Canada
Triathlon Levis
Precipitation
Total Time = 12h 28m
Overall Rank = 5/17
Age Group = MALE
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 04:00 am (as usual). Took a hot spa with coffee 1 hour. Breakfast 3 toast with PB and honey (as usual). Finished packing up and left drinking a bottle of water and a coffee. Arrived at the event 2 hours before start which gave the best place in transition. Arrange my setup and went to the news on the Double Iron. Captured a few minutes of film.
Event warmup:

Nothing special. Streching in the spa. A few jogging steps on the site. And making sure to get my chip (almost forgot it last year).
Swim
  • 1h 10m 10s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

I just love OWS so was pretty fun. They started the 1/2 Iron as we were half way through the swim which made things a little hard to navigate but greater motivation as you pass.
What would you do differently?:

I really need to get out of my confort zone more often and push a little hard. I felt like I was doing my saturday swim with the club! Ajust the neck of swim suit properly as I'm now irritated there.
Transition 1
  • 05m 19s
Comments:

Though T1 was about 500 m from the swim things went well. Drank a can of Ensure,socks, shoes, glasses, race number,helmet, gloves and I was gone.

Practice to be faster.
Bike
  • 6h 08m 15s
  • 180 kms
  • 29.33 km/hr
Comments:

Weather at the start was almost perfect expect the fact of having headwind on the way. Nutrition was great a few bottles of gatorade, a few of coke, a few of water. 2 chocolat powerbars and 2 pita and ham sandwiches. (should of ate at least 1 or 2 more). Slowed down a few times to chat with 2 of my friends who were having a bad day. ( 1 finished the other DNF :( ) Had to stop once to take care of a bee stuck in my helmet, pretty scary! At the end the small climb was begining to play with my nerves and my legs needed to change sport! And to top it of I stopped at T2 and forgot to un-clip BANG bruised knee.

1.Though the bike was fine practice make perfect (more volume and speed).
2. Eat more solid as its easier on the bike.
3. Unclip at T2.
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

There's really nothing I could have done better expect the fact of unclipping the bike shoes before I stop.

Practice to be faster.
Maybe elastics inside of laces?
Run
  • 5h 01m 29s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 07m 08s  min/km
Comments:

Well I'm no Peter Reid or Macca so here's where things are alot to work on.Leaving the bike the run really felt wierd (as usual) but even after 1 loop (2K) my legs were feeling real stiff so I stop at girlfreind and applied some Myoflex (muscle relaxant) and stretch alot. After that things went very well as I was holding a 6:30 min/km pace which is a good pace for me. Had my MP3 player for the first 10k when the official aks me to take it off which I did. I walk a few times to hydrate and eat. My girlfriend did a lap with me which was really fun. All this walking really slowed my pace and I never got back up to speed. In the end the knees and legs felt sore.

Get nutrition and hydration better prepared for the run. Try not to slow down or stop unnecessarily. Work on strengthen legs and knees. Try to concentrate on the RACE and play with getting out of the confort zone.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing special, a little stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speedwork and concentrating on the fact that this was a race and not training. Push a little harder.

Event comments:

Well overall I'm happy of the results. My first Ironman and I finish 5/17 and under 13 hours is really great. Especially the fact that I slowed down to help friends and thanked my fan club. I also accomplish another goal, which was to take the time and thank at least 10 volunteers. Now training for the double begins! ;)

Last updated: 2007-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:10:10 | 3800 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 7/17
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: - 6 loops, back and forth in a straight line in the St-Lawrence River, around 15 meters from the shore. - This discipline will be under the surveillance of kayaks and motor boats - Water temperature around 23 degrees Celcius or 74 degrees Farnhenheit - Wet-suits are authorized at all times - Time limit for swimming : 2 hours
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:19
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:08:15 | 180 kms | 29.33 km/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 4/17
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: - 46 laps of 3,913 km on paved and relatively flat course (1 small climb). - To go, one secured lane but shared with trail users that are redirected in the street and return on bicycle trail used only by athletes - Crisscrossing is forbidden - No walk man or any musical device allowed during the race (MP3 or other). - You must wear a certified (approved) biking helmet. - Time limit for swimming and biking: 10 hours
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:01:29 | 42.2 kms | 07m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 6/17
Performance: Average
Course: Race (42.2 km) quick course - 21 laps of 2,01 km - Lighted and paved course (bicycle trail) course closed to circulation
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-10 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Quebec City
Subject: Triathlon de Lévis - Ironman
Guess what? I'm an Ironman! or for some other people a long distance triathlete.  ;)

Edited by LeCrac 2007-07-10 6:32 AM

2007-07-10 8:31 AM
in reply to: #878543

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Triathlon de Lévis - Ironman
Wooo. Congrats. You are not just an Ironman, but a sub 13 one at that. It sounds like the many loops on the course was good mental practice for the double. Now go and get that tattoo
2007-07-10 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Felicitations!

Very impressive day pour toi! 

2007-07-10 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Félicitations pour ta performance!

I think I'm going to swing by Lévis next week on my way to Rivière-du-Loup just to get an idea of what this course looks like. Who knows, I might do the HIM over there next summer instead of Peterborough.

Encore une fois, bravo!

2007-07-10 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Congrats!!! You are an Ironman and you had a great race! Super finishing time. You rock!
2007-10-19 2:10 AM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Bien jouer JAmes .

Mon Dieu que tu est en forme .

Je serais aller me coucher apres le velo . Hahahhaha

Felicitations

2007-10-19 3:11 AM

User image

NICE, France
Bravo avec ton premier IM et en moins de 13 heures en plus

Edited by Jedi 2007-10-19 3:11 AM
2007-10-19 8:18 AM

User image

Buttercup

Congratulations!

Are you doing the Levis Double or the VA Double??? There is a very strong chance I (and a few others) will return to VA to crew for someone - we just need a willing victim.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon de Lévis - Ironman Rss Feed