General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Multisport Club
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 49s
Overall Rank = 31/80
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 12/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 am after about 5 hours of sleep. Had a bagel, peanut butter, honey and a banana. Washed it down with 2 big glasses of water. Checked the weather forecast...it looked great so at that point I knew it was going to be a good day. After emptying the bladder numerous times, I packed up the truck and headed out to Regina Beach. Arrived at Regina Beach at around 6am and went down to the beach area. The registration desk hadn't opened yet so I just walked around to loosen up. Went back up to the top of the hill...racked my bike and set up transition 2/3 then came back down to register and get body marked and receive the timing chip. Had a few sips of gatorade and water every 15 minutes then set up transition 1 on the grass area. During the pre-race meeting I started putting on the wet suit after apply at least 1/2 container of body glide. Putting on the wetsuit always gets the adrenaline flow since it signifies the impending race.
Event warmup:

Didn't do much of a warm up other than walking back and forth to the bathroom. Got in about a 3 minute warmup in the water before the start.
Swim
  • 21m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

There's no way each loop was 750m unless I turned into Ian Thorpe overnight. I could tell by my time when I came out of the water after the first loop. We heard the loop was about 150m short so 300m overall. Even with that I still swam a time that totally exceeded my expectations...especially considering my lack of training and confidence in swimming long distances.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to draft better. My drafting is pretty much non-existent right now. Could also do a better job of sighting but overall I'm very happy with the swim. In Pike Lake I was 85/96 in the swim...today I was 52/80...big improvement.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

There were 2 transitions from swim to bike. Came out of the water and crossed the timing mat...at that point I pulled the wetsuit down to my waist...ran across the street and onto the grass where I was greeted by a friendly volunteer who wanted to rip my wet suit off. I layed down and within seconds it was off. I had to look down as I thought my tri shorts had come off with the wetsuit...lol..but luckily they had stayed on. Wiped off my feet, put on the socks and shoes, hat and sunglasses...took in a Carb boom gel and took off with a bottle of water. From there we had to run uphill 700m to get to the bike transition area!!! Uggggh! What a tough way to start off the next portion of the race! I passed a few people up the hill and just tried to keep it steady all the way up. Entered the 2nd transition area...removed hat and shoes...put on helmet and bike shoes...took in a shot of gatorade and water and ran out to mount the Giant. I was ready to pass some people!

Not much. My transitions were very quick. I tried to keep it simple and not have any unnecessary items in the transition area, which really seemed to help. At some point it may be helpful to learn how to mount the bike with the shoes already clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 25s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.14 km/hr
Comments:

The bike portion was great! The first loop was really fast on the way out. Had a bit of a tail wind which was very noticeable as a headwind on the way back in. Passed quite a few people on the way out. Only got permanently passed by one rider during the bike. Didn't feel too bad though when I saw he had an Ironman tattoo on his calf. Played cat and mouse with another rider during the entire 40k ride. We really kept each other going. He was wearing Ironman Canada clothing and it gave me some confidence that I could keep up to someone who had completed Ironman. At the end of the first loop you had to make a hairpin turn to head out for the second loop. The volunteer was sleeping at that point and I ended up turning right and going an extra 30m instead of making the turn immediately. That was frustrating since a few people I had just passed managed to re-pass me so I would have to pass them again in a few minutes. I said a few choice words...mostly to myself as I would never get pissed off at a volunteer but I felt like saying "Hello...Hello? Do you speak English?? Where do I turn?? HEY YOU!!"...but it's all part of the race. After I passed the riders who had just passed me, I felt a bit better. Loop 2 was even quicker. Hammered it right to the finish. If you take out the transition time...my total bike time only for 40k was 1:09 which was over 34k/hr. Hey I'll take that!

Yell at the volunteer to wake up! (Just kidding). There's not too much I would do different. I actually think I could have rode even harder at certain points but because I lack race experience, I didn't want to end up bonking. Could probably have drank a bit more but nutrition felt right on.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition 3 was awesome! I ran into the bike rack area...mounted my bike took off helmet and shoes..put on hat and running shoes, drank some gatorade and water and I was off to the races. That was probably my quickest transition ever.

