General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AOUCH !!! Shin Splints ! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-28 7:16 PM

New user

Subject: AOUCH !!! Shin Splints !
Hi everyone, I had a couple quick questions for you all.
First, I just started to run again last week, and have been having a horrible time with shin splints. I use to run cross country in high school (4 years ago) and NEVER had a problem with them. But now, they burn and ache a lot. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to stretch them out, or anything else that might make them go away!
Another question, weather I do a swim, bike or run workout I notice that I always have a burst of energy at the end. Does that mean I am not pushing myself enought DURING the workout. I tried going out faster, but notice that I die a lot quicker, so towards the end, I dont have any burst left in me, but I am also considerably slowing down my pace. Any advice?
Thanks a lot, hope all is good in the triathlon world !

2004-09-28 8:06 PM
in reply to: #67562

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: AOUCH !!! Shin Splints !

Shin splints are common with new runners who try to do too much too soon. And, yes, after a four-year layoff you are a new runner.

Rest, ice, compression elevation (RICE).

Proper pacing is a hard thing to learn, give it a little time and keep experimenting. Soon you'll find what works for you.

2004-09-28 9:58 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Raise your leg in the air and try pointing your toes...that should work that area a little bit. Try with knee bent and with knee straight. Rolling the foot around in a circular motion can also help.
2004-09-28 11:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-28 11:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-29 3:07 AM

Okinawa, Japan
I agree I have always had shin splints off and on for the last ten years. After I have found the right shoes I will stretch my calf muscle out. I focus on calf stretchs more than any other stretch. For a time the shin splints go away and when they come back I will immediately replace my shoes. I am assuming you have new shoes and since you were a runner you have the proper shoes, so it leaves me to believe that inflexibility is the root of the problem I agree with the all the above post about iceing it and taking anti- inflammatory. Now if you are talking about feeling a tightness on the large muscle that is on the outside next to the shin bone. You said it aches and burns alot. That is just something you will have to work through it will go away. I don't think this is a shin splint. I have experience this when I have run in different areas of the country. For ex. if I was doing a lot of training in CO where I use to live and on vacation to FL I feel a tightnes in my shin muscle when I run there. OR sometimes would feel it running on a treadmill vs running outside. So just keep on going slow and don't worry about the burst of energy at the end. Over time you will go faster and will still have that kick. That is my 2 cent worth of maybe 4 cents

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AOUCH !!! Shin Splints ! Rss Feed