I usually do after a race. I love that dazey feeling that comes with the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I still think I struggled over the past few months with my off and on back problems. I lost a little motivation and also lost some training time. I also think hydration plays a factor in my races. I am happy I always take a few gulps in the lake since that is the only hydration I take in during my race.

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race last year and this year... as I mentioned the race route was well marked, and there were volunteers at all the major intersections and turn around points. There was a BBQ afterwards and some info on the Charity. Loads of nice, chatty people around to talk to. Great race and a worthwhile cause as well.

Last updated: 2007-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:55 | 500 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/31
Overall: 25/70
Performance: Good
173 was my average HR on the swim... the water was warm enough but the air was quite cool. Jason said I started well and was definitely front of the middle of the pack. I was much better at sighting this time... although I did get a pretty good kick in the chops and have a bruise and cut on my chin. I have no recollection of that happening but Jason said he noticed I was bleeding when I got out of the water.
Suit: O'Neill 2/3mm
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 15C / 59F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:41 | 20 kms | 24.15 km/hr
Age Group: 18/31
Overall: 38/70
My average HR on the bike was 166... I really could have picked it up a lot, but I wasn't using the HR for pacing. I was really cold on the ride and there was a pretty stiff breeze. I think that slowed me down. Also, I didn't need the sunglasses as the light was really flat! I nevertheless passed people!! That has NEVER happened before. I also stayed in the aero bars for most of the race... although there was a really steep downhill with terrible potholes... I thought my arms were going to vibrate off. I also failed to drink ANY water during the bike portion. My husband also shouted out HUBBA HUBBA while I was on the bike... it was really nice!
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: This was a nice course that led out to a little country road... lots of pocky pavement and a couple short, solid little hills. Thank goodness for well marked routes since I have never even so much as looked at the map for this!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:23 | 05 kms | 07m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 28/31
Overall: 64/70
Performance: Average
My avarage HR was 173 on the run. I really want to make my run time more competitive, but I have yet to swing it. There was a woman in front of me running slow, and then she walked... I ran up beside and told her she didn't have to walk, she could keep up with me!! So she and I ran together... we chatted. My husband said this was a little "soft core" - he thinks I would have been faster if I ran by myself and left her in my dust, but I preferred the friendly route and I think she kept me going as much as I did her. Thanks Nicole from West Hillhurst!
Course: Really flat course, mostly through pathways and sidewalks. Almost no traffic at all to deal with. Once again, I drank no water whatsoever on the run, except a tiny cup of water at the water station. Mostly because a really cute little girl was giving it to me and she looked sad that no one was taking her water.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes