United States
Dallas Athletes
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 10s
Overall Rank = 76/295
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/20
Pre-race routine:

Had my prerace pasta the night before! Perfect!

Woke up about 4:20am, and got ready while Raegan got the boys up and in the car. Had two cinnamon waffles (no syrup), banana, water, and coffee for breakfast.

We got a great parking spot when we got there- right towards the front of the lot and only three rows in! I quickly got my stuff to transition, so that I could hit the potty line. After an hours drive to get there, I really needed to go! Raegan kept the boys entertained at the van until the race was about to start, so that I could do all of my usual pre-race stuff- set up transtion, go to the bathroom, walk around, socialize, warm-up, go to the bathroom some more, etc...
Event warmup:

Went for a very short warmup run, and then decided I needed to go to the bathroom one last time before the race. Stood in line for about 10 min. and started panicing when sprint waves were already going. I had just gotten in when they annonced that the sprint women were about to go in 30 seconds, but then a few seconds later they corrected that to mean under 29 females were about to go. That got my HR up there so that counts as part of my warmup!
Run
  • 07m 33s
  • 1 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run! I knew that the second run would be a lot harder and hotter, so I figured I better make the most out of this first run.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

1/20- fast T1 for me. Everything went smoothly.

nothing
Bike
  • 52m 34s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 20.09 mile/hr
Comments:

My ride started out with me having a little trouble getting my shoe clipped in. Got it clipped in and got down to business! It was pretty crowded heading out, but most people did a good job of staying to the right unless they were passing. However, there was one girl that was blocking the left lane when a girl in front of me and myself were trying to get by. She wasn't trying to pass anyone that I could tell and she had enough room to get to the right. So I yelled at her to move over to the right. The girl in front of me thought I was yelling at her, so I had to clarify by yelling- "Team inTraining" move to you right. She finally got the message and scooted over for the one girl to pass, but then started moving over when I was passing. I yelled at her that she needs to stay to the right. I feel bad for yelling at her! I'm sure she wasn't thinking very kind thoughts of me. But, at least that might have cleared the path for more people to get by her, too.

The rest of the ride went great! Craig (DocShock) and I kept passing each other, but he left me in his dust at the turn around. I think he was off chasing down Kelley (Mom23), since Kelley flew by us before the turn around. I hsve a hard time telling who people are on their bikes, so I didn't even know I passed Doug (dblack) until he said something to me after I passed. Towards the end of the ride I started playing tag with this other guy, who I later found out is the husband of a girl I grew up with (she was out there jockstrapping).

I feel really good about my ride overall. I should have used Kelley as a rabbit once she passed me. I missed my opportunity!
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

5/20

This was a typical time for my T2. I don't know why, but I can't seem to get it under a minute. I did accidentally take off one of my socks when pulling off my bike shoe. I briefly hesitated to figure out my options, and quickly decided it would be faster to pull off my other sock along with my other shoe and run without socks (which I usually do in a typical tri). I also decided to take one last sip out of my aero bottle since the straw was right there.

Practice changing from my bike to running shoes, don't take an extra sip of water, and go sockless from the beginning!
Run
  • 26m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This turned out to be a good run for me. Everything went right! I had anticipated needing to walk quite a bit, because the day before the race when I went out running, the heat got to me. Except for at one of the drink station to take a gu and for about 5 seconds during one of the sunny stretches, I was able to run the entire way. Of course, my legs felt heavy for the first mile or so like they usually do, but after that, they felt great. I did pour water on my head a couple of times to make sure I stayed cool. I think it must have really helped, because the heat never did over power me. I am thankful that I was only doing the sprint and not the oly. Otherwise, I'm sure I wouldn't be writing the same thing about my run!

Just like on the bike, I have a hard time recognizing people when I'm running. I think I just get in a zone and other people are a blur. I did however, see Maurice (Dad23), Kelley (Mom23), and Doug (dblack) on the run. I heard my name a couple other times, but I must have been zoned out at those times, because I never saw who said it. Sorry!

Nothing. I had a great run- no stomach issues, no sloshing sound, no cramping, nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a drink and just tried to let my hr come down before talking with anyone. I then found my favorite jockstrappers- Raegan (rgill) and our boys. We ate, hung out, chatted with friends, and collected a interesting piece of hardware (vinyl).

We would have chatted more with all of the BTers afterwards, but we wanted to keep our boys in the shade, since they were starting to get tired of being in the heat. They did awesome out there cheering me on. They love the adventure of getting up early and coming out to the race, but by the time it's over (especially if they have to wait for the awards), they are ready to be gone!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

This race ended my 26 week plan I had been following, so I was very happy how this race went for me. It was a great conclusion to my plan! Now to get ready for the Longhorn HIM!

Last updated: 2007-07-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:07:33 | 01 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 0/295
Performance: Good
Course: out and back on park road
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:52:34 | 17.6 miles | 20.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/20
Wind:
Course: park and county roads- out and back
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:14 | 03.11 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/20
Course: mostly on shaded park trails
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Disco Triathlon (Duathlon)

2007-07-09 10:03 PM
in reply to: #878328

User image

Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon (Duathlon)

Wow!!!  That was an awesome race and incredible times - all of them.  You've come a long way!!!

Check out the pic of Sue (and of the woman doing unnatural yoga moves in the background!!  YIKES!!!

Thanks for the picture Kelley

Edited by rgill 2007-07-09 10:05 PM

(DSC02667 (2).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSC02667 (2).JPG (33KB - 18 downloads)
2007-07-09 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Great job and good to see you and Reagan.  Looking forward to Longhorn.
2007-07-09 11:16 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Awesome race! I am so glad to hear that you are doing the Longhorn HIM. Doug said you all have already made hotel reservations. Let us know where you are staying.
2007-07-09 11:20 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
congrats on the race.. and hey sometimes people need to be told/reminded that they are doing something wrong or potentially dangerous, so don't think twice about telling the blocker to move it over...
2007-07-10 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Great race, Sue!  Congrats on getting hardware, again!

Way to be 'The Enforcer' out on the bike course.  (I got caught next to someone like that -- wouldn't stay left and then every time you passed him, he wouldn't fall back, but would sprint up ahead on the right.  Very frustrating, until we reached the split point.)

Do you have your Longhorn plan set yet?  We're in the same boat -- this was then end of the previous plan, and Longhorn is the next goal.

Nice pic.  The only way my body bends like that is if I break something first.

2007-07-10 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Congrats on the hardware!  And good job setting people straight on the bike!

Good luck with your HIM training.

2007-07-10 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great race Sue. Thanks for clearing a path on the bike.
2007-07-10 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job Sue! You had an awesome race and an incredibly fast first run...sub 8 minute miles are hard to come by (at least for me). Looking forward to a great time at Longhorn!
2007-07-10 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

First of all, congrats on the hardware!!!  I was kinda pissed that the Athenas got pint glasses.  I wanted vinyl!

Second, Derek and I are looking at that pic with our mouths hanging open, saying WTF???  How can someone bend like that? (and where can I learn?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon (Duathlon) Rss Feed