I forgot to put in my speed laces so I have to remember that for next time. Get in more training on the bike outdoors.
Run
  • 52m 21s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

This course is easily the toughest 10k I've run. There are hardly any flat spots...all uphill or downhill although there sure seemed to be a lot more downhills! At the end of loop, had to run back down to the beach area then climb the hill again and do it all over again. Stopped a couple times and walked a few seconds up the big hill. The incline to the aid station at the turn around point seemed like Mount Everest! lol. During the run I tried to focus on all the hard work and training I had put into this sport over the past year, and every time I got tired and wanted to stop I would push on and think..."No way...I'm finally going to finish a race...I've worked too hard not too!". Got to the top of the last hill and then it was downhill the last 700m to the finish. I sprinted down the hill and managed to catch a guy with about 100m to go...we pushed each other to the finish line and I edged him out by a meter. I can't believe neither one of us wiped out as it certainly would have been on America's Funniest Videos! At that point I looked at my watch I saw 2:26 and was ecstatic. I dedicated this race to my Dad who passed away of cancer at the age of 62 last July 11th. Last year at this race was when we brought Dad into the hospital in Regina when his condition started to deteriorate. When I crossed the finish line I stepped off to the side, had a couple minutes to myself and remembered my Dad and what a great man he was and how lucky I was to have experience what an awesome Father he was to us. It was important to put life into perspective....sure I've had a rough year injury wise, race wise etc. but I would give anything to have my Dad back but I know he was with

Possibly push a bit harder. I still had something left in the tank but the hills took a lot out of me. I didn't seem to have the confidence to charge up the hills. I seemed to give in too easily. I needed to do more hill training in preparation for this race. Also not sure why I wore a hat...I haven't wore a hat running in quite a while...this might have caused me to over heat a bit but I don't think it was a big deal.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit....grabbed some water and a banana. Didn't really feel the need to sit down or anything. I felt like I could go back out and do more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Confidence in the hill climbs...I think I held back too much on the run. I needed to push myself out of my comfort zone way more than I did, but I think this may have been due to the lack of race experience this year.

Event comments:

Regina Beach is always a great race. The weather was awesome and there were so many good friends there. It was great to see Johno and Gwynne come out and cheer us on before leaving on their trip to France.

Last updated: 2007-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:34 | 1500 meters | 01m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 52/80
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 x 750m triangular loops...after completing the 1st loop we had to run up onto the beach and then back into the water for loop 2.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:25 | 40 kms | 33.14 km/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 29/80
Wind: Some
Course: 2 x 20k out and back loops on the highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:21 | 10 kms | 05m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 29/80
Performance: Average
Course: Friggin' hard, hilly, hilly, hilly 5k loop x 2.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-10 12:52 AM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Subject: Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-07-10 10:59 AM
in reply to: #878481

User image

Subject: RE: Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Congrats on a positively fantastic race!! I think I'll have to make a few trips down to Regina to do some bike training with you. You were sizzling out there!

Enjoy your trip to Greece - you've earned it!!
2007-07-10 11:08 AM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Thanks Andrea!  It felt so good to finally finish a race this year.  You can only train so much....eventually you want to reap the rewards as well.  I'm looking forward to next year's race season.  I'm going to change a lot of things including being smarter with my training.  Swim needs to get better and I need to get out and spend more time on my Giant and less time indoors on the  yellow Lemond with the 45 pound front wheel!!  And of course next year WILL be the year I do the Half Ironman.  Hope the rest of your summer goes well....good luck in your races and I'll talk to you at the end of August.  Take care!
2007-07-10 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

great race report buddy.

And even better race...I'm envious for not doing the Oly, but I don't want to steal your thunder.

You worked hard for this through all your grief and injuries...take a moment to bask in the glory!  

2007-07-10 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Awesome and inspiring! You looked strong out there and should be proud as I'm sure your father is of you right now too!

2007-07-10 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Thanks Marina....so which HIM are we going to conquer next year??

2007-07-10 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Sask.
Great race Nick, you looked really strong when I saw you on the run.
2007-07-10 9:53 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Well giddy the heck up... congratulations on a great race, Nick!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